Hero: Mornost the Winter Warlock

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Hero: Mornost the Winter Warlock

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:31 am

Mornost

Winter Warlock

Hero's theme

Mornost came to life lost in a barren, frozen wasteland. He has no memories of any life before then, yet he had an understanding of language and other mental capabilities that an infant would lack. For years, he wandered the frozen wastes, seeking anything new, and was left plenty of time to develop his few thoughts. He decided that he wanted to good for the world, and has joined the Sylvan Elves after escaping the wastes in order to do so, as well as discover his past.

A golem of ice. He is a slender humanoid with blocks of ice that divide his limbs, and bears a faint white glow around his icy blue body. Mornost's head is also slender, with several thin icicles jutting upwards from the top of his head. In his hand is a massive hammer made of ice that he hold behind his back, tilted to the side.

HP: 520
Regen: 40
Melee: 28-44 Physical
Slams his hammer down every 2.5 seconds.
Armor: None (0%)
Speed: Slow
Respawn: 25s

Frostbites: 16s (1/2/3)

Creates 1/2/3 ice shards that pierce enemies for 15/35/70 True Damage, slowing them by 20/30/40% for 3/4/5 seconds with an equal percentage chance to freeze them for the same amount of time.

- Frozen enemies can be instantly killed if they are struck by an attack that takes off 10% or more of their health while frozen. Mornost's hammer is good for this.

Unthawable: 25s immediately after usage (3/3/3)

Coats himself in icy plating that absorbs 30/50/70% of all damage and allows up to 3 enemies to be blocked for 5/7/10 seconds.

Solstice Hammer: 18s after wearing off (1/1/1)

Imbues magic into the Winter Solstice Hammer, multiplying Mornost's damage output by 2/2.5/3 as True Damage until 300/450/600 points of damage have been dealt.

- The Winter Solstice Hammer glows bright blue, and creates a small shockwave that deals AOE damage with each attack, just large enough to hit 3 enemies if they were all being blocked by him.

Cold Warzone: 28s (3/3/3)

Generates a powerful cold in an area for 4/5/6 seconds that slows enemies by 20/25/30% and inflicts a 5/10/15% chance per second to freeze enemies for the remainder of the effect.

- Frozen enemies can be instantly killed if they are struck by an attack that takes off 10% or more of their health while frozen. Mornost's hammer is good for this.

Heatless Wasteland: 30s (3/3/3)

Drag a wave of ice to swallow a lane and freeze enemies on it, which can last for up to 6/8/10/12 seconds and can extend to up to 10/15/20/25 meters, slowing all enemies arrivig afterwards by 20/30/40/50%.

- When using this hero spell, the player can drag ice over the lane, choosing the direction and length of the ice spreading. A smaller AOE increases the freeze duration om the enemies that it washes over, which a larger AOE freezes immediate enemies for less time but slows enemies in a larger area. The duration for ice is a percentage of the maximum based on the percentage of the maximum length of the ice.
- When moving across a lane coated in ice, Mornrost can sled across it at quadruple speed, and deals 20 True Damage to enemies he passes by.

Playstyle: Mornost is a tank, capable of blocking foes without dying almost immediately. He can make himself nearly invulnerable for a time, blocking multiple enemies without worrying about them dealing so much damage that he dies in a flash, and also not having a consistent durability to make him capable of stalling a boss for minutes. He applies effects that last for a few seconds, making it helpful to keep things focused in one area so that each second is optimized for effecting as many enemies as possible. The multitude of slows helps prevent enemies from escaping the area around him. These over-time effects include a damage buff that allows him to become useful as an attacker, dealing strong to immense damage to enemies. His lack of abilities to deal massive damage makes him unreliable for tactics involving running into the fray and dealing massive dmaage before retreating; he isn't a glass cannon (despite being made of ice), he is a tank that benefits from staying in battle with enemies for a long time, unleasing his damage over the course of a few seconds.

The plethora of freezes also prevents enemies from damaging him back, keeping them in place where he both conserves health and stops enemies from making it closer to the exit. The shattering mechanic is meant for towers to finish off medium-power enemies more quickly, leaving larger ones available for Mornost to block and leave open to attacks from towers, who would the have less other targets to focus on. However, if Mornost needs to be moved, he can become mobile with his hero spell, dashing into a new area in an instant, leaving the enemies in that lane slowed greatly while he is gone. Alternatively, it can freeze enemies in a small area for a very long time, preventing the need to move and support a different area.
BBB

Re: Hero: Mornost the Winter Warlock

by Magnus0 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Oh wow, a tank hero. I wonder what kind of inspiration you had to create such an outrageously different hero type that can block up to tree enemies at once even.

That said, Mornost is a solid hero. pun entirely intended. Icy myself out...

No but really, Mornost is solid. He takes good damage, deals good damage, and has enough utility and uniqueness to not become boring. Ability synergy is very strong with this hero, which is something I always appreciate. The ice shattering mechanic has been done before, but it really works well here because it gives Mornost´s otherwise ´slow´, unreliable damage a big boost.

The backstory is kind of generic though, but that doesn´t really matter because the hero is so good anyways.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by The Kingmaker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:19 pm

^^^^

I basically mirror all of what Magnus said. The lore is basic but quick to the punch and serves it purpose, the balance between damage and tankiness is dealt with well and the overall balance is very good

The only other factor that stands out is that while the hero spell has a short cooldown, his other powers have reasonably long cooldowns, without a shorter, simpler power to provide a little reliable burst damage or tankiness. Perhaps the "powerful cold" or frozen enemies could have a chill that would allow for a chance to passively trigger a Solstice Hammer or Unthawable to provide some more intermittent damage while his abilities refresh.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:05 am

The lore is essentially a placeholder for now. I wanted to complete this hero within the spare few minutes that I had last night after I finished all of my homework. :P

I really appreciate the feedback! A long, detailed response is always so satisfying to read. :D

Keep in mind, Kingmaker, that this is a tank hero and not a glass cannon, which would have an excuse for insane damage-dealing. If I gave him the same consistent damage-dealing powers, Mornost would just turn into an OP abomination. Plus, I don't mind if heroes don't always have a skill active; I need time for micromanaging barracks, placing spells, building/upgrading towers, and calling waves. Not to mention that a slow tank shouldn't constantly be unleashing abilities. He needs to have some time for his basic attack so that Solstice Hammer gets use, as well as time to heal.

In fact, I considered cutting out Solstice Hammer and including another defensive ability, but:

a) Mornost needs some way of dealing reliable damage
b) Another defensive power would ruin or at least weaken the synergy with his shattering abilities
c) The name "Solstice Hammer" is too cool to omit ;)
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:14 am

Ugh, you post this whilst I'm in the process of making an elemental tank hero. Only mine is fire and yours is ice.
Yes it's me

by The Kingmaker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:42 am

@bbb I understand all that, especially how awesome "Solstice Hammer" is, I simply suggested a little intermittant damage or invulnerability to provide something in the times when he'd just be standing there like a melon doing nothing but whacking now and then.

And also I sympathise with RaZoR LeAf, I'm making and earth-Elemental tank at the moment :/
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Ninja » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:30 pm

I could make an air Elemental to finish the complete set. :P
:hero:
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Ninja wrote:I could make an air Elemental to finish the complete set. :P

We're missing a Heart Elemental. Then we can summon the Planet Elemental.
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:09 am

you told me to review this so you would review mine even though I don't like reviewing, so fine
I do like the frozen mechanic.
Statwise, I don't have much to say, since I don't really judge those.
Cool names as well.

Where does the name Mornost come from?
so there, done
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:56 pm

AerisDraco wrote:you told me to review this so you would review mine even though I don't like reviewing, so fine
I do like the frozen mechanic.
Statwise, I don't have much to say, since I don't really judge those.
Cool names as well.

Where does the name Mornost come from?
so there, done

Aeris, you have your own hero review in response now. :)

I tend not to derive my names from anything (part of why I'm bad at naming things) but I think that I subconsciously got Mornost's name from "morning," when it's usually cold, and "frost." Plus, the name is slower to pronounce with long 'o' sounds, which matches a cold, tanky hero. :P
BBB