VOTING - Standalone Level

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Re: VOTING - Standalone Level

by AerisDraco » Sat May 30, 2015 11:42 pm

@RaZoR:
Hmm, you're right about the "overstretching the angle" part. The idea was kind of based on the same concept as Razz & Rags, a little guy(tribe) getting pushed around by all the others. However, I still think having the main evil gnome would be a necessity. Also, whoops, I didn't realize there was a maximum to the no. of enemies.

Also, how did you put the level icon on the locations for this?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Sun May 31, 2015 2:00 am

RaZoR LeAf wrote:I was initially surprised that it wasn't an ice level considering that area of the map is all frozen over.

I envisioned the actual level taking place in the other side of the sea, the right rather than left where you placed the strategic point. I figured that since a sea was there, then it was going to be less cold and thus not guarenteed to be frozen like the nearby Stormcloud Mountain. :P

I like the idea of sharing the thought process for how the level came into fruition, so I'll just steal that idea and do it myself:

This level's enemy design is very deeply inspired by Bloodborne, which is quickly ranking up to one of my favorite games (though Dark Souls is still better IMO) and got my imagination running faster. Bloodfeeders take advantage of damaging enemies to regain health, similar to how the player in Bloodborne can replenish their health by damaging foes after losing HP for a couple of seconds. Bell Keepers are functionally identical to summoners in BB, being able to create copies of enemies that can infinitely respawn by ringing a bell. I made the appearance very distinct, but even the fact that you can hear the bells just when they move is reminiscent of the game. Amygdalas also have a different appearance and behave somewhat differently, but that's mostly due to it being an RPG being transferred to a TD game. They are simply just massive enemies imposing equally large threats to the player, but can be countered with reflexes and attentiveness. Rhanyam is mostly unique from Bloodborne except that his name is an anagram of Yarhnam, the main city in Bloodborne for most of the first act.

I came up with the sludge randomly, but I figured that it was worth keeping because as long as I didn't go into detail about it, the locations, amounts, and sizes of the puddles would be open to interpretation, leaving it up to you guys to imagine how difficult it would make the level and how you could counter it. I also wanted to break my own habit of dropping Rain of Fire on the entrances before calling a wave, just because I always noticed myself doing that and it was a bit devaluing to the tactical planning of when and where to use the spell for maximum effectiveness. I chose the location of Valoras because it was the only area in KR left that I felt had a cool name and could use some exploration due to the faraway north location of if, opening the freedom for something very isolated from the rest of the game. Some other places like the volcanoes near Pandaemonium wouldn't allow the freedom to do something really different, plus I'd already designed an Endless Mode for that place and in my imagination fanmade levels exist in the game and can't be copied over.

I will most likely refrain from the next contest because I'm in the mood to design my own fanfic stuff for now as I've had ideas floating about that are piecing together nicely at this time. If the contest intrigues me enough, I'll spend an hour or 2 whipping up an idea but it may not happen. Either way, I'll be excited to see more of the users' imaginations. ;)

Is it okay to reveal which entrants made which levels for the contest now that it has been concluded?
BBB

by Draconian » Sun May 31, 2015 3:53 am

Is it okay to reveal which entrants made which levels for the contest now that it has been concluded?

I was Siege of Otil.

Gnomes suddenly being evil when they have never shown it before is a bit of a stretch.

I think that Redcaps are gnomes.

Looking forward to the next contest!
So if I lied in order to get the color I wanted, would I still be black because that means I am willing to do anything to achieve my goals?
User

by The Kingmaker » Sun May 31, 2015 8:05 am

I was Verdant Edge :/

This is my first contest, I just wanted to have a go and see what it was like.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

Previous