Re: Kingdom Rush: Chronicles

by wailwail » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:13 pm

I love the campaign!

Just a side note: You don't have to make all the maps symmetrical :lol:
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Zonoro13 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Why does the Cottonmouth's attack increase? Is it ranged? There's no point in having two attacks if one isn't used.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Chimto » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:18 am

wailwail wrote:I love the campaign!

Just a side note: You don't have to make all the maps symmetrical :lol:

Only the 1st one is. If you look closer at the 2nd one, you can see: the southern path has more strategic points.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by phillipriv9 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 am

Oh yea your right. How did you make the levels as it would be very helpful in making mini campaigns, and such.
1 there I put something here
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:23 am

The enemies are pretty good, following the same idea of introduction as the others, though I'm sure that there won't be many first timers to the game by now. Especially since the Hawcarans are unique to this game (unless they somehow become another race like the Elves somewhere along the lines) and wouldn't make for a good introductory game anyways. Still, I like them and their names, though Cottonmouht sounds like it belongs in Plamts vs Zombies more than in KR. :P

The level 2 towers may need some tweaking. I like the idea of making them a little more expensive to avoid last-minute defences to catch leaks, but they're pretty much the same in terms of power, despite enemies not giving more gold. Mages especially are weaker than other lvl 2 mages, so now they seem very drastically underpowered, even more so than before.

Looking for positives, I like the level itself and the almost symmetrical layout. Plus, it seems there's a littl surprise there for your hero, and it introduces...

EQUIPMENT FOR HEROES!?!?!?

*Explodes*
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Alright, let's get this party started! :yey:

This level of detail is amazing, and I'll have to integrate a lot more into my stuff just to keep up. ;) The pictures are especially nice to have, as level layout descriptions are immensely tiresome to read no matter how hard you try to describe it decently. Were those troublesome to create, and was the difficulty of making them enough that they may not appear for every level?

Making them doesn't take long, it's deciding how the paths will go that takes the time up really. Once I'm drawing them, it helps me visualise how the level would work.

I really like the starting towers, especially the artillery. 3 quotes per tower, as hard as it is to make quotes, may not be all that much since they do get really repetitive already, as seen in the previous games. Still, it's good. The only actual dislike I have is how they follow the same balancing as towers from the other games, meaning that level 1 mages are really useless and completely cost ineffective, while artillery is really good at starting level. The equivocal numbers is referentially better for everyone, of course, but just the balance of the mages remains a problem throughout because of this.

I'm glad you like the artillery, they were actually the hardest to conceptualise. The quotes, yes, it's hard to come up with that many for the simple towers, but I will try to add more in time. As for the balancing, as I have said before it's not one of my strongest points, so the numbers and such for damage, cost, etc. will be off. But as you mention the power of mages in your second post as well, I will make some edits on their damage stats to see what I can do to rebalance them.

The freeze mechanic is, I'm assuming, a replacement spell for ROF, in which case, I like the contrast a lot. Forcing players to have to time it for situations where enemies can be dealt a lot of harm is great, as it fundamentally keeps the concept of waiting for an opportune moment to use the spell for great effectiveness, but those opportune moments will appear in different scenarios. It does have 2 foreseeable issues that would appear only if the game retains the likeness that it already appears to have with the other KR games, which are as following:

1) Freezing enemies gives more time to stop leaking foes. ROF was a terrible method of stopping quick enemies at low health from surviving at the last moment, and the fact that it took time to reach its target made it even harder to be effective that way. Here, you can freeze enemies and let reinforcements recharge or give your hero time to reach the enemies and kill them with much more ease, thus negating the strategic demand in every level.

2) AOE is even more useful than before now. Freezing a group of foes and letting new enemies pile up is a phenomenal, pretty much overpowered, way to deal thousands of damage with a Hero Spell and any potential hero/tower AOE specials. KRO wasn't imbalanced and repetitive because the archers' and mages' single-target damage was so good, it was because they easily replaced Druids with their AOE capabilities. The original KR also had a lot of repetitious usage of the Tesla for its amazing Overcharge upgrade, damaging tons of enemies with every attack.

Both problems can be avoided if the game is just balanced much differently, but in case it's not, I thought that I'd point that out. :)

Balance. Nyeh. You bring up good points, especially for the hero spell at the same time bit. I will have a think about it, but I may have to change the function of the spell if I can't get a better balance. I have an idea for a different hero spell for Mazwell if I do need to change back to Thunderbolt like Origins.

I adore, above all else, the emphasis on lore for the universe, which brings something new that other games definitely have been lacking in. Stuff about the Dwarves, this mysterious avian race that somehow couldn't make it into the events of any of the other games, and whatever else awaits is really good and well done. Other than mentioning that Dwarves are loud twice in the section with your own thoughts (was that for a joke?), it is truly quintessential. Well done thus far! :hero:

Dwarves are so loud it deserves mentioning twice ;)

Oof_Shunt wrote:Why the name 'Chronicles'?

Without giving too much away, this story is very focused on time.

Ninja wrote:The armor is a very cool idea. :D Too bad it can't be visual. :(
Also,what do mean by saying the Satin Shield reduces poison damage by 50%? :?:

I think TaTs explained before about why customisable heroes would be an issue, simply because the amount of animation required to accommodate ever different pieces would be a staggering amount of time and effort. There will be some kind of customisation at some point, but not until you've completed the main campaign.

Many enemies will have poisonous attacks, that deal a certain amount of damage over time. The Satin Shield reduces that damage. So, if an enemy caused 60 damage over 3 seconds, the shield would reduce it to 30 damage over 3 seconds.

The Kingmaker wrote:Some of the armour sounds a bit pay-to-win but beyond that is good.

It shouldn't be. Purchasing a hero will unlock certain pieces of armour throughout the game, but unless you have made the purchase, those armour pieces will not be available. There are no pieces for free heroes that would require a purchase to get them. The pieces you do get for buying a hero are in no way better than any other piece.

wailwail wrote:Just a side note: You don't have to make all the maps symmetrical :lol:

That's just how the first levels were planned out.

Zonoro13 wrote:Why does the Cottonmouth's attack increase? Is it ranged? There's no point in having two attacks if one isn't used.

Good catch. They don't have a ranged attack, so that's a mistake on my part. I will alter their ability in my next update.

phillipriv9 wrote:Oh yea your right. How did you make the levels as it would be very helpful in making mini campaigns, and such.

Photoshop.
Yes it's me

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:04 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:Without giving too much away, this story is very focused on time.

Not having played PvZ 2, I don't know if it's a good game. However, a time focused TD is still pretty archetypal, so I'm sure you'll go somewhere really interesting.
BBB

by phillipriv9 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:15 pm

It's a very good ga,e anyways back to to the topic.
Will you make a tower that relates to mining equipment, since this is a dwarf campaign thing.
1 there I put something here
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Level Three - Hidden Garden now posted.
Yes it's me

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:50 pm

I like the fluidity described in the (possibly main) villain's introduction at the end of Lvl 2; sorry for not mentioning that before.

Things are looking good so far. I like how you've given a fighting style to all of these serpents, making them require tactics that aren't very obscure to the player but still strategically demanding because of the combination of all of these enemies. With all the multiple resistances that enemies have, true damage seems stronger than ever in this game.
BBB

by Ninja » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:12 am

Wow!So much armor and magic resistance for enemies.I can see this game will be difficult. :shock:
I love the Visayans' coiling ability,it's awesome! :yey:
The Mambas seem very deadly. :skull:
I like the new achievement.Seems fun to click or tap on so many veggies while fighting enemies. :)
I like the game so far.Looking forward to the next level. :D
:hero:
User

by truteal » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Are the Serpents like this? (only with two arms) http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Dark-Eldar-Sslyth
User

by Ninja » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Why is there no Hp or Damage for the Mambas? :?:
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Ninja wrote:Why is there no Hp or Damage for the Mambas? :?:

It has yet to be decided, but the idea was already fully developed, so it was worth posting at the time. I imagine that Razor doesn't get as much time to dedicate to updating this as others do, so he has to work with what he's got. I may be entirely wrong, and rude for speaking on Razor's behalf, but I thought it was a good enough guess nonetheless. :P
Last edited by Big Bad Bug on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:56 am

Ninja wrote:Why is there no Hp or Damage for the Mambas? :?:

I just missed them out. Bear in mind that when I write things, I'm writing in all the bbcode as well, so my text file is heavy on numbers and code. Bits get missed out. If you spot some information is missing, just say "You've missed out ____", rather than questioning why it's not there.

Next level is coming soon, I'm just working out the skills for the Level 4 tower that's unlocked on it (sneak peak, it's a mage tower)
Yes it's me

by wailwail » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:51 am

Also, don't forget to update your signature.
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:31 pm

Will you be accepting suggestions for things, such as alternative ways to acquire hero equipment or possible achievements? Not that you HAVE to integrate them, but give them a listen in case they're worthwhile?
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Will you be accepting suggestions for things, such as alternative ways to acquire hero equipment or possible achievements? Not that you HAVE to integrate them, but give them a listen in case they're worthwhile?

Sure. The equipment I'm just adding as and when an idea comes into my head, as it's not an active part of the campaign, so any suggestions for that would be great. I'd also be happy to take any suggestions for additional tower quotes, or ideas for enemy abilities. I have already been 'suggested' an entire hero, complete with skills and lore. That's not what I'm looking for, as I can't cut out a hole in my plans for that, whereas I can bend and reshape for smaller ideas.
Yes it's me

by Staticbog » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:24 pm

If this game is real this opens up chances to find out more about Rurin long beard is he going to be a hero in this?
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:36 pm

truteal wrote:Are the Serpents like this? (only with two arms) http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Dark-Eldar-Sslyth

Yeah pretty much, just a little less armour.

Staticbog wrote:If this game is real this opens up chances to find out more about Rurin long beard is he going to be a hero in this?

His are either not born or just kids. Origins takes place about 20-30 years before Kingdom Rush. Chronicles takes place about 200 years before Origins.
Yes it's me

PreviousNext