Re: Kingdom Rush: Chronicles

by AerisDraco » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Chugga chugga choo choo!
The HYPEtrain is leaving the station!
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Lord of all evil » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:24 pm

I really like how KRC is progressing, the idea of armour is a real cool new addition, I also like the graphical content of the level, the problem is i'm not too good with it, so it would be good if I could get suggestions for how to make my levels more appealing, I'm planning on continuing the new scary themed campaign, I abandoned weeks ago. Help appreciated
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:21 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Chugga chugga choo choo!
The HYPEtrain is leaving the station!

Whilst sitting patiently on the Hypetrain, you see a scrap of paper under the seat in front of you. Checking around, you lean down and yank it free. It's a bit crumpled, but you manage to unscrew the paper without tearing it. It's almost unfolded. You hesitate. What if it's spoilers?

You choose to open the paper:
[+] SPOILER
OH MY GOD IT'S CONCEPT ART FOR ENEMIES!!

TOTALY WORTH IT!!

You choose not to open the paper:

Well there's nothing here, obviously, you didn't open it so no spoilers. Think about it some more whilst you ride the hypetrain.
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:23 am

WOAHHHHHHHHHH
THIS IS EXCITING

[+] SPOILER
Nice art btw
I believe those are
-some kind of skeletal shark/fish, likely effective versus barracks
-a bomb squid/ocotopus
-a floating squid/octopus that deals more damaged when enraged?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ninja » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:09 am

:o Cool!

[+] SPOILER
That squid thing that gets angry looks like a Pokémon. :lol: Also, nice skele-fish.
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:23 am

One option is clearly better than the other.

[+] SPOILER
I love how professional and formal you are about this whole idea. :D

The face demon seems extremely anime, or at least some sort of Japanese inspiration. I can't wait to see the creative differences between each mood in this enemy!

The fish looks like it was designed to be for a particular environmental addition, like how Leviathan followed a path strictly in the water. I'm not as confident in this speculation, but that would be a cool way to limit an enemy in order to give an excuse for it to be really dangerous. :twisted:
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Level Update!!
Level Seven - Southern Dunes

Introducing:
  • The Atlantae people who join us on the quest, bringing the powerful Atlantae Tridacna magic tower with them.
  • Syrenka the mystical mermage, a free hero that focuses on magic attacks.
  • Harvelle the honourable Valkyrie, yours for only $4.99
  • Four new enemies
  • Brand new terrain mechanics Tidal Motion

Updated:
  • New mechanics for the big spell. Gone is Big Freeze, replaced with Hail Storm

Comic Soon:
  • Lots of armour!
  • More premium heroes!
  • A level unique tower!
  • Levels eight and nine!

As always, the entire level is found in the first post. You can see Harvelle and Syrenka in the Heroes part of the first few posts. All (constructive) criticism welcomed and encouraged.
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:10 am

Dank.
Very Dank.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:30 am

"Comic soon" :lol:

I will read the update's details later.

The clam tower is so cool. I figured that this is the AOE Mage, but then I remembered that the other Mage also has crowd control. They seem to be made to be paired with each other, with one stalling enemies and the other making them take extra damage while trapped. It seems that they both require pretty specific situations since barracks can also stall enemies and artillery is meant for AOE, but they seem fun nonetheless.

The enemies are also cool. The ministars lose their armor, not magic resistance, as it says in their description. ;) A ghastly shark is also such a fun idea. I really appreciate that every enemy has special effects when underwater, just like every enemy has bonuses from the Full Moon in Shadowmoon.

Great update! :mrgreen:
BBB

by AerisDraco » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Are you going to update the world map anytime soon?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RaZoR LeAf » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:The clam tower is so cool. I figured that this is the AOE Mage, but then I remembered that the other Mage also has crowd control. They seem to be made to be paired with each other, with one stalling enemies and the other making them take extra damage while trapped. It seems that they both require pretty specific situations since barracks can also stall enemies and artillery is meant for AOE, but they seem fun nonetheless.

I saw this tower as very similar to the Arcane tower in Origins, the bubble it similar to the time vortex upgrade it has. So it's focused on stalling enemies which is useful because it's likely to be in the depths of the waters where other towers may not be attacking as quickly The longer it can stall enemies the more damage can be done to them by the other slower towers. The necessity for slowing them down will come as more and more water enters the levels (wait for level 9.. eek!) I may make some changes to the first magic tower to change it's focus away from crowd control and more to direct attacks.

The enemies are also cool. The ministars lose their armor, not magic resistance, as it says in their description. ;) A ghastly shark is also such a fun idea. I really appreciate that every enemy has special effects when underwater, just like every enemy has bonuses from the Full Moon in Shadowmoon.

Ministars will just need fixing, I changed a few resistances around to fit with the magic tower being added. My intention was very much to be like the Full Moon effect, as oppose to just copying the water feature of Frontiers.

Great update! :mrgreen:

Ta. What about the heroes?

AerisDraco wrote:Are you going to update the world map anytime soon?

Done
Yes it's me

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:08 am

Swift Swim is rather boring. The bonus speed in the water would fit better as a secondary in my opinion. I like the idea of her having an advantage underwater, though. Maybe if she had something like Grawl's Bastion, but for staying in the sea rather than on land, it could work much better. Normally I would be against this if only some levels and water and this become useless in other places, but because she's free, I think it works better for her to have a special niche in some levels to help other players.

Siren Song has a good purpose since it makes enemies more vulnerable to her massive damage rating, but it still seems a bit plain, mostly because I have a skill idea similar to that but executed much differently.

Soul Sever is really cool. I love how the higher her current HP is, the more healing that she'll get from it, which is contradictory in a way that makes it more balanced, so that you can't save her from death at low health but also not get an OP bonus at higher health in a directly proportional way to her health and her target's health. It does seem somewhat strong for it to deal 570 damage at full health, but I imagine that the cooldown is somewhere along the lines of Sha'tra's Abduction or Angry God, so it's perfect. :D

Sea Servants is a bit disappointing after reading Soul Sever. It's just like Arivan's skill, which wasn't very useful anyways. This one is a little better since it keeps her healthy to deal more damage with Soul Sever, but at the same time, the heal from that move becomes useless. This might work better if it was a debuff to enemies, such as:

Sea Servants: Summons 1/2/3 nautical nuisances that stun enemies for 2/3/4 seconds and deal up to 40/60/80 damage each before needing to rest for 20/18/16 seconds.

It would keep enemies in place for her attack as well as preventing them from attacking her, serving both purposes at once in a really cool way. Maybe they could even recharge twice as fast when she's under water to augment the environemtal playstyle that she has. :)

Maelstrom is also really cool. I have no critiques of it; it works in an cool way that still has a gameplay function that's creative enough to make it interesting to use and variable. Bonus points for originality.

Her stats are all fine. She reminds me of a Nivus-Elora mixture, built for sea combat. Her quotes are also very good references, though, I find it hard to picture her voice. I've never written this before, but I usually can imagine a hero's voice from their quotes, but this one has 2 sweet quotes and the rest, cynical, mean quotes.

I'll do the Valkryie after you read this and reply. :)
BBB

by Oof_Shunt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 am

I love the sea sorceress(es).
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:17 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Swift Swim is rather boring. The bonus speed in the water would fit better as a secondary in my opinion. I like the idea of her having an advantage underwater, though. Maybe if she had something like Grawl's Bastion, but for staying in the sea rather than on land, it could work much better. Normally I would be against this if only some levels and water and this become useless in other places, but because she's free, I think it works better for her to have a special niche in some levels to help other players.

That could work. I wanted her to be both land and water savvy from the start, like Karkinos but able to battle from within the water. That's really why I made it shallow as oppose to deep. The skill was based pretty much on Karkinos' Burrow, but I admit it is rather boring. Surprisingly, coming up with skills for her was harder than normal.

Siren Song has a good purpose since it makes enemies more vulnerable to her massive damage rating, but it still seems a bit plain, mostly because I have a skill idea similar to that but executed much differently.

I'll work on it

Soul Sever is really cool. I love how the higher her current HP is, the more healing that she'll get from it, which is contradictory in a way that makes it more balanced, so that you can't save her from death at low health but also not get an OP bonus at higher health in a directly proportional way to her health and her target's health. It does seem somewhat strong for it to deal 570 damage at full health, but I imagine that the cooldown is somewhere along the lines of Sha'tra's Abduction or Angry God, so it's perfect. :D

Yup, big cool down.

Sea Servants is a bit disappointing after reading Soul Sever. It's just like Arivan's skill, which wasn't very useful anyways. This one is a little better since it keeps her healthy to deal more damage with Soul Sever, but at the same time, the heal from that move becomes useless. This might work better if it was a debuff to enemies, such as:

Sea Servants: Summons 1/2/3 nautical nuisances that stun enemies for 2/3/4 seconds and deal up to 40/60/80 damage each before needing to rest for 20/18/16 seconds.

It would keep enemies in place for her attack as well as preventing them from attacking her, serving both purposes at once in a really cool way. Maybe they could even recharge twice as fast when she's under water to augment the environemtal playstyle that she has. :)

It was the last skill I added, very much a "crap, I need to fill this slow with something" moment. I like your idea, I'll work with it.

Maelstrom is also really cool. I have no critiques of it; it works in an cool way that still has a gameplay function that's creative enough to make it interesting to use and variable. Bonus points for originality.

It was originally a skill for the tower, but came across as too powerful for one skill, and became her Hero Spell as a result. Glad it worked out.

Her stats are all fine. She reminds me of a Nivus-Elora mixture, built for sea combat. Her quotes are also very good references, though, I find it hard to picture her voice. I've never written this before, but I usually can imagine a hero's voice from their quotes, but this one has 2 sweet quotes and the rest, cynical, mean quotes.

Saw her sweet quotes in a more cynical tone ;) I can't quite imagine her voice at the moment, but I'm sure I'll hear someone speak and think "yep, that's her".

I'll do the Valkryie after you read this and reply. :)

*thumbs up*
Yes it's me

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:18 am

"Only the pure of heart can master wield it" There are 2 ways to rewrite that sentence and deliver the same idea, so I'll leave it to you to fix it as you like or leave it because it isn't a distracting mistake.

I really like her first skill. 414 damage to lose the horse seems a little extreme, but I would forgive it if she didn't have such high armor. Harvelle is such a tank, especially for being so fast! This skill is OP, but I like the way it makes it valuable to keep her at high health in order to make her stronger.

Is Master Sword just an AOE skill? It seems a bit vague. I don't have anything to comment on this since it's such a simple ability.

Golden Apple is also hard to talk about, since it's exactly the same skill as Sybarite. In terms of balance, she's now even more tanky and hard to remove from her horse, but it's an aesthetically befitting ability and could be really awesome with some tweaks to its functionality, preferably in a way that gives it more of a playstyle.

The Fallen is a really good skill. Can revived units be killed again within 7 seconds? I assume so because the revival gives them a defence boost. I can imagine players using her awesome speed to dart around the map, reviving dying soldiers as they fall. It is fittingly heroic for a Valkyrie.

Her Hero Spell is even more awesome than Maelstorm. Don't change a thing about it.

One final critique is that her Hero Points add up to 39 total, though all Origins-style heroes go up to 36.
BBB

by Ninja » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:30 am

One final critique is that her Hero Points add up to 39 total, though all Origins-style heroes go up to 36.

That actually isn't a problem, because Origins-style Herod went up in total hero point from Frontiers-style heroes, so I don't see why the total hero points KRC heroes shouldn't increase once again.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:49 pm

Ninja wrote:

That actually isn't a problem, because Origins-style Herod went up in total hero point from Frontiers-style heroes, so I don't see why the total hero points KRC heroes shouldn't increase once again.

Look at all of the other heroes. They have random totals for all of their hero points. If the standard is 39, then everything else still have a problem, too. Plus, 39 has very few factors compared to 36, so I wouldn't recommend it over something like 48.
BBB

by Ninja » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:32 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Ninja wrote:

Look at all of the other heroes. They have random totals for all of their hero points. If the standard is 39, then everything else still have a problem, too. Plus, 39 has very few factors compared to 36, so I wouldn't recommend it over something like 48.

I didn't see that all the other heroes have raandom point totals. If that is so, then yes, they should all be changes to have equal point totals.
User

by AerisDraco » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Guido: 33
Maxwell: Unknown
Syrena: 27
Harvelle: 39
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:07 pm

The numbers have all been after thoughts. I will correct them to all be the same.
Yes it's me

PreviousNext