Kingdom Rush: Chronicles

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Re: Kingdom Rush: Chronicles

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:58 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:"Only the pure of heart can master wield it" There are 2 ways to rewrite that sentence and deliver the same idea, so I'll leave it to you to fix it as you like or leave it because it isn't a distracting mistake.

Corrected.

I really like her first skill. 414 damage to lose the horse seems a little extreme, but I would forgive it if she didn't have such high armor. Harvelle is such a tank, especially for being so fast! This skill is OP, but I like the way it makes it valuable to keep her at high health in order to make her stronger.

I've lowered the percentages slightly, to 30/40/50 just to balance it out a little more.

Is Master Sword just an AOE skill? It seems a bit vague. I don't have anything to comment on this since it's such a simple ability.

Yes, it's like Saitam's spinning attack.

Golden Apple is also hard to talk about, since it's exactly the same skill as Sybarite. In terms of balance, she's now even more tanky and hard to remove from her horse, but it's an aesthetically befitting ability and could be really awesome with some tweaks to its functionality, preferably in a way that gives it more of a playstyle.

It's meant to Sybarite because I really couldn't think of another skill to give her. I've added a distinction that it wont get used until she drops below 50% HP, which in turn with the mods I made to the steed skill, means she wont use it until after she has lost the horse.

The Fallen is a really good skill. Can revived units be killed again within 7 seconds? I assume so because the revival gives them a defence boost. I can imagine players using her awesome speed to dart around the map, reviving dying soldiers as they fall. It is fittingly heroic for a Valkyrie.

Yes they can be killed, but they wont revive again within that time.

Her Hero Spell is even more awesome than Maelstorm. Don't change a thing about it.

Okay :)

One final critique is that her Hero Points add up to 39 total, though all Origins-style heroes go up to 36.

AerisDraco wrote:Guido: 33
Maxwell: Unknown
Syrena: 27
Harvelle: 39

I've rebalanced the hero points (and added Maxwell's). Free heroes add up to 36, premium to 39.
Yes it's me

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Are premium heroes able to acquire all 39 points or do they have to leave 3 points unused?
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:39 pm

Not a proper update here, but I have spent a little time looking at Armour, balancing it and categorising it.

The main change I have made is to reduce it down to four items, taking out 'Shield' and merging it with 'Body Armour'. Everything that once came under shield is now under that category (which now has way more than all the others).

I have also applied attributes to each armour type to explain what stats it alters. Each armour type has two primary attributes, and one secondary attribute. So it will always have at least one of the primary attributes, and occasionally have a secondary. All armour types have a tertiary attribute, which is an 'Other' type that deals with bonuses like immunities or cool-down (for example). I've made a nifty little table to show how these attributes are spread out:

• Range gains affect how far a ranged attack will reach, and the catchment area for a hero to notice an enemy and engage with it, or engage an ability. The latter allows heroes without a specific ranged attack to still take advantage of the attribute.
  • Defence gains affect armour; though only physical, as magical armour is rarely featured on units at all. It determines how much damage a hero takes from an enemy attack.
  • Move(ment) Speed affects how fast a hero is able to move around the screen. It remains to be seen if this has any effect on teleporting heroes.
  • Attack gains will have an effect regardless of the attacks being melee, ranged or magic. This has the added bonus of giving ranged and magic heroes a boost to their weak melee attack stat.
  • D.P.S or Damage Per Second affects attack speed, rather than the attack stat itself. A hero will be able to perform attacks faster than they would normally, doing more damage over time.
  • Hit Points affects the survivability of a hero, how long it lasts on the field when taking damage.
  • Regeneration will increase the speed at which a hero regains HP. It's not going to be a big percentage as it's pretty important.
  • EXP Gain will give a small boost to how fast a hero gains EXP. Obviously once a hero reaches level 10, this attribute becomes useless, but it would provide a hell of a useful boost for a slow levelling hero.
  • Other attributes are for things like immunities to poisoning, burn, stun, freeze, etc. lowered cool-downs on Hero Spells, added effects like causing poisoning or burns. Not all the attribute possibilities have been decided yet.

The next feature is Grades. Armour is graded based on a few features. How rare or difficult it is to acquire and how big the gain is on its attributes. Again, I have a dinky table:

What does this mean for Armour? It means the armour I have made previously will be scrapped. Not the names or general use of it, but the attributes I have placed on them will be changed to fit into the new category system. It also means that, because of the grades I need to make a lot more armour than I had previously accounted for (assuming there are on average four to a grade, that's sixteen to an armour, sixty-four altogether and making sure they are all evenly balanced across all the heroes) so that will take a while.

As always, any of this is subject to change, as and when required to balance it out.

I have previously stated that I am open to suggestions on armour, so if you have any ideas for pieces of kit, please send me a Private Message and I will happily take your ideas on board.
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Can you give an example of an accessory?
Also, I assume a kit would be a themed set of armor, correct?

All in all, it does still look cool.

There are a few things you need to correct on some of the older levels.
-Big Freeze replaced by Hail (First level)
-Level intro Atheneum reference (4th level)
-Armor changes
Last edited by AerisDraco on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ninja » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:05 am

Cool. I think this is even better than the original idea, so I'm glad you thought more about the armor rather than just leaving it as a little extra content on the side for perfectionist players. :)
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:13 am

I like how fleshed out this idea has become! :D

I like the concept of giving extra bonuses for wearing a full set, to make otherwise inferior pieces become legitimate considerations for players to give to their heroes. ;)

Does it seem right to you to limit the types of bonuses that items can give? I always support more variety when you can create combinations in games, but if you have a plan for this then I won't question it. I can still foresee that some items can give more bonuses than they're allowed to, like weapons and range, or helmet and hit points, or accessory and almost all of the bonus possibilities.

A final idea that this gives me, though a stretch, is a randomised item distributor. Think of gems from enemies, but even more rare to appear. They would give items with a random bonus or set of bonuses, and can vary in how strong they are but also vary in rarity for balance. Speaking of balance, this would be a complex system to create and is best saved for when the campaign is finished or close to finishing, but a fantastic addition to the game if you create it. :)
BBB

by RZRider » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:17 am

What about some accessories ( very few) abilities kind of like a very basic hero spell. I know it would be a lot to do and should probably be added after the campaign is finished.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Feedback

AerisDraco wrote:Can you give an example of an accessory?
Also, I assume a kit would be a themed set of armor, correct?

Accessories will be things like charms, badges, medals, talismans, jewellery etc.

There will be themed kit, but some armour will just be generic but may fit into a themed set. Themes will be work out once I have names for all the armour.

There are a few things you need to correct on some of the older levels.
-Big Freeze replaced by Hail (First level)
-Level intro Atheneum reference (4th level)
-Armor changes

1 and 2 fixed. Armour changes will obviously have to wait.

Ninja wrote:Cool. I think this is even better than the original idea, so I'm glad you thought more about the armor rather than just leaving it as a little extra content on the side for perfectionist players. :)

I didn't want it to be a feature without detail, so I either had to improve it or remove it.

Big Bad Bug wrote:I like how fleshed out this idea has become! :D

I like the concept of giving extra bonuses for wearing a full set, to make otherwise inferior pieces become legitimate considerations for players to give to their heroes. ;)

Most definitely. Originally, I had all the best kit be for the sets, then realised why would anyone use a Bronze item, when there was a Gold item that worked better? So for a working set, you'll need a bit of each.

Does it seem right to you to limit the types of bonuses that items can give? I always support more variety when you can create combinations in games, but if you have a plan for this then I won't question it. I can still foresee that some items can give more bonuses than they're allowed to, like weapons and range, or helmet and hit points, or accessory and almost all of the bonus possibilities.

I see your point, which is why the Armour system is still up for radical change if necessary. Just looking at it the past few days has raised some issues with me, and I've changed stuff around. So it may still be altered as it goes.

A final idea that this gives me, though a stretch, is a randomised item distributor. Think of gems from enemies, but even more rare to appear. They would give items with a random bonus or set of bonuses, and can vary in how strong they are but also vary in rarity for balance. Speaking of balance, this would be a complex system to create and is best saved for when the campaign is finished or close to finishing, but a fantastic addition to the game if you create it. :)

Super rare items can be arranged, but they won't be part of sets for obvious reasons.

RZRider wrote:What about some accessories ( very few) abilities kind of like a very basic hero spell. I know it would be a lot to do and should probably be added after the campaign is finished.

They may add things like causing a burn or stun, but only a set will add an additional skill or spell.

Updates

I have added this games equivalent to the Gnome Shop to the Game Mechanics post on the first page. The Elf Trade Outpost is your one stop shop for single use items, all the way from across the Crystal Sea. Since the gnomes haven't left the Enchanted Forest yet, the dwarves will have to get their equipment from somewhere else. I've used an Elf because the game needs at least one, and this way they don't have a big role.
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Noice items. Though, methinks you are missing one.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:56 am

The Sentinel Totem is a neat weak for its price. Compare it to the Origins item that shot fireballs, dealing hundreds of damage per shot in an AOE. I'd prefer a reduced price, but an increased damage value would also work just fine.

Gold-enhancement, heart restoration, and speed-hindering are all missing from the roster of items, unless taken out because you don't like them. I have some ideas in case you want them:

Polymorph Wand: (300) Gnome magic causes all gems earned for 30s to be converted into lives for the player. (Players still get the gems, too.)

Hired Hunter: (600) Summons an elite Elven Hunter to slay enemies for 45s, giving the player double gold for all kills. (Hunter has 1,000 HP, 40-70 physical melee and ranged damage, and 50% armour. Wielding dual swords to slash every 0.5s and a longbow to shoot from a long distance every 1.5s, the hunter cloaks himself in a dark green hood and black leather armour.)

Black Hole in a Box: (200) Using High Elven Magic stored in a box, unleash a vortex that draws enemies in a large range toward it for 10s, trapping inside for the duration. Can be used to pull enemies forward or backward.
Last edited by Big Bad Bug on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBB

by AerisDraco » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:00 am

Polymorph Wand can be drastically OP, especially when combined with Chaotic Matter.
Also, considering time canon, Reg'son, Eridan, Lynn, and Alleria probably haven't been born.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:43 am

Curses.
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Noice items. Though, methinks you are missing one.

You're right I am.

Big Bad Bug wrote:The Sentinel Totem is a neat weak for its price. Compare it to the Origins item that shot fireballs, dealing hundreds of damage per shot in an AOE. I'd prefer a reduced price, but an increased damage value would also work just fine.

I will increase it's damage output. Does 120-180 sound better?

Gold-enhancement, heart restoration, and speed-hindering are all missing from the roster of items, unless taken out because you don't like them.

Speed-hindering is the Faery Dragon Egg. Thanks for the ideas, but I managed to come up with a heart restoration one on my drive home tonight.

Fairy Bottle (750 gems)
Three coloured lights in a bottle (pink, green and blue). Release these fairies onto the path and for a short time you will have three angry fae ready to fight anything they come across. They're not super strong, but they will engage enemies in a fight if they stray close enough. If a fairy dies in battle, it will give up its heart for you, adding it to your own (total of three hearts from each fairy). If the fairy kills its enemy, then it will become overjoyed and give up two hearts instead of just one (maximum of 2 from each fairy, six total).
Yes it's me

by Ninja » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:50 am

I just got what you were referencing with Fafnir's name and aesthetics. Nice. ;)
User

by RZRider » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Are you still doing this?
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by Ook ook » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Are you still working on the campaign will ther be more levels soon?
Long live the tats... Oh and pencil!
Ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook
User

by Ninja » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Probably yes; RaZoR usually has large gaps of time between updates. But that's fine, because he has work and such. :)
User

by Ook ook » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Ok thanks for letting me know ninja
Long live the tats... Oh and pencil!
Ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook
User

by Ruby_Hex » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:55 pm

This is really...really good. I'm kinda envious now! Curses! :x
However, one thing I can't help but notice is that it seems that the Snake enemies sorta' steal the show...
What I mean by this is that eleven Snake enemies exist, compared to Origins which has only four Gnoll enemies plus a miniboss and boss. Normally their is more diversity in the enemy types, but this is a small nitpick as all of the snake enemies themselves are very cool, at least in my opinion. I could understand more if they were later enemies, similar to the Twilight elves, Savages or Saurians who have a ton of varying troops, but they are only the first breed of enemy type to appear which typically limit themselves to one theme, weather it be desert (KRF), forest (KRO) or classic fantasy villains (KR). Once again, this is very minor, and well done. :mrgreen:
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by Ninja » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Ruby_Hex wrote:This is really...really good. I'm kinda envious now! Curses! :x
However, one thing I can't help but notice is that it seems that the Snake enemies sorta' steal the show...
What I mean by this is that eleven Snake enemies exist, compared to Origins which has only four Gnoll enemies plus a miniboss and boss. Normally their is more diversity in the enemy types, but this is a small nitpick as all of the snake enemies themselves are very cool, at least in my opinion. I could understand more if they were later enemies, similar to the Twilight elves, Savages or Saurians who have a ton of varying troops, but they are only the first breed of enemy type to appear which typically limit themselves to one theme, weather it be desert (KRF), forest (KRO) or classic fantasy villains (KR). Once again, this is very minor, and well done. :mrgreen:

Well, if all the enemy groups contain that many enemies, then this'll be fine. Besides, since this is an entirely new game, it can afford to make changes to the past KR formulas. ;)
User

PreviousNext