Speculation and Wishlist Thread

A new Sci-Fi adventure! Mechas included.

Re: Speculation and Wishlist Thread

by The_TaTs » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Let's see right now:

For the RTS I'm making, I wanted to have multiple units be selected by drawing a closed shape around the ones you wanted to select. To select all of one unit type, double tap the unit to select all on the screen, and triple tap to select all on the map. Deselecting units can be done by tapping a red "X" in the corner of the screen that shows unit stats, which I'm assuming will be implemented in Iron Marines because the KR format of showing unit stats already fits perfectly into an RTS. If not, we can still use the shape idea, hopefully.

I decided to move the reply here in order to avoid cluttering the "Ask the Studio" thread and also, this feature is still in development.

I spoke to Botch about this. We will implement a multiple unit selection system, but mostly because it's considered a main feature on RTS games and not so much because it will be needed on our game. Iron Marines is more of a squad tactics in real time. You won't have an abundance of soldiers, so moving them around in a careful way becomes a main priority.
We will probably implement a double tap feature to select multiple units, and they can be de-selected by doing a single tap on a single unit or tapping elsewhere on the map. It's a bit hard to explain it without showing it but I got to test it a few minutes ago and it works alright.

Another reason why multiple unit selection is not so important is because units don't open fire while they are moving... now, we know this "doesn't make sense" from a narrative point of view... but because of how the game is made, and how units work, we couldn't code firing while moving without creating a ton of other issues. In the end, we had to drop it to make sure the game worked how it was supposed to. So, in Iron Marines, it's better to move each squad separately and with caution, unless you are absolutely sure an area has been cleared and you need to move all your units to another area in the map.
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:20 am

First of all, its 100% that the devs were using godmode, as not a single point of damage is sustained by any of the player's units

The HUD

Top Left : Population Cap and Resources
Top Right : Objectives and Pause menu
Bottom Left : Hero, Hero health bar, and Hero Abilities, as well as the upgrade icon which possibly means we can level the hero up
Bottom Right : Turret thingy and Consumables

Population Cap
Pretty straightforward, this indicates how many troops you can deploy at any given time. We can clearly see that heroes and structures dont contribute to this, only troops does.
In the beginning we see that the player warps in the first squad of marines, bringing population cap to 1 out of 2
In 0:27 the player warps in an additional squad of marines, reaching the population cap.
Anything else? nope, we dont see any raise on the population cap yet, moving on.

Resources
Its clearly obvious that the harvester building is the building southwest to the 'command center'. The one on top of the green mineral field.
Harvesters in this game harvests resources automatically (unlike say Starcraft, in which you have to use worker units to do so)
We can see that each harvester gives 2 resource per second and stores 50 resources, considering this i would assume that you would lose units at a fairly decent rate, as a new marine squad costing 30 can be readily warped in 15 seconds, and that is if you only have 1 harvester.
On 0:24, we see the player discovered a new resource field, the player will then have to place and defend a probe that will scan the field first before a harvester can be warped in, which takes 25 seconds, completing in 0:49.
As soon as the second harvester is complete, the resource cap is raised from 50 to 100, and production rate is doubled.
Another interesting thing is on 3:48, the player destroys an enemy structure and receives 15 resources, its unknown if this is a secondary objective reward, an enemy harvester storing its own resources, or just the way it is.

Objectives
On 1:56 we clearly see the 'Main Mission Update - Destroy all Fellwright labs in the area'
From this i can assume Fellwright is a faction, or the alien species we are fighting alltogether.

Turret Thingy
at various points of the gameplay the turret can be seen dropped from orbit, anywhere you want it, at no cost but a cooldown. Not unlike reinforcements in KR.
However unlike KR, the turret's active duration is shorter than its relatively lengthy cooldown, if i count it right the active duration is about 12-15 seconds, while the cooldown is 30 seconds.
It seems to do decent damage, but it remains to be seen for its durability.
Oh yeah and it seems to just disappears when it expires, don't know if the devs just havent animated the deactivation or if its just how it is supposed to be.

Consumables
Now at first i thought these are offmap support costing resources to deploy, but in 1:52, the player calls in a massive orbital bombardment with the support option with the '1' on it, and it is gone. With this i can assume that this is consumables that you buy before playing a level, not unlike the gnome shop from KR.
This is further confirmed as in 2:00, the player calls in a mortar shot that has '14' on it, and after using it it becomes '13', so yeah it shows how much you got left, not how much it costs.

The third support option is never used in the footage.

Hero
Now, ill be honest, the first time i look at the potrait at the bottom left i thought its a boy inside a mech suit (which is already weird)
But upon closer investigation of the sprite, (screenshoting, opening in photoshop and zooming) it appears more like a female EXO suit operator. (even weirder)
Now based on appearance and attacks, i would think that she is a glass cannon, as she is completely exposed in her suit with no protection whatsoever, but packing massive long range firepower with her cannons/missiles, plus decent mobility.
And yeah if you have been dreaming about Lynn in Iron Marines, this might be it.

Her First ability can be seen activated on 3:00, and i would probably guess the name 'Death Blossom', for good reason, as she spins around, dealing damage around herself. unfortunately it appears not to be enough to kill whatever she is facing, but the cooldown is relatively quick, about 13 seconds.

Her Second ability can be seen at 0:42, in which she gets a massive increase in attack speed. Note that she can still move while ability is active as seen on 3:05 although its inadvisable since it means the ability duration is wasted since she cannot attack while moving. Activation duration is 7-8 seconds, while cooldown is 18 seconds.

Friendly Units
Units you control seems to be deployed out of this teleporter pad.
Right at the beginning of the footage we already see the available unit selections.
So you got a choice between 3 types of troops (which i'll call light, medium, and heavy)
Light troops costs 30, Medium costs 50, and the heavy is still locked out.
Out of the Light troops, we can choose between either snipers or rifle guys, as well as a third one but thats locked out, at no additional cost, since we can simply switch over on the field as seen later in 3:56.

Note that when switching troop types in the field, i can assume they will be completely defenseless and vulnerable for a couple of seconds.
So have some guys covering them or just do it when out of combat.
And as seen in the other forum posts, these troops will have randomized genders and race.

[+] SPOILER
BONUS
i see what you did there ironhide 8-)
Last edited by FeedDaKingdom on Wed May 11, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every soul is sacred, no one has to die
I just change the pace of inevitability
User

by AerisDraco » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Stream stuff:
-Engineer, a slow, anti-structures unit
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Sinque Productions » Sat May 07, 2016 3:24 am

The only thing I really want is a Vez'nan is alive easter egg or small appearance from him.
The above message has been sent by The Killian Experience version of Addy.
User

by The Kingmaker » Sat May 07, 2016 7:14 am

I would say that the woman in an EXO suit isn't weird, it's an Aleins reference
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Pencil » Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:I would say that the woman in an EXO suit isn't weird, it's an Aleins reference

Ding Ding Ding
Ironhide Developer

by The Kingmaker » Wed May 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Game over man! Game over!
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Sun May 22, 2016 2:32 pm

*FURTHER ANALYSIS*
it seems that expansions in this game are centered around the resource collector, instead of having to build another command center.
As soon as you reach another etherium deposit you deploy a probe that must be defended (assumption) for 25 seconds (i counted that) before the collector and another teleporter pad for building tropps are teleported in.
[+] SPOILER

Defense buildings seems to be fixed on each expansion, notice the top expansion only has space for 2 turrets, while the main base has 3.

Notice that the cost to make the basic mortar turret gets more expensive as you build more, the first 50, then 75, then 100. This means that if you do not have an expansion, you can only build max 2 turrets (including 1 that is already pre-built, because only 50 etherium maximum), and if you have an expansion, 4 turrets (100 etherium cap maximum) and so on.
Also the basic mortar turret doesnt get shielded from the shield upgrade.

[+] SPOILER

The upgrade to either missile or minigun and a third locked option costs 70 but as soon as you can upgrade 1 you can freely transform it to another.

[+] SPOILER
Also notice the big fail on the mortar turret on the top expansion overlapping the roadblocks and the melee guys trying to hit it got derped because they just spin around not attacking anything either due to bad AI or glitchy position of the mortar turret.

The command center it self seems to be used to "tech up" in the game.
[+] SPOILER

Spoilers are pictures and a big *fail*
Last edited by FeedDaKingdom on Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Sun May 22, 2016 2:41 pm

*ENEMY TYPES*
[+] SPOILER

Basic ranged attacker (to the left bunching up)

[+] SPOILER

Basic melee attacker (on the top attacking the gatling turret)

These 2 seems to form a similar combo to zealot and stalkers from starcraft

[+] SPOILER

Siege enemy on middle (longer range than most defensive turrets), and AoE attacker on the right (dashes and pulses for AoE damage, can only dash to troops not turrets)

[+] SPOILER

Alien defense turret near the bottom right

[+] SPOILER

Some sort of parasite-esque type of enemy near the top of the gatling turret from my assumption, and it seems to ignore the machine gun turret and goes straight for your troops.

Hope the recon data is to your satisfaction
User

by The Propellord » Sun May 22, 2016 4:30 pm

FeedDaKingdom wrote:*ENEMY TYPES*
[+] SPOILER

Basic ranged attacker (to the left bunching up)

[+] SPOILER

Basic melee attacker (on the top attacking the gatling turret)

These 2 seems to form a similar combo to zealot and stalkers from starcraft

[+] SPOILER

Siege enemy on middle (longer range than most defensive turrets), and AoE attacker on the right (dashes and pulses for AoE damage, can only dash to troops not turrets)

[+] SPOILER

Alien defense turret near the bottom right

[+] SPOILER

Some sort of parasite-esque type of enemy near the top of the gatling turret from my assumption, and it seems to ignore the machine gun turret and goes straight for your troops.

Hope the recon data is to your satisfaction

You could add the four-armed alien from the gif too (from earlier this year).
*Insert evil laugh here; followed by violent coughing; and then more laughing*
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Mon May 23, 2016 6:49 am

Yeah, i would imagine it would be something like an ultralisk.

We got more recon data coming through

[+] SPOILER

Objective is defend the refinery from Fellwright attacks
because you don't have your hero or the orbital turret calldown, we can assume this is the first mission
you also only get max 35 etherium while on the GDC footage you get 50 max per refinery, so maybe its an upgrade, or each etherium deposit yields different amounts

[+] SPOILER

Objective now is to move the squads to Cpt Tanguins' position
According to our informant Lekku, this is what he was doing in the first mission also
your squad limit is increased to 2, and you have 1 orbital strike, 15 mortars shots and 2 etherium packs

[+] SPOILER

The map
Now because KR show the overall map of the entire continent in the form of an actual paper map, i would assume Iron Marines would have a sort of holographic map or maybe something like this :
[+] SPOILER

but we get a miniature overview (sort of) of the planet we are fighting on, which is alright i guess

from left to right (speculation)
hero - upgrades - shop - encyclopedia ? thats a weird icon for that - achievements
top right you see 2 different currencies that look the same, i guess thats going to get changed

[+] SPOILER

can anyone see the game on the ipad on the bottom left more clearly than me?
i can't read it but to me seems to read first contact
possible mission brief screen?

User

by Eclipsor04 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:06 am

FeedDaKingdom wrote:Image

Where did you get that! Newsletter? Ive been subed why not me?

(Jk)

:sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
ROCKET RIDER LOVES YOU
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Well, so much for "YOUR EYES ONLY" in the newsletter. :roll:

Also, I'll fix your quadruple post. :)
BBB

by AerisDraco » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:36 pm

The new hero: Face!
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by FeedDaKingdom » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:20 am

Again, more growling
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:20 pm

You know, i only write this because i have a soft spot for snipers
but snipers on this game seem pretty terrible at their job (from GDC footage)
Not only they cant even 1 hit kill the standard enemies, but their rate of fire is a whoppingly slow 1 shot every 4 seconds. or 1 shot every 1,33 seconds for all 3 members of the squad
Also who uses bolt action rifles x thousand years in the future?
User

by The_TaTs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:51 pm

FeedDaKingdom wrote:You know, i only write this because i have a soft spot for snipers
but snipers on this game seem pretty terrible at their job (from GDC footage)
Not only they cant even 1 hit kill the standard enemies, but their rate of fire is a whoppingly slow 1 shot every 4 seconds. or 1 shot every 1,33 seconds for all 3 members of the squad
Also who uses bolt action rifles x thousand years in the future?

Snipers are intended to do a bit more DPS than the Marines and have more attack range, but soak less damage. They should work like archers units in a regular rts. One shot kills would make them OP for this game.
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:28 am

Yeah after realizing that snipers are considered 'standard' infantry instead of an elite unit i think that makes a bit more sense
still, bolt action rifles ?? Are they armor piercing?
User

by Lekku » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:24 pm

FeedDaKingdom wrote:[+] SPOILER

The map
Now because KR show the overall map of the entire continent in the form of an actual paper map, i would assume Iron Marines would have a sort of holographic map or maybe something like this :

[+] SPOILER

but we get a miniature overview (sort of) of the planet we are fighting on, which is alright i guess

from left to right (speculation)
hero - upgrades - shop - encyclopedia ? thats a weird icon for that - achievements
top right you see 2 different currencies that look the same, i guess thats going to get changed

Nice breakdown of the video. For the menu you are correct on all but the encyclopedia, that one was mini games. None were available in the PAX build but I was told that there would be mini games to play in there. I got the impression you could earn currency to buy the upgrades that you use in the missions like the cluster or single bomb drops.
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:15 pm

I'd imagine the minigames will basically like single missions but you can only control a certain unit (or hero) through an obstacle course type landscape, for example infiltrating a base without getting into detection range, or controlling a very limited amount of units to complete an objective.
User

PreviousNext