About discussions in the forum.

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

About discussions in the forum.

by The_TaTs » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi there,

Lately there's been a bit too much tension to my liking in this place. People getting annoyed, people feeling that they can't have a conversation, or even disagree without things taking a bad turn. Some of that is my fault, since I sometimes stop these arguments because they become widely off-topic or derail the conversation. I'm super sorry if this causes frustration.

This is a Forum made by us, Ironhide, so that fans of our games could have a place to hang out, exchange tips, strategies and fool around. This changed a bit of course, since a Forum is made by its members and I genuinely feel that the forum now belongs to all of us.

However, the general idea hasn't really changed... this is a place to have fun. I'm not so naive as to pretend that we can all get along all the time, but I do believe that avoiding pointless conflict is a healthy approach to any environment.

The only way to interact in a Forum is by exchanging points of view. Therefore, debates and disagreements are completely normal.
I love friendly banter and debates. Trying to logically disarm someone else point is fun and a great exercise.

But debating is not the same as arguing. And even debates have a set duration and some ground rules to prevent it from becoming an endless exchange of retorts.

So... what can we do to make this a better place?

I think that there are a couple of things that I can do myself.

1- I will select 3 moderators in the next 10 days. The selection will not be open to discussion and those that wanted to be mods but were not selected will have to trust my judgement on the matter. (Sorry if that comes across a bit harsh).

2- I will reorganise the Forum in the next 15 days. Nothing drastic, though. I will also post the new layout before making the modifications, so that you guys can give feedback and we will implement any suggestion that makes sense.

3- I will cease to forcibly stop arguments.... instead, I will now first offer to split conversations so that these arguments can continue on a new thread (sometimes on a new subform). If the people involved in the debate are really interested in keep it going, then great, and if not then the debate is over and conversation can go back to topic.

And there's a couple of things that all of you can do:

1- Take the higher road.
There are no real winners on an altercation. Sometimes it's just better to walk away from a discussion than to be right... no one is going to pat you in the back for being tenacious over an argument about pixels killing each other. There's no score to keep and no final price... so... why argue endlessly?

2- Learn to read the mood.
The previous point can be hard to act upon... when is it right to keep debating and when it's a lost cause? I don't think that there's an obvious answer. But by simply asking yourself the question and thinking about it for a couple of minutes, you'll be on the right track for sure.

3- Don't take things so seriously.
Which leads me to this point. While we can certainly discuss politics, world hunger, climate change and racism... we usually don't talk about these things, instead we talk about lighter stuff. If the subjects we post about are not necessarily serious, why get all riled up about them? Say your piece, and then let go.


The forum is made by all of us. So I think that all it takes is a bit of collaboration to make it a good place to hang out.

Finally, if you want to reply on this post... please, please, please keep it positive and avoid accusing others of things that you didn't like.
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by The Kingmaker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:08 pm

Good points well made, I do hope we can improve the tenseness in the forums of late
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."
Image

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: A stage (but all the world's a stage)

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Ninja » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:44 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
1- I will select 3 moderators in the next 10 days. The selection will not be open to discussion and those that wanted to be mods but were not selected will have to trust my judgement on the matter. (Sorry if that comes across a bit harsh).


Yes, finally. The Forums need this. :yey:

The_TaTs wrote:1- Take the higher road.
There are no real winners on an altercation. Sometimes it's just better to walk away from a discussion than to be right... no one is going to pat you in the back for being tenacious over an argument about pixels killing each other. There's no score to keep and no final price... so... why argue endlessly?


The reason for at least me in this matter is so that I can better understand the other's opinion. And, if something they said is something that I disagree with, then I like to debate in order to come to a agreement with them. (i.e.: Them coming to agree with my view, or me coming to agree with theirs.) I don't care about who wins in an argument so long as the argument has a satisfactory conclusion. :)

I only become frustrated about an argument when I can't see any conclusion in the near future. Once I get to that point, I usually become a bit fierce. Sorry for that.
Last edited by Ninja on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Anorak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Ninja, I think what u need to worried about is not taking things so seriously.

i think those are all good ideas tats. Can't wait to see who becomes mods!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:16 pm
Location: OASIS

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Ninja » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Anorak wrote:Ninja, I think what you need to worry about is not taking things so seriously.

I think those are all good ideas, TaTs. I can't wait to see who become mods!


My view on that is that serious things should get serious treatment, and that lighthearted things deserve a less solemn approach. :)
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Manijure » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:07 pm

I have seen the trivial bickering in past threads, and I am glad TaTs is addressing this. It's just a forum, so we should all chill and enjoy our company. :)

I do hope you consider me to be a moderator. Although it doesn't seem so, I check the forums every day, and I can tell if things are getting out of hand.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by RZRider » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Ninja wrote:
Anorak wrote:Ninja, I think what you need to worry about is not taking things so seriously.

I think those are all good ideas, TaTs. I can't wait to see who become mods!


My view on that is that serious things should get serious treatment, and that lighthearted things deserve a less solemn approach. :)


But Ninja most of the things people argue about are trivial.They aren't serious, as I assume tats was trying to say, so they don't need serious treatment.I don't want another argument, but those are my views.Also, I am very excited about the mods too, it has needed to be done.
Last edited by RZRider on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 am
Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by The Kingmaker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Stahp.

Stahp now and move on.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."
Image

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: A stage (but all the world's a stage)

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Ninja » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:16 pm

RZRider wrote:But Ninja, most of the things you argue about are trivial. They aren't serious, as I assume TaTs was trying to say, so they don't need serious treatment. I don't want another argument, but those are my views. Also, I am very excited about the mods too, it has been a constant need in the Forums.


The_TaTs wrote:Finally, if you want to reply on this post... please, please, please keep it positive and avoid accusing others of things that you didn't like.


^All I'm gonna' say in my defense.
Last edited by Ninja on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by RZRider » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Sorry I meant to put people. It has been edited. Sorry if I offended you.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 am
Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Simmonds91 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:19 pm

This will be interesting... What you've said has me thinking on my past actions too tats... Have i ever been part of the problem you are taking action against i ask myself... well, this new change in the forum will hopefully begin a nice clean slate so no worries i suppose :)

kingmaker, i wonder if i should be kissing up to you right now just incase... Ahem... ;) :lol:

Also, despite this not being that kind of thread or has anything to do with whats being discussed, i still vote BBB for mod :yey:
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:46 pm
Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by RZRider » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I vote for BBB as well. I would vote for myself but I don't think I would be the right person for the job.

Crap, just heard that is not how it works.
Last edited by RZRider on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 am
Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Ninja » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:29 pm

Um, that's not how it works. TaTs said that the moderator selection would not be open to discussion.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Simmonds91 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:30 pm

(Disclaimer): there is no real voting thing, i was just joking ;) but seriously though, #bbb4modbruh
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:46 pm
Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Ninja » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Simmonds91 wrote:(Disclaimer): there is no real voting thing, i was just joking ;) but seriously though, #bbb4modbruh


Those 2 statements are contradictory. :?
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by AerisDraco » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:36 pm

The_TaTs wrote:1- I will select 3 moderators in the next 10 days. The selection will not be open to discussion and those that wanted to be mods but were not selected will have to trust my judgment on the matter. (Sorry if that comes across a bit harsh).


OOH! OOH! PICK ME! PICK ME!

Just joking... :)

I do have a few questions about moderator-ship, though:
[+] SPOILER
1. So, what powers do admins have that mods don't?
2. The only other non-IH team mods are labeled as mods of the Fan Fic subforum. Why is that? Do their powers only apply there?


The_TaTs wrote:2- I will reorganise the Forum in the next 15 days. Nothing drastic, though. I will also post the new layout before making the modifications, so that you guys can give feedback and we will implement any suggestion that makes sense.


I assume the Beta Tester forum will be added with this? That's one thing that's been repeatedly asked for.
Also, where will you post it?

The_TaTs wrote:3- I will cease to forcibly stop arguments.... instead, I will now first offer to split conversations so that these arguments can continue on a new thread (sometimes on a new subform). If the people involved in the debate are really interested in keep it going, then great, and if not then the debate is over and conversation can go back to topic.


*thumbs up*

BTW, I hope you had a nice vacation. What was the holiday?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Northern Cuba (Miami)

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 pm

It's a pity it's had to come to this. I've avoided posting in Off-topic for a while now, just because most threads have ended up in back and forth chit-chat/bickering.

AerisDraco wrote:I do have a few questions about moderator-ship, though:
[+] SPOILER
1. So, what powers do admins have that mods don't?
2. The only other non-IH team mods are labeled as mods of the Fan Fic subforum. Why is that? Do their powers only apply there?




Moderators are able to close, re-open and move threads, ban users, edit other user's posts, edit thread titles (if that option is not available to regular members), but only within the confines of the forums they are appointed to. Admins have all the powers of a moderator, but can unban members, ban IP addresses, promote and demote moderators, edit the layout and appearance of the forum as a whole, and can do it in all forums and sub-forums. They don't need to be appointed to a particular forum, but they can be if they wish. This varies from forum to forum, but that's the gist of it.

That should answer both of your questions for you.
https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/RazorRush.gif
Kingdom Rush: ChroniclesMy HeroesKingdom Rush Wiki
KR: ContestsIM: Contests
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2723
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by AerisDraco » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:07 pm

Thank you.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Northern Cuba (Miami)

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by xstargaming » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm glad this was posted. I agree that the forums as of the past few months have been somewhat tense; arguments seem to spawn from nearly every topic -- and such tensions, I fear, have affected my words, despite my intentions against such. I'm looking forward to see who gets chosen for the moderators, and, though I hope I am among the three, I'm certain your decisions will be made in the best interests of the forums. :)

We're all part of this community; each is due a similar respect and an equal amount of pizza. :D
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: Virginia, United States

Re: About discussions in the forum.

by Zonoro13 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Nice, this is necessary for sure. I haven't been on too much lately, partly because of this problem.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 5167
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 pm
Location: memes

Next

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
cron