Forum changes and new mods

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Forum changes and new mods

by The_TaTs » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi dudettes and dudes.

READ EVERYTHING FIRST... so you don't find yourself asking something that it's clearly explained here.

We will implement a few changes in the forum. Mainly, we are going to rearrange the sections a little bit (nothing drastic) and we will also select 3 moderators.

We are NOT GOING TO DELETE any thread, but we might move some to a different section. We will provide a week notice in said thread, so everyone involved in a conversation will have ample time to know when are where we will move the thread to.

Additionally, we will add a Fan Fiction and a Suggestions subform for each new game... KR games already have those, but Iron Marines and the other project will have their own eventually (probably once the game is released or people asks for it, whichever comes first).

The General Discussions subforum in Ironhide General will be used for posts like this one, things related to Ironhide as a studio, and anything that might be relevant to the community but doesn't fit in Off-Topic or one of the game's subforums.

None of this changes are implemented yet... so we will gladly accept suggestions.

Here's the new layout, from top to bottom:


Ironhide General-
(Subforums):
General Discussions (Introduce yourself, Forum Rules, Ask the Studio, Birthdays)
Games
Off-Topic
Locked Topics (all locked threads will be moved here so everyone can quickly learn what makes a topic to be locked)

Ironhide Games-
(Subforums)
Kingdom Rush (Fan Fiction, Suggestions, General Discussion)
Iron Marines (Fan Fiction, Suggestions, General Discussion)
Project Mystery X - (The game we might release by the end of the year or in early 2017)
Clash of Olympians
Soccer Challenge

Hidden Boards
Admins & Mods
Beta testers
(Subforums):
Beta testers for KR games
Beta testers for Iron Marines
Beta testers for Project Mystery X

About the Mods...
I've already asked the three members that were selected, once I get the reply from all of them, I'll make the proper announcement.
Moderators will have a few tasks, mostly based on their own preferences and the needs of the Forums. If the Forum grows due to the release of new games, then more Mods might be selected in the future.

Being a Mod is not about having more privileges, or being a favourite... so please, please, please, don't feel snubbed if you weren't chosen. Trust in our judgement on this.

The new Moderators for the forum are:
Big Bad Bug
RaZor LeAf
AerisDraco


That's all.
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Chimto » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:09 pm

So I'm presuming there won't be a hidden board for beta testers?
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:58 am
Location: Lair; Carnival; Well; Not; Nadir; Chapel; Mountain

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Additionally, we will add a Fan Fiction and a Suggestions subform for each new game... KR games already have those, but Iron Marines and the other project will have their own eventually (probably once the game is released or people asks for it, whichever comes first).


Do you think it would be a good idea to be make a Fanfiction and Suggestions subforum for each KR game by the time KR4 is released? It would be a lot of work, but also make the Fanfiction thread a lot less cluttered, as it's one of the messier collections of threads on the forum, currently. We could also have a general Suggestions subforum for all KR games.
BBB
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 7814
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Your worst nightmares

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Ninja » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Why are CotO and Soccer Challenge off by themselves there? Will they get their own subforum for some reason? :?
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by The_TaTs » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Chimto wrote:So I'm presuming there won't be a hidden board for beta testers?


You would presume wrong, my dear friend.

There will be a hidden board for beta testers and another for Mods and Admin.

I'll add it to the original post.

Big Bad Bug wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:Additionally, we will add a Fan Fiction and a Suggestions subform for each new game... KR games already have those, but Iron Marines and the other project will have their own eventually (probably once the game is released or people asks for it, whichever comes first).


Do you think it would be a good idea to be make a Fanfiction and Suggestions subforum for each KR game by the time KR4 is released? It would be a lot of work, but also make the Fanfiction thread a lot less cluttered, as it's one of the messier collections of threads on the forum, currently. We could also have a general Suggestions subforum for all KR games.


I guess we could. It shouldn't be that hard.

Ninja wrote:Why are CotO and Soccer Challenge off by themselves there? Will they get their own subforum for some reason? :?


Just an error in spacing. I'll fix it now.
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Ninja » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Why does it say Project Mystery X Alpha Laser in the Hidden Boards section instead of just Project Mystery X like above? Is there a difference between the two?

Also, why are the Locked Topics getting their own section? Seems a bit strange to me.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by The_TaTs » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Ninja wrote:Why does it say Project Mystery X Alpha Laser in the Hidden Boards section instead of just Project Mystery X like above? Is there a difference between the two?

Also, why are the Locked Topics getting their own section? Seems a bit strange to me.



The Project X thing is just a joke.

The Locked Topics will get their own section so people can easily learn what gets a Topic to be locked.

Also... the Moderators are now announced. Check it out.
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Ninja » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Also... the Moderators are now announced. Check it out.


I already knew that you would choose the first two. :lol:

Which mod will be in charge of which forum? (If that has been decided, that is.)
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by xstargaming » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:25 pm

They will make marvelous moderators, and these changes will certainly benefit the forum's organization. I'm looking forward to what is incoming! :D
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: Virginia, United States

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Juice Box » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:21 am

The_TaTs wrote:The new Moderators for the forum are:
Big Bad Bug
RaZor LeAf
AerisDraco


That's all.


Mm yeah, okay you're all evil and I am leaving.

But before I leave, TaTs, what if important information is present in a specific locked thread?

Like, let's say someone asked an important question in a specific topic. Once the question gets answered, the topic gets locked, right? But wouldn't it be better to keep it where it is so that people who have the same question can come across it?
Image
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 am
Location: A magical place where you never get harmed. A magical place, with magical charms.

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Ninja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:23 am

Juice Box wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:The new Moderators for the forum are:
Big Bad Bug
RaZor LeAf
AerisDraco


That's all.


Mm yeah, okay you're all evil and I am leaving.

But before I leave, TaTs, what if important information is present in a specific locked thread?

Like, let's say someone asked an important question in a specific topic. Once the question gets answered, the topic gets locked, right? But wouldn't it be better to keep it where it is so that people who have the same question can come across it?


Well, that's one of the reasons for the subforum for locked threads that is coming with the forum reorganization, I think.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Juice Box » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:28 am

Ninja wrote:
Juice Box wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:The new Moderators for the forum are:
Big Bad Bug
RaZor LeAf
AerisDraco


That's all.


Mm yeah, okay you're all evil and I am leaving.

But before I leave, TaTs, what if important information is present in a specific locked thread?

Like, let's say someone asked an important question in a specific topic. Once the question gets answered, the topic gets locked, right? But wouldn't it be better to keep it where it is so that people who have the same question can come across it?


Well, that's one of the reasons for the subforum for locked threads that is coming with the forum reorganization, I think.


But then each subforum would require a subforum of its own, for its own locked threads.
Image
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 am
Location: A magical place where you never get harmed. A magical place, with magical charms.

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Ninja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:31 am

Juice Box wrote:But then each subforum would require a subforum of its own, for its own locked threads.


Or there could just be an entire forum for all the locked threads. I think that that would be a pretty good implementation.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Juice Box » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:39 am

Ninja wrote:
Juice Box wrote:But then each subforum would require a subforum of its own, for its own locked threads.


Or there could just be an entire forum for all the locked threads. I think that that would be a pretty good implementation.


No, you nublet, let me explain: locked threads sometimes ask valid questions, right? So you're planning to put them all in one big subforum. That's neat. But since the locked thread gets moved away from the thread it was originally in, people won't notice it anymore. The effect is that newcomers asking questions that have been answered already will become a pattern, because they would have no idea the question they asked was answered already. So you might stack up locked threads that talk about the same thing.
Image
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 am
Location: A magical place where you never get harmed. A magical place, with magical charms.

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Ninja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:43 am

Juice Box wrote:
Ninja wrote:
Juice Box wrote:But then each subforum would require a subforum of its own, for its own locked threads.


Or there could just be an entire forum for all the locked threads. I think that that would be a pretty good implementation.


No, you nublet, let me explain: locked threads sometimes ask valid questions, right? So you're planning to put them all in one big subforum. That's neat. But since the locked thread gets moved away from the thread it was originally in, people won't notice it anymore. The effect is that newcomers asking questions that have been answered already will become a pattern, because they would have no idea the question they asked was answered already. So you might stack up locked threads that talk about the same thing.


People will notice it if they aren't dolts. The point of the whole thing would be to answer questions and give reasons for why a thread gets locked anyways, so it would only be common sense to look there before posing an important question to see if it has already been answered.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Juice Box » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:50 am

Ninja wrote:
Juice Box wrote:
Ninja wrote:Or there could just be an entire forum for all the locked threads. I think that that would be a pretty good implementation.


No, you nublet, let me explain: locked threads sometimes ask valid questions, right? So you're planning to put them all in one big subforum. That's neat. But since the locked thread gets moved away from the thread it was originally in, people won't notice it anymore. The effect is that newcomers asking questions that have been answered already will become a pattern, because they would have no idea the question they asked was answered already. So you might stack up locked threads that talk about the same thing.


People will notice it if they aren't dolts. The point of the whole thing would be to answer questions and give reasons for why a thread gets locked anyways, so it would only be common sense to look there before posing an important question to see if it has already been answered.


But that's incredibly inefficient on the side of the user. They'll have to dig through locked threads that are not at all connected to a single, unified topic. For example, if they wanted to ask something about KR:O in specific, they'll have to dig through all the other unrelated stuff about KR, KR:F and Iron Marines.

And especially more so if the question is something trivial like, "Heroes Not Working After Bought." I mean, what if the dude wants to know why his Iron Marines heroes aren't working? Then he'll have to find a thread specific to only Iron Marines when all of Ironhide's games have heroes in it.

You getting me now, you nublet?
Image
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 am
Location: A magical place where you never get harmed. A magical place, with magical charms.

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Ninja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:53 am

Juice Box wrote:But that's incredibly inefficient on the side of the user. They'll have to dig through locked threads that are not at all connected to a single, unified topic. For example, if they wanted to ask something about KR:O in specific, they'll have to dig through all the other unrelated stuff about KR, KR:F and Iron Marines.

And especially more so if the question is something trivial like, "Heroes Not Working After Bought." I mean, what if the dude wants to know why his Iron Marines heroes aren't working? Then he'll have to find a thread specific to only Iron Marines when all of Ironhide's games have heroes in it.

You getting me now, you nublet?


Simple solution to that too. Make a forum for locked threads and then have a subforum for each game's locked threads contained within it.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." ~ Richard Chenevix Trench

"You don't have good grammar when you type with your fists." ~ C. F. Payne
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Location: Sagan-1

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Juice Box » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:04 am

Ninja wrote:
Juice Box wrote:But that's incredibly inefficient on the side of the user. They'll have to dig through locked threads that are not at all connected to a single, unified topic. For example, if they wanted to ask something about KR:O in specific, they'll have to dig through all the other unrelated stuff about KR, KR:F and Iron Marines.

And especially more so if the question is something trivial like, "Heroes Not Working After Bought." I mean, what if the dude wants to know why his Iron Marines heroes aren't working? Then he'll have to find a thread specific to only Iron Marines when all of Ironhide's games have heroes in it.

You getting me now, you nublet?


Simple solution to that too. Make a forum for locked threads and then have a subforum for each game's locked threads contained within it.


So you admit that you're wrong and the problem I am posing is indeed a problem. Ayyyyt.

Anyways, regarding the solution: it's possible. But then it would be tedious on Ironhide's side, since each locked thread will have to have a duplicate.

Isn't there a simpler way? What I was thinking was if maybe Ironhide made it possible for users to search through locked threads.

Like, for example, if I wanted to know why my IM heroes aren't working, then maybe Ironhide can make it so that when I click this one button, all threads that didn't come from the Iron Marines forum will be removed from the screen, so I can look freely.

Or maybe the search bar in each forum. Maybe Ironhide can find a way so that when I click this one thing, the engine will only search for locked topics that came from Iron Marines discussions. The normal shrimp.
Image
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 am
Location: A magical place where you never get harmed. A magical place, with magical charms.

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:51 am

This reminds me of another (minor) problem here: Th search bar. Almost every word is too common and ends up not being searched, so looking for key threads becomes impossible. I would prefer to have no word limit at all so that it can always be possible to find older threads.
BBB
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 7814
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Your worst nightmares

Re: Forum changes and new mods

by Chimto » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:49 am

Or instead of a generic 'locked topics' board we could have an 'Oubliette' specifically for spam/devolved/off-topic threads, with valid locked threads being kept at their original board.
The_TaTs wrote:The new Moderators for the forum are:
Big Bad Bug
RaZor LeAf
AerisDraco

Looks like I wasn't active enough in recent days.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:58 am
Location: Lair; Carnival; Well; Not; Nadir; Chapel; Mountain

Next

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests