Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by phillipriv9 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:38 pm

Can you look at my idea for the next KR game on the suggestions thread, as I feel a lot of people would like the idea?
Do you ever ask the community about what to reference in the KR games(like other movies and stuff)?
1 there I put something here
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Juice Box wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:Least favourite movies: Submerged (a Steven Seagal movie that happens in Uruguay.... yes! Really!), "El Noctambulo" (the one and only superhero movie made in Uruguay... it's so bad I have no words for it...) and any and all chick flicks.

Mm, yeah, okay, I hate Ironhide now.

But we still think you are so cool, Volcano Girl. (Also, we are all dudes here, What do you want from us?... As a caveat, I'll concede that Bridemaids and Pitch Perfect are good chick flicks).

Finwer wrote:Are we going to hear more about King Banesti and the Kingdom of Niroma in future installments?

A long shot but not entirely impossible

Manijure wrote:
Finwer wrote:Are we going to hear more about King Banesti and the Kingdom of Niroma in future installments?

I am a bit curious about that; the Curse of Castle Blackburn is a very fun and interesting mini-campaign, and I'd love to see Banesti's connection to Lord Blackburn or how Blackburn got corrupted by evil.

Haha. So do we!

(BTW...Banesti is an anagram for Ironhide's programmer Esteban... Esti in the forums)

AerisDraco wrote:Will the Orange dwarf/button that grants dev status ever be found?

I think it got married with the Green button that grants mod status and they both eloped to Acapulco.

brandonjack wrote:Is the update coming out on the 19th the one that was scheduled for September? Or are they two separate updates?

Which hero was the most difficult to design/draw/program in Origins? Which has the longest line of code?

The update that comes out tomorrow, Aug 19th, is the one that was supposed to be released in September. We were anticipating a delay so we said "September" just to be sure, but luckily were able to stay on schedule.

- Lilith was one of the toughest because it's a Hero that wasn't created by following our standard process for Hero design. It's impossible to know which one has the longest line of code.

phillipriv9 wrote:Can u delete the Chinese bot spam posts.

No need to post that question here, since I delete spam posts in less than 24hrs. But if I ever take too long, just send me a PM and we'll take care of it.

phillipriv9 wrote:Question
Do any of u ever look In the fan fiction area to get Hero ideas?

No. We enter the Fan Fiction area to see what you guys are up to and mostly out of fascination for the amount of time, creativity and enthusiasm you devote to the rather vague universe we created. It's beyond flattering and humbling.
We always try to come up with our own ideas, both out of pride and, up to a certain point, for legal reasons. :P

Lord of all evil wrote:Tats, is it possible to add a hero skins update to KR or KRF and KRO

It is *possible*.... but it won't happen.
It would require some serious tweaking to some core functionalities of the game visuals, and we would have to re-haul the game menu structure to take the skins selection into account.... that's some serious work.

flamemaster368 wrote:Do you people, as in Ironhide, plan to make a mini-campaign for Dragon Throne or are you just going to leave it there on the map? Because I see a lot of people hoping/expecting a mini-campaign, but can't find any actual confirmation from the devs.

The reason why you can't find any actual confirmation is because we never give information about the areas for upcoming new levels. We are very much aware of the amount of excitement regarding Dragon Throne.
We will stop with the updates for KRO after the one that will be released tomorrow. So you guys will have to wait quite a bit for a Dragon Throne expansion... some of us in the studio agree that we should make it happen... but there are other cool things we are working on.

The Kingmaker wrote:Slightly connected to the previous question, when conceptualising a new (let's say KR for now) game, do you envision all future updates then and there or leave yourselves some wriggle room? When creating a map for this new world, do you add things to tease for what is already determined to come in future or just for depth and to create hype about future, but not yet started, updates?

For instance when making the Saurians did you think of Xyzzy and the Deathcoils at the same time as the rest (not fully, but concepts) and a level such as Darklight Depths, or did you make what was needed for the base game and after you decided to make a Saurian Update you made them. A possible third thig was you made concepts that you discarded and then reused them for updates.

For all three Kingdom Rush, we created maps with tons of interesting places (adding notes and comments as to what those places are all about)... the map keeps changing during development, sometimes we add new places because we had a great idea for a level in the main campaign. Once the game is released with the basic content, we start working on the expansions and use the places we left unused in the map... sometimes we use stuff we discarded for the main campaign, just like you said, and sometimes we come up with new stuff.

kingdom_rush wrote:Have any of you guys at the studio played N64 games like Ocarina of Time/DK 64/Banjo-Kazooie ?

A few of us have.

razieltnt wrote:How many dwarves will be in future installments of Your games?

Just a little?
Some?
A lot?
By me beard, dis many dwarven lads ?

Between "Some" and "A lot".

Im a huge fan of a game and i make allot of my made ideas but i have a question. What is the most powerfull race that exist in kingdom rush?

It's probably a tight contest between Demons and Dragons.

Lord of all evil wrote:I expected Ironhide to be done with Kingdom Rush, but...
[+] SPOILER
one final epic level with all the enemies fighting together or at least one more endless mode would be nice.
However, is there any hope for more Frontiers levels, I feel kingdom rush frontiers is quite unfinished.
And I hope there are at least more levels with more content for origins, if updating frontiers is impossible.
If Frontiers is completely finished, make larger campaigns like Shadowmoon and Rising Tides for Origins as well.
If that cannot be accomplished or if the studio does not want to do that, then I hope there will be more of the Kingdom Rush series and newer, and more interesting applications to the universe.
If you guys plan to stop at KR4, then please make an RPG or a minecraft style version of kingdom rush which can be modded by fans with the knowledge to code, so there is a much larger gameplay possibility.

You guys are doing a great job, I am waiting for your first franchise to become one of the most successful games around.

I'm sorry to be crude but... was there a question somewhere in your post or you are just listing some of the stuff you wish to happen?

FrankieGlen98 wrote:Not sure if this was asked but will we ever get to see or use the Queen of Aredhel in Kingdom Rush Origins? Also will there be anymore Kingdom Rush: Comic episodes?

It's on the "To do" list, along side Dragon Throne.
(I've personally pushed to make the Queen a Hero many times... but alas, some times things get complicated).
- We are seriously considering what to do with the comics. But cannot confirm anything yet.

phillipriv9 wrote:Can you look at my idea for the next KR game on the suggestions thread, as I feel a lot of people would like the idea?
Do you ever ask the community about what to reference in the KR games(like other movies and stuff)?

Ok. We looked. Seems fun. I don't think we'll be able to do it though. :)
User

by phillipriv9 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Tats my other question is very important plz ansewer my question
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:18 pm

phillipriv9 wrote:Tats my other question is very important plz ansewer my question

Done.
User

by phillipriv9 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:18 pm

And the response???
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:19 pm

phillipriv9 wrote:And the response???

Check with the other replies. And cool it down.
User

by phillipriv9 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:20 pm

Yes sir
User

by Manijure » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:21 pm

The_TaTs wrote:The reason why you can't find any actual confirmation is because we never give information about the areas for upcoming new levels. We are very much aware of the amount of excitement regarding Dragon Throne.
We will stop with the updates for KRO after the one that will be released tomorrow. So you guys will have to wait quite a bit for a Dragon Throne expansion... some of us in the studio agree that we should make it happen... but there are other cool things we are working on

Awwww you ruined the hype and my support for Ironhide... :|

Jk, I don't mean that. I know that you guys have a lot planned for the future, especially the Alpha of your next game. I will gladly wait for when something new comes! :)

So two small questions, when do you guys expect to share us news about your new game, like with a trailer or just a post or something? As much as the excitement for Dragon Throne is so real, we are all looking forward to your new game and ideas. And second, you said before that some of Ironhide's ideas from the KR series came from League of Legends. Do any you guys play (or played) League? I'm like the only non-admin guy here who does. :P

Tristana is the best. Don't underestimate the power of yordles. :D
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by Finwer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:26 pm

The queen is going to be a hero? That's....quite a surprise. *wink wink*
Also the story presented in Kingdom Rush: The comic is considered cannon to the series? If yes, we will see more of Denas' daughter or maybe his wife?
What about those interviews with the devs we talked long time ago? Are they still coming?
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Vanzen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:A more personal question: I live in California right now, but could move somewhere else within the country of the USA. What colleges would you recommend for becoming a game developer? I prefer being an idea guy; in charge of things during development.

A less personal question: How long would the original 3-man team behind KR reckon that it took them to learn how to code?

Hi BBB! I'll start from the bottom.

Learning to code is not very hard but learning to be an awesome coder can take years of experience and a lot of projects under your belt.
The original KR 3-man team was made up of Gonzalo (artist), Pablo (coder) and myself (graphic designer / jack of all trades). We all had years of experience working on projects, mostly software and websites but no experience making games. I can say the discipline of working on different teams and projects really helped in getting into games and learned all we had to as we went through the project. It may sound cliche, but doing stuff is the best teacher!

That said, It is hard for me to recommend a college in the US since i never lived there. Given your words i think you could seek a career as a game designer / producer, but i need to tell you that there are no "idea guys" on most teams. Regularly ideas come as a product of several minds working together. Game designers then take those ideas and integrate them into the game rules and features that make up the complex system a game can be. A producer will make sure the game ships in time and with the best quality, it is not a whip, but a facilitator, helping the different team members accomplish their goals in the best way possible.

The best advice i can give you is to start making a simple game. It will require you to pick up some basic coding, art handling and basic game design, but it will give you a insight on the different areas of a game and also allow you learn what is that you like the most about making games. There are a lot of online tools for making games without much coding knowledge.. or you just can grab Adobe Flash which is fairly easy if you follow online tutorials. I must warn you that making games takes A LOT of work... but it is also very satisfying and fun :). But don't be afraid to jump in with what you know.

As a starting easy guiding point, i suggest you watch the ExtraCreditz guys on Youtube, they offer some very cool advice on game industry/development.
Check this playlist, it covers most of your questions, even choosing a game school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvWMdWhFCc&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5DuIIh7p9FOaR6f-WTTzz_A

Hope it helps!

Game'ON! :hero:
Ironhide Developer

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:44 pm

... Extra Credits... :evil:

Can't even say "Pedagogically." Tsk tsk tsk. ( :P )

Thanks, Vanzen, for the rest of the advice. ;) What sort of ways would you recommend getting experience the way you 3 did, unless there's possibly a better method of gaining that experience?

I'll be prepared to collaborate a lot, but I just happen to be someone who gets a lot of ideas both alone and from other people's ideas, and can figure out a plan to execute those ideas with efficiency. I suppose a game designer would then be the best choice, though I'd really like to start my own studio with friends. What advice would you have for entrepreneurial ambitions?

Thanks! :D
BBB

by wailwail » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:01 pm

Believe me, the sense of accomplishment and simply epicness you get when you finish a part of your game and saving the files before closing them is amazing :roll: . Don't try to work on large goals, they WILL discourage you to keep working on it. As everyone else said, start small! Vertical shooters, Avoider games, platformers, dang it you can even a one-button game!
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by The_Viking » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am

How big is this new game going to be compared to the other ones? (ex: twice as big, half as big, 1.5 times as big, etc.) I understand if it's way too early to have an exact answer, but do you have a rough estimate?
User

Location: Minnesota, U.S.A, which is pretty much just a new version of Norway.

by Lord of all evil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:00 am

My question which perhaps I didn't put well across in my long post was: Is the KR universe drawing to a close or is it just the updates for the KR games which are going to end.
User

by Juice Box » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:13 am

The_TaTs wrote:
flamemaster368 wrote:Do you people, as in Ironhide, plan to make a mini-campaign for Dragon Throne or are you just going to leave it there on the map? Because I see a lot of people hoping/expecting a mini-campaign, but can't find any actual confirmation from the devs.

The reason why you can't find any actual confirmation is because we never give information about the areas for upcoming new levels. We are very much aware of the amount of excitement regarding Dragon Throne.
We will stop with the updates for KRO after the one that will be released tomorrow. So you guys will have to wait quite a bit for a Dragon Throne expansion... some of us in the studio agree that we should make it happen... but there are other cool things we are working on.

The chances of having a Dragon Throne expansion has just skyrocketed!

Granted, it'll take time before we actually get it, but who cares? Atleast we'll actually get it.

Dragon Throne!

Hooah!
User

by Oof_Shunt » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:14 am

Hooah!

Question:
So Vez'nan "mewling quim" and "glorious purpose" uhhhhhm is Vez'nan Loki?
User

by Coolman13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:18 pm

kingdom_rush wrote:Hooah!

Question:
So Vez'nan "mewling quim" and "glorious purpose" uhhhhhm is Vez'nan Loki?

No, he just uses a Loki line.
Pi is yummy
User

by Pencil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:47 pm

The_Viking wrote:How big is this new game going to be compared to the other ones? (ex: twice as big, half as big, 1.5 times as big, etc.) I understand if it's way too early to have an exact answer, but do you have a rough estimate?

Nothings really final now in terms of content, since it's in the early builds, but I can tell you it has way more detail visually than the KR series :D
Also gameplay-wise, there's a really nice depth to it, so you min-maxers like me can also have some fun ;)
Ironhide Developer

by dimumurray » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Pencil wrote:but I can tell you it has way more detail visually than the KR series :D

Hmm....is it 3D?
User

by Vanzen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:... Extra Credits... :evil:

Can't even say "Pedagogically." Tsk tsk tsk. ( :P )

Thanks, Vanzen, for the rest of the advice. ;) What sort of ways would you recommend getting experience the way you 3 did, unless there's possibly a better method of gaining that experience?

Depends really on the area you want to develop yourself in and the experience you have now which i don't know.
Assuming you have no technical experience in any game development related area, i'd start trying to do a very small game on my own.
Simple stuff, simple concept, something that is doable in terms of art, coding and art. Like WailWail said.

I remember my first games back in 2000 were a Bowling flash game and a Mini Golf. Very simple, but rewarding in a sense of the work alone.
There was no flash industry back in the day... so it took me 10 years to try doing games again.

Learning to code at least on a basic level will really help you and let you materialize things.
Read some Game Design books : The Art of Game Design by Jesse Schell is a great one.
You don't need to learn to draw or 3d if that is not your passion. You can get art assets in many ways, team up with an artist or do your own art assets.
Part of the magic of doing games as an indie is finding solutions to problems.

Big Bad Bug wrote:I'll be prepared to collaborate a lot, but I just happen to be someone who gets a lot of ideas both alone and from other people's ideas, and can figure out a plan to execute those ideas with efficiency. I suppose a game designer would then be the best choice, though I'd really like to start my own studio with friends. What advice would you have for entrepreneurial ambitions?

Thanks! :D

Any development role can have ideas and execute them. Artist, coders, game designers... the roles doesn't limit your potential for ideas or execution.
A coder can try ideas faster, an artist can draw up a concept and convey information more clearly while a game designer will have a profound knowledge on how features affect the game and user experience. The area you choose should be what you like most or where you can add more value to a project.

Starting a studio with friends is a great idea. I suggest you start with a small team 2 to 4 guys total with a similar vision.
You need to have coding and art covered from the start. Game design you can learn on the way but it is better of course if you have some prior knowledge or at least an analytical mind when it comes to games. Last but not least, the team or someone on the team must be prepared to wear many hats. Game development isnt just art, code and design... it has a lot of production and technical stuff involved, like preparing game assets, sound editing, creating texts, UI design, emailing people, etc, etc.

All the best,
Vanzen
Ironhide Developer

PreviousNext