Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by The_TaTs » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:Of course, but I mean some points for Frontiers in particular? Just changing a couple of damage numbers while testing is still going on - hell we could even test it.

Re-balancing is not easy. It's not simply "change some numbers here and there". It requires a Game Designer that can see the big picture on how all units will interact on all scenarios.

Balancing requires patience, trial and error, and most of all, it takes time. This is one of the reasons why Iron Marines is taking so long. Rebalancing Frontiers would delay the release one month at best, several months at worst.

As usual, I'm sorry about this because I do agree with most of your suggestions on the need to take a look at balance. But, I also know how much time and effort it takes from this side.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Good, now that my previous question was answered, I can ask another one! :hero:

What do you think has been the biggest lesson about being a game design studio that the team has learned over the years since starting?

This is a good question. As usual. But the problem is, lessons are a bit personal. I'm pretty sure all 28 of us here have learnt something different.

I think the biggest lesson so far is that there is no comfort zone when you are trying to stay creative.

Mushmellow wrote:Thanks for answering my previous question... :D

Who is your favorite hero in KR (All games)? And why?

Tough one. I'll have to go with Alric. Good powers, cool story, awesome design.

RZRider wrote:Will you ever do a hero is born again except with a mini campaign instead of a hero?

It might happen. Though it would require a lot more work than it did for the Hero. There are far more things to decide.

FastAndBlast wrote:When is the Project X be released? :?:
Also have u ever considered making a tower defence but backwards so that u r the attacking side? :)

Thank You upfront! :)

Mystery Project X is scheduled for mid-late 2017. (Don't want to pull another Iron Marines and give a date that might change).

We did seriously considered doing a game were the player has to attack. Saw a couple of good games that attempts to do this, like Guns Up (for Playstation).
But we eventually went in another direction. We might go back to this in the future.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:55 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
The Kingmaker wrote:Of course, but I mean some points for Frontiers in particular? Just changing a couple of damage numbers while testing is still going on - hell we could even test it.

Re-balancing is not easy. It's not simply "change some numbers here and there". It requires a Game Designer that can see the big picture on how all units will interact on all scenarios.

Balancing requires patience, trial and error, and most of all, it takes time. This is one of the reasons why Iron Marines is taking so long. Rebalancing Frontiers would delay the release one month at best, several months at worst.

As usual, I'm sorry about this because I do agree with most of your suggestions on the need to take a look at balance. But, I also know how much time and effort it takes from this side.

Us users on the forums had a huge thread where we discussed and considered how to properly rebalance the heroes of each game, pretty much doing all of "the big picture" thinking ourselves. We know the numbers of balanced heroes like Dante, the UP heroes like Dierdre, and the OP heroes like Alric, for each game. All of the trail and error time will be drastically reduced because of this. So, basically, I'm going to ask the studio to reconsider trying to rebalance the heroes of their highest selling game, if that counts as being on-topic in this thread. ;)
BBB

by The_TaTs » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:11 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:

Us users on the forums had a huge thread where we discussed and considered how to properly rebalance the heroes of each game, pretty much doing all of "the big picture" thinking ourselves. We know the numbers of balanced heroes like Dante, the UP heroes like Dierdre, and the OP heroes like Alric, for each game. All of the trail and error time will be drastically reduced because of this. So, basically, I'm going to ask the studio to reconsider trying to rebalance the heroes of their highest selling game, if that counts as being on-topic in this thread. ;)

The answer to this is, sadly: We will not rebalance Frontiers right now and can't promise that we will do it eventually.
Sorry.

As a personal take on this:
The "Trial" part of Trial and error would imply putting your suggestions to the test. If they are correct then all is good, if the aren't then we'll have to go back to the drawing board and things will get delayed.
The suggestions in that thread are great, I agree with most of them, but they are still theoretical. The studio would have to bet time/money on those suggestions being right to begin with. As much as I support you guys on this one, it's also fair to say that the studio would be thaking all the risks here.
User

by RZRider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:56 am

Will veznan be a boss in a future kingdom rush. Like a blood trickster with some awesome backstory like he was on the brink of death and found elinyes tear and it gave him mass power and he revives veznan? Just an idea.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by FeedDaKingdom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:30 pm

1. What happens to the hero when they die? How do they respawn? What happens when they are given an instant burial?
2. How does Magnus Spellbane react to this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aLyiI2odhU
Every soul is sacred, no one has to die
I just change the pace of inevitability
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:10 pm

How often do you guys get things right on the first try, where you test it and it already works perfectly?
BBB

by FeedDaKingdom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 pm

Should i wait until he answers or just give my next questions?
User

by Rurin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:35 pm

bolin wrote:
Rurin wrote:Lord Malagar has the quote, "The cake is a lie!" So my question is this, is he referencing portal, or Vez'nan's quote "You will be baked, and then there will be cake"?

They are both referencing Portal.

TheLightBringer wrote:on what hours you work?
do you work also from home?

Most people do 9 to 18, though some work less hours so they´ll do 9 - whatever.
Ocassionally someone will take stuff to do at home, it´s pretty much up to them. I´d say it is uncommon.

Thanks, I've never player portal, but I've heard about the cake.
Dungeons deep and caverns old.
User

by The Propellord » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:10 pm

Do you ever get tired of having to answer the same questions over and over again?? Have you ever had to answer this question??
*Insert evil laugh here; followed by violent coughing; and then more laughing*
User

by The_TaTs » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:31 pm

RZRider wrote:Will veznan be a boss in a future kingdom rush. Like a blood trickster with some awesome backstory like he was on the brink of death and found elinyes tear and it gave him mass power and he revives veznan? Just an idea.

He might. Stay tuned.

FeedDaKingdom wrote:1. What happens to the hero when they die? How do they respawn? What happens when they are given an instant burial?
2. How does Magnus Spellbane react to this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aLyiI2odhU

Heroes go to a pub called "The Afterlife" for an ice cold beer. Then they get kicked out and sent back to the fight.
Magnus would dance to that song like a madman, but only if he is sure that no one is watching.

Big Bad Bug wrote:How often do you guys get things right on the first try, where you test it and it already works perfectly?

Very rarely. Even Origins, our third KR game had a ton of bugs, and we weren't really innovating much except for the Hero skill system.

FeedDaKingdom wrote:Should i wait until he answers or just give my next questions?

That's entirely up to you! :)
Some people waits, and some people posts a ton of questions.

The Propellord wrote:Do you ever get tired of having to answer the same questions over and over again?? Have you ever had to answer this question??

1- No.
2 -Yes.

8-)
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:57 am

Training the barracks troops, and reinforcements, does it look like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQFzsfJilc

What happens when enemies get through and you lose lives anyway?
Last edited by FeedDaKingdom on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

by FastAndBlast » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:32 am

Have you ever had a situation where you lost a lot of work because you didn't save?
That happened to me yesterday and i lost 2000 lines of code and the latest save i had was from 1 month ago :cry:
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by Lord of all evil » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:15 am

Would you release a special update like Castle Blackburn for KRF, even if it's two years from now, in celebration of steam campaigns
Would you try to design in app purchase campaigns
User

by FastAndBlast » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 am

Have you ever considered heroes that can be shared across games? that would be cool! 8-)
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:43 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
Heroes go to a pub called "The Afterlife" for an ice cold beer. Then they get kicked out and sent back to the fight.
Magnus would dance to that song like a madman, but only if he is sure that no one is watching.

1. Why that doesn't happen with villains?
2. Can Bolin Quickscope?
User

by magicmetal03 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Have you guys ever had a power outage in the studio? And how many?

Have any of you have/has had a condition(ex:HIV(hope not),Synethesis, ADHD, etc)
Last edited by magicmetal03 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by TheLightBringer » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:44 pm

1) As a fellow creative person sometimes I just have an idea for one game and then it can develop to hundreds of ideas, but sometimes I can just dry out of any idea in any game. What do you guys do at work when you run out of ideas? (That could be how iron marines were created I assume - or just by an idea which was intended to be for KR but would not fit and just snowballed)

2) Is there a chance that you'd actually take a phenomenal idea from the forums and create a further kingdom rush based and built around the idea?

3) Into how large scale would you guys want to get with your games, in terms of community/followers?

4) Assuming you never ran out of resources, ideas, energy, motivation and time, how many versions would you like to release for KR?

5) Would you like your future KR version (aka KR 4 and so forth) to include more content and new features?

6) Would you ever like to try making KR even more lore-involved?

7) Assuming your next game releases will result in huuuuuuuuuge money profits, what would you do with the money? [if not for personal life]
Last edited by TheLightBringer on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

by Juice Box » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:57 pm

FeedDaKingdom wrote:2. How does Magnus Spellbane react to this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aLyiI2odhU

OMG!! Totally offtopic but I love that song!! You, sir, have good taste 8-) .
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:30 am

Why was this soundtrack unused for Rising Tides?
I think its epic, or are you going to use it for the Steam version?
User

by The Kingmaker » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:28 am

FeedDaKingdom wrote:Why was this soundtrack unused for Rising Tides?
I think its epic, or are you going to use it for the Steam version?

33:33 onwards for Dragon Throne #2K16
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

PreviousNext