Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by FeedDaKingdom » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:28 pm

How about the Iron Marines beta testing for Android? How can we do that? What will we be using?
In Iron Marines, you have 2 different planets, so 2 enemy factions?
How will the voice acting be in Iron Marines? (How many types of voice lines for each unit, do their voice change depending on the situation, different voices on the same unit)
Will it be KR style (somewhat limited if its on an RTS), Starcraft style (good amount of voices per unit for most orders, but only 1 voice tone), or Company of Heroes style (some units have different voices, units start to shout when in combat, and sound legitimately desperate when low health/ surrounded)
Last edited by FeedDaKingdom on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Every soul is sacred, no one has to die
I just change the pace of inevitability
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Do you think the world is overpopulated?
BBB

by RZRider » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Pencil are you going to go to Discord? Do you have an account? It is a pretty funny thread.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by RZRider » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:11 pm

What social media types do you have?
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by Ninja » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Have you personally met any forum members?
:hero:
User

by GeminiSparkSP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:41 am

So, I saw a screenshot of KRF Steam's hero room. There are 9 heroes available, and 9 more coming soon. After counting the rest of the heroes, I found out that you have two extra slots. New heroes confirmed?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:31 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:Who would you say has the best job in the studio?

What is the worst job and why?

(What's the weather like?)

Funny thing... I think that if you go and ask any team member... each of them would say "I Do" for both questions.

GeminiSparkSP wrote:So, suppose Reg'Son and Lynn finally sit down and talk. How long do you think it takes before they hook up, and how long does it last?

Honestly?
I don't see them together. Too similar and too different in all the things that matters.

FeedDaKingdom wrote:How about the Iron Marines beta testing for Android? How can we do that? What will we be using?
In Iron Marines, you have 2 different planets, so 2 enemy factions?
How will the voice acting be in Iron Marines? (How many types of voice lines for each unit, do their voice change depending on the situation, different voices on the same unit)
Will it be KR style (somewhat limited if its on an RTS), Starcraft style (good amount of voices per unit for most orders, but only 1 voice tone), or Company of Heroes style (some units have different voices, units start to shout when in combat, and sound legitimately desperate when low health/ surrounded)

- Too long to explain that, but we'll have a Beta Testing for Iron Marines on Android like we did for all our previous games.
- Maybe.
- We still haven't done the voice acting (is one of the final things before the Beta starts).
- Middle point between KR and Starcraft, I think.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Do you think the world is overpopulated?

Not going there. Sorry.

RZRider wrote:Pencil are you going to go to Discord? Do you have an account? It is a pretty funny thread.

Pencil has been super busy with Uni and work. He'll show up sooner or later.

RZRider wrote:What social media types do you have?

-Facebook
-Twitter
-Youtube
-Tumblr
-This Forum
-Steam Forum

Ninja wrote:Have you personally met any forum members?

Sadly no.
None of you seems to live in the place we usually travel to (mainly San Francisco).
Maybe one day.

GeminiSparkSP wrote:So, I saw a screenshot of KRF Steam's hero room. There are 9 heroes available, and 9 more coming soon. After counting the rest of the heroes, I found out that you have two extra slots. New heroes confirmed?

No new heroes confirmed. It's just a possibility for now.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Do you think it could ever be worthwhile to charge full price for a game that was really, really short and had no replay value if it was just fun enough for the few hours it lasted?
BBB

by dimumurray » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Do you think it could ever be worthwhile to charge full price for a game that was really, really short and had no replay value if it was just fun enough for the few hours it lasted?

There is a place for such experiences:
In Defense of Short Games - Worth Every Dollar - Extra Credits
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:20 am

dimumurray wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:Do you think it could ever be worthwhile to charge full price for a game that was really, really short and had no replay value if it was just fun enough for the few hours it lasted?

There is a place for such experiences:
In Defense of Short Games - Worth Every Dollar - Extra Credits

Agh! Extra Credits! I loathe that channel!
BBB

by Ninja » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Ooh! Extra Credits! I love that channel!

You've professed to hate it before. :?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 am

Ninja wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:
[+] SPOILER
Tats, I will have my vengeance.

Tats edited my post despite the fact that the confusion it creates will only further drive the thread off-topic. ;)
BBB

by FeedDaKingdom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMfrT1R4Ahs
What is your opinion of that?
you're going to do something about that?
To be fair, its extremely difficult for smaller devs to protect their games from piracy..
User

by The_TaTs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:44 pm

Depends on what you understand for "full price". To me, full price only means the price that the game had at launch, with no promotional discounts.

Then, it would also depend on the overall quality of the game. Are the graphics full 3d, state of the art with motion capture? Or Undertale style? Does it have voice acting?

Price, for me, is not only directly linked to the overall entertainment it can provide, but also the overall production values of the game.

On a very personal level... if you make a game that entertains me in some way, even if it is for a couple of hours then you get my money. After all, I pay for movies, don't I? ;)

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Ninja wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:
[+] SPOILER
Tats, I will have my vengeance.

Tats edited my post despite the fact that the confusion it creates will only further drive the thread off-topic. ;)

You disappoint me BBB... a smart person such as yourself should have observed that I didn't edit your original post. Ninja simply changed your text in his quote, which is something anyone can do. So, while it saddens me that you thought I would sabotage my own thread with such nonsense... I also find it funny that you fell into Ninja's silly prank. 8-)

FeedDaKingdom wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMfrT1R4Ahs
What is your opinion of that?
you're going to do something about that?
To be fair, its extremely difficult for smaller devs to protect their games from piracy..

It's also extremely difficult for larger devs to protect their games, mind you.

But it's true that as a small studio, it can be very tough, here is why...
From what I've learned, you can either spend time fighting piracy and illegal clones of your games... OR you can spend time making new games. It's very difficult to do both. Ironhide co-founders decided that focusing on our own games was better for morale and the overall quality of what we do... so we mostly ignore pirates.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:07 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Depends on what you understand for "full price". To me, full price only means the price that the game had at launch, with no promotional discounts.

Then, it would also depend on the overall quality of the game. Are the graphics full 3d, state of the art with motion capture? Or Undertale style? Does it have voice acting?

Price, for me, is not only directly linked to the overall entertainment it can provide, but also the overall production values of the game.

On a very personal level... if you make a game that entertains me in some way, even if it is for a couple of hours then you get my money. After all, I pay for movies, don't I? ;)

Some games are humble and don't ask for the full $60 maximum price here in the US (or at least in California) if the game knows that it isn't a triple A game or a really big hyped up game. Movie-based games tend to be made just as another way of making a product for a franchise, whereas something like The Witcher 3 is made as purely a video game, and, excuse my lack of proper wording, is more honorable with the way it treats itself.

It's hard to describe for me, but certain games are made with more respect to the medium than those that are just made because the creators think they can get money out of producing another form of entertainment. I think those games should be allowed to charge more money if they're going to provide more and live up to the expectations of a triple A game compared to a game made just because it's another thing to sell to people.

I wouldn't pay money just for any amount of entertainment from a game. After all, if we spend more for less entertainment, the entertainment will keep costing us more and giving us less. What do you think? :)

The_TaTs wrote:You disappoint me BBB... a smart person such as yourself should have observed that I didn't edit your original post. Ninja simply changed your text in his quote, which is something anyone can do. So, while it saddens me that you thought I would sabotage my own thread with such nonsense... I also find it funny that you fell into Ninja's silly prank. 8-)

Then, why was my original post also edited at the time of his post? Ninja doesn't have that privelage.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
BBB

by Ninja » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Then, why was my original post also edited at the time of his post? Ninja doesn't have that privelage.

[+] SPOILER
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

(You misspelled "privilege". Also, there shouldn't be a comma after "then". Your post is nullified. :P )
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Are any of the heroes interested in playing Pokemon Go?
User

by The_TaTs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:32 pm

BBB, seriously.... I didn't edit any post. Whenever I do that as a joke, I'm not subtle about it.

Let's go back to topic, shall we? :)

FeedDaKingdom wrote:Are any of the heroes interested in playing Pokemon Go?

Catha... obviously. :lol:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:45 pm

The_TaTs wrote:BBB, seriously.... I didn't edit any post. Whenever I do that as a joke, I'm not subtle about it.

The forum is haunted, then.

The_TaTs wrote:Let's go back to topic, shall we? :)

I still have my new question posted whenever you're ready. :)
BBB

by The_TaTs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:Let's go back to topic, shall we? :)

I still have my new question posted whenever you're ready. :)

I missed the "What do you think?" at the end of your post.

My personal philosophy for a game with a AAA price (50 to 60 dollars) is that the game has to offer an average of 1 hour of gameplay x dollar.
It's not a rule set in stone, mind you. Just a guideline on how I usually spend my hard earned salary when it comes to games.

I don't buy games directly based on movies... I've seen that they are never really good, and yes, they are usually just a marketing ploy to make more cash.
I have, however, enjoyed games based on franchises... like the Ghostbusters game from 2011 or Mad Max, that are loosely based on the movies but not directly linked to them. Both games also provide with a considerable amount of story and gameplay.
User

PreviousNext