Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by warbot1000 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:57 pm

which dev spends the most time playing the games?
also what would you say are your three biggest competitors?

my ideas
http://www.ironhidegames.com/forums/vie ... =15&t=4760
I am master of the elements, student of goku and digimon king
My friends an I fight for good beware of warbot the humanrobot!!

If its not JB its not right!
User

by bolin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:02 pm

warbot1000 wrote:which dev spends the most time playing the games?

Probably game designers and programmers.
Though before a big release (Origins for example) we'll be in full test mode and pretty much everyone in the office will be playing the game giving feedback to designers and reporting bugs.

I have 102 hours of Kingdom Rush tracked by Steam and I'm pretty sure non of those where "playing the game for fun" hours. And we only integrated Steam into the game when we were close to release, I can't remember exactly but I think it was two months before maybe less.
Ironhide Developer

by blu3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:25 pm

if you guys play the game so much in test mode whats the need for beta testers?
breadsticks
User

Location: Across the street from that place, you know, that place, the one with the sign?

by Chimto » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Are we testers going to have our own subforum so we don't have to resort to PMs to communicate?
wailwail wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:favourite

NOT AGAIN :cry:

Why the hatred for proper English, anyway?
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by blu3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:39 pm

if we had our own subforum then everyone else would see it

maybe he's ocd
breadsticks
User

Location: Across the street from that place, you know, that place, the one with the sign?

by Chimto » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:42 pm

if we had our own subforum then everyone else would see it

Sigh...
No, I'm obviously talking about a PRIVATE subforum which ONLY testers can see. Which, by the way, is COMPLETELY POSSIBLE to script.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by blu3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:43 pm

seems unnecessary, whats wrong with pming anyway? also, you didn't say private, you said "our own" which could've just meant a subforum with the name beta testers slapped on it.
breadsticks
User

by Chimto » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:21 am

blu3 wrote:seems unnecessary, whats wrong with pming anyway?

PMs are inefficient and too much of a hassle when communicating between more than 2 people.
blu3 wrote:also, you didn't say private, you said "our own" which could've just meant a subforum with the name beta testers slapped on it.

Oh, right. I forgot that you, blu3, lack the mental capacity to understand what I imply (instead of saying explicitly) anyway, though I don't expect you to be able to understand what I'm saying either.
User

by FiskeAgent007 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 am

Will you ever create one, big, Kingdom Rush game that you will just keep updating and adding more lvls to instead of creating a new KR game over and over again?
Making it so we could make our own set of towers and maybe make some special kind of lvls where you will be able to have two of your own heroes that you can pick yourself in the beginning of the lvl?
User

by The_TaTs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:13 am

Chimto and Blue... Settle down. This thread is NOT for discussions. You ask questions, we answer. If you start to argue then the Thread becomes really confusing and people needs to start scrolling up and down trying to follow the actual conversation.

Please do not try to reply for us... we can do it ourselves.
And if a question seems too obvious then ignore it.

We need Beta Testers because there is always something you miss when you are the creator of a videogame. Same as if you are the writer of a book, you need people doing proof reading because you are no longer able to see your mistakes.

Also, I'm currently in the process of creating a private subforum so Beta Testers can exchange thoughts... sending PM limits the conversation to 2 people, while a Subforum allows for several people to engage in meaningful exchange.

FiskeAgent007 wrote:Will you ever create one, big, Kingdom Rush game that you will just keep updating and adding more lvls to instead of creating a new KR game over and over again?
Making it so we could make our own set of towers and maybe make some special kind of lvls where you will be able to have two of your own heroes that you can pick yourself in the beginning of the lvl?

Not likely. The games have a size limit so they can be installed without taking an excessive amount of memory space. We currently have no servers to host game information online.
User

by razieltnt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:25 am

Do You have only one, shiny and well-documented code for these awesome arcs, that are created each time archer shoot an arrow?
This is the most boozesome, alcohol-soaked dwarven moradinian warrior cleric that I have ever drank with.
Thank You RaZoR LeAf for Your time and commitment.
User

by Ki-adi Mundi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:35 am

What is your favourite tower and why? I've always wanted to know which towers the game devs enjoyed playing/designing the most.
User

by bolin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:29 pm

razieltnt wrote:Do You have only one, shiny and well-documented code for these awesome arcs, that are created each time archer shoot an arrow?

Yes, though it might not be as shiny and well documented as you expect.
Ironhide Developer

by Please Dont Ban Me » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Is it possible to get past wave 30 of Twilight Invasion consistently, without using Gnome Shop items or premium heroes that you have to buy?
I just want a signature.
User

Location: Spawning from a Poison Pool whenever a Earth Elemental is killed

by Colo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Please Dont Ban Me wrote:Is it possible to get past wave 30 of Twilight Invasion consistently, without using Gnome Shop items or premium heroes that you have to buy?

Yes, you can. But being and endless a lot of factors make it's difficulty vary. What enemies appear, from which path, what towers are you using, etc.

I don't really remember how far I went but I was about the 50 - 55 last time I tried without Gnome Shop Items.
Ironhide Developer

by Simmonds91 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 pm

How was your day today?
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:03 pm

I must ask this: Why is Endless Mode designed to an eventually loss for the player? In another thread I was told that it was the original vision and that's what you guys wanted, but specifically why is that what you want?

Also, to the best of your ability to describe, what is a typical day like at the studio?
BBB

by razieltnt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:58 pm

In my company, pizza day is Thursday, how about You?
This is the most boozesome, alcohol-soaked dwarven moradinian warrior cleric that I have ever drank with.
User

by The_TaTs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Ki-adi Mundi wrote:What is your favourite tower and why? I've always wanted to know which towers the game devs enjoyed playing/designing the most.

Already answered this one.

KR: Big Bertha
KRF: MECHA TOWERS!!!! :hero:
KRO: All the mages towers (the first towers with female characters! We are very happy with those).

Simmonds91 wrote:How was your day today?

Still going with over 9hrs before it's over. But fine so far, thanks for asking.

Big Bad Bug wrote:I must ask this: Why is Endless Mode designed to an eventually loss for the player? In another thread I was told that it was the original vision and that's what you guys wanted, but specifically why is that what you want?

The Endless mode was created with the old arcade games in mind. The levels are supposed to have no ending and we didn't like the idea of of reaching a status quo... basically, we don't want to give the player the chance to see that nothing new or exciting will happen in the level... so it's better to DIE Muahahaha. :veznan:
In short: An Endless have two possibilities, Arcade or Sandbox, we decided that Arcade was better. That's all there is to it.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Also, to the best of your ability to describe, what is a typical day like at the studio?

I'll go ahead and admit that I was very tempted to answer your other question with all sorts of nonsense... but maybe you really want to know how is the workflow in a video game studio... the answer is... as normal as pretty much any other office but with people wearing t-shirts and jeans instead of using ties.

A typical day in Ironhide would depend on what production stage we are. But it's usually like this:

- We all arrive between 9 or 9.30 and sit in our desks quietly working on our things. This is usually the best time of the day to concentrate.
- Lunch is usually around 12.30PM - 1PM. The office gets a bit more noisy, as some of us go out to buy food while others heat up food they brought from home.
- During lunch we usually talk of dumb things and banter quite loudly.
- We are usually done with lunch at 2PM
- The mood after lunch is usually a bit more relaxed but we still work as quietly as possible as to avoid distracting the rest of the team (sometimes we start talking loudly and get scolded by the more quiet ones :oops: )
- Between 3PM and 5PM everyone ends up swinging by the kitchen for some coffee.
- By 6PM we are usually closing shop and play Mortal Kombat for a bit.

Alvaro, Pablo and Gonzalo have a ton of meetings and Skype calls throughout the day, so their schedule is a bit different.
Also, when we are just starting with a new video game there are several brainstorming team meetings that sometimes lasts for several hours. The studio looks half empty those days.
User

by razieltnt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:01 pm

The_TaTs wrote: as normal as pretty much any other office but with people wearing t-shirts and jeans instead of using ties.
I work for a company that doesn't have dress code too, and we don't develop games at all. I like to go to work wearing my sandals and short pants, all by bicycle.

There is one guy that likes fancy game t-shirts and comes to work dressed in them. Not a single kr-themed one, sadly.

A Question:
How many checks does a message to fans go through?
Differentiate these if posted on forum or on other social media, please :)
User

PreviousNext