Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by xstargaming » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:18 pm

When you're not at the office, how does everyone communicate? Do you use mobiles, do you e-mail one another, or do you prefer another means?
User

by The_TaTs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:58 pm

razieltnt wrote:A Question:
How many checks does a message to fans go through?
Differentiate these if posted on forum or on other social media, please :)

Depends on the message.

Bolin and Colo usually check my grammar. Alvaro and Pablo are the ones who set the guidelines on what is ok to post.

Official announcements go through some proofreading as I pest whomever I can find available to check my grammar.
I sent messages on Facebook and Twitter with a double check... and facepalm later if I made a mistake.

xstargaming wrote:When you're not at the office, how does everyone communicate? Do you use mobiles, do you e-mail one another, or do you prefer another means?

Telepathy, smoke signals, bird calls and trained eagles that carry our messages.

(Seriously though, in the rare occasions we "Need" to communicate outside of the office we use pretty standard methods... WhatsApp, Gtalk, SMS or a phone call)
User

by Pencil » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:08 pm

So you're not telling them about the Ironchat? Ok
Ironhide Developer

by AerisDraco » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:29 pm

What kind of consoles are there in the IH studio?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RaZoR LeAf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:35 pm

As a team, do you enjoy doing any other activities aside from playing video games? Most of my days or nights out with peeps from work are either movies, bowling or going to a pub.
Yes it's me

by RZRider » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:08 am

Hello,
I am just starting (at eleven ) in programming. I am very intrested in it but I am not getting very far.I only know a very very very limited amount of java and python. do you have any advice or any helpful tips.

Please answer
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by blu3 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:35 am

which game developing company is your biggest competitor, this question has been asked before but i am very intrigued by it
breadsticks
User

Location: Across the street from that place, you know, that place, the one with the sign?

by Finwer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:23 am

I want to know if you guys ever talk about things that the community said like "Hey guys the wierdos on the forums want us to rebalance the heroes" and are the suggestion made by the community taken seriously?
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by RZRider » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Why did you choose a fantasy/medival setting. This just happens to be my favorite genere. :D
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by RZRider » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:52 pm

How do you decide on the enimies and heroes? How much work went into the community hero. How much (estimating) lines of code are in each update. If any of these were already asked I apoligize.
User

by warbot1000 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:47 am

are you going to appoint a forum moderator if so when and how?

my ideas
http://www.ironhidegames.com/forums/vie ... =15&t=4760
I am master of the elements, student of goku and digimon king
My friends an I fight for good beware of warbot the humanrobot!!

If its not JB its not right!
User

by Oof_Shunt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Is there any chance you guys could update Frontiers so that the names on the portraits are more like Origins ,,, like instead of 2 horizontal bars they could be 3 horizontal bars or fiery? ,,, It'd make them all equal and they'd be like new heroes
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Whilst belting out classic 80's tunes in the car on my drive home today another question came to mind. Everyone knows how many references are rammed into the Kingdom Rush games, from spoken quotes, in-game tex, visual easter eggs, all sorts. Do you watch, listen to, read all of the subjects that they come from and pull out what you think works well, or do you just pick some of the lines up from websites (like the Quotes pages of imdb for instance)? I personally find referential quotes and things the hardest to come up with when fanficing.
Yes it's me

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:50 am

Has there ever been legal trouble regarding the references put into everything, from petty threats to lawsuits?
BBB

by Colo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 pm

AerisDraco wrote:What kind of consoles are there in the IH studio?

We have a kickass homemade Arcade for 4 players that we use everyday after work to play some Mortal Kombat 9 (actually its almost the only game we play here).
We also have a PS3 but we never use it.
Ironhide Developer

by deoxsis12 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 am

What is the hero you guys had the most fun designing? I think RnR and Durax are really fun and creative.
Grawl for president! Get your free pet rock today!

Mission Report December 16 1991...
User

by awesomejoon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 am

How big is your studio? Lol
How did you guys come up with such unique concept and design?
Fate/Grand Order is a cancer game
I'm dead. Nuff said
User

by quarnster » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks for one of my favourite game series ever.

What tools do you use to create your games? (besides cocos2d as already mentioned)

Any custom tools and if so what do they do?
User

by kevin32 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:19 pm

I appreciate you guys doing the question/answer thing. It's strange. I've had a number of questions for Ironhide that I didn't get a response to. Now that they're soliciting questions, a part of me doesn't want to ask because I want to be surprised by what they do next. But the questions are bubbling up inside.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by The_TaTs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:43 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:As a team, do you enjoy doing any other activities aside from playing video games? Most of my days or nights out with peeps from work are either movies, bowling or going to a pub.

Some of us play football from time to time, and we also get together a few times a year for a barbecue ("asado" we call it) which is a very common thing to do here in Uruguay... get together with family, friends or coworkers and grill some meat.

Gerson and Colo used to play tabletop RPG's... Dungeons & Dragons and Vampire, I think.

RZRider wrote:Hello,
I am just starting (at eleven ) in programming. I am very intrested in it but I am not getting very far.I only know a very very very limited amount of java and python. do you have any advice or any helpful tips.

Please answer

Start small. Don't try to program a full game yet. Instead, try to fool around with basic coding.
Also, there are a ton of Tutorials in Youtube, use them when you get stuck... you'll be amazed the amount of time a simple Google Search helped some of the programers here at Ironhide.

blu3 wrote:which game developing company is your biggest competitor, this question has been asked before but i am very intrigued by it

Basically, every single mobile game developer out there is our competitor.
Supercell (Clash of clans, Boom Beach) is probably one of the rival companies we pay attention the most, since they have been super successful while maintaining a "small team" philosophy.

Finwer wrote:I want to know if you guys ever talk about things that the community said like "Hey guys the wierdos on the forums want us to rebalance the heroes" and are the suggestion made by the community taken seriously?

Like I've told you guys many times, I often share your thoughts and suggestions with the rest of the team. It's part of my job.
Some things are taken seriously and others aren't, because, with all due respect, not everything you guys suggest is reasonable.

For the most part, balancing issues are always taken into consideration and some Heroes were actually tweaked quite a bit after some suggestion by the Beta Testers.
Balancing old Heroes from Frontiers or the first Kingdom Ruhs is considered a good idea, but not feasible in our current schedule.

RZRider wrote:Why did you choose a fantasy/medival setting. This just happens to be my favorite genere. :D

Because we wanted melee battles in Tower Defense, and medieval settings are the best for it.
Also, we all like medieval Fantasy and we are huge fans of the Warcraft series by Blizzard.

RZRider wrote:How do you decide on the enimies and heroes?
How much work went into the community hero.
How much (estimating) lines of code are in each update.
If any of these were already asked I apoligize.

- By brainstorming.
- A LOT of work.
- Bolin is sick with the flu and I can't ask him. Sorry.

warbot1000 wrote:are you going to appoint a forum moderator if so when and how?

We will be selecting Moderators soon by asking politely to certain Forum members that seem to fit the profile we are looking for.

kingdom_rush wrote:Is there any chance you guys could update Frontiers so that the names on the portraits are more like Origins ,,, like instead of 2 horizontal bars they could be 3 horizontal bars or fiery? ,,, It'd make them all equal and they'd be like new heroes

Potato.
(That means "No chance, lol").

RaZoR LeAf wrote:Whilst belting out classic 80's tunes in the car on my drive home today another question came to mind. Everyone knows how many references are rammed into the Kingdom Rush games, from spoken quotes, in-game tex, visual easter eggs, all sorts. Do you watch, listen to, read all of the subjects that they come from and pull out what you think works well, or do you just pick some of the lines up from websites (like the Quotes pages of imdb for instance)? I personally find referential quotes and things the hardest to come up with when fanficing.

It's a bit more of an intuitive process. We usually come up with the easter eggs as we go along with the game development and check the source to make sure we are saying it right.
Since almost everyone here in the studio is a bit of a nerd, there's never a shortage of pop-culture references to use.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Has there ever been legal trouble regarding the references put into everything, from petty threats to lawsuits?

We haven't had any troubles so far. Probably because easter eggs are just nods to a specific copyrighted intellectual property. Many comic books, movies and video games use easter eggs as nods to something the creators like... it's a way of flattery, not of profiting from someone else's creation.
But who knows... if Bethesda can sue Notch for using the word "Scrolls" on a game, then maybe we are seconds away from a legal conflict with someone. 8-)

awesomejoon wrote:How big is your studio? Lol
How did you guys come up with such unique concept and design?

- We are currently on a medium-sized loft. It has a main office space where 13 of us work and a small upper room where the other 8 are working on their own project. Then we have a small conference room, a nice kitchen and a somewhat small lunch room.
Here is a pic of the main office space.

- The co-founders wanted something simple but that also looked nice. So Gonzalo campe up with the visual design, Alvaro created the gameplay and Pablo developed the pathfinding system that was used on all 3 games.

quarnster wrote:Thanks for one of my favourite game series ever.

What tools do you use to create your games? (besides cocos2d as already mentioned)

Any custom tools and if so what do they do?

No other tools. We are now using Unity to code our new games, Flash for designing and animating characters and Photoshop for polishing.

Sometimes basic tools are the best.
User

PreviousNext