Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by GeminiSparkSP » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:17 am

Nivus is a fun, kooky old man. Why did his students both turn out messed up?

Just my shipping brain acting up, but is there something between Baj'Nimen and Malicia? Dude could've usurped the throne, but he wanted to burn the world instead to avenge her.

You said Eridan and Arivan's parents are a druid and a sorcreress, and they both appear as towers. Now, is the father just a level 3 Druid, or an Archdruid? Same goes with the mother. Is she just a level 3 Mage, or is she a Wild Magus?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by Oof_Shunt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:32 pm

Have you guys seen BOTFA Extended Edition...
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 pm

If you had to travel through the Rotten Forest at night and could choose 1 hero as a bodyguard, who would you pick?
BBB

by Sinque Productions » Sun May 01, 2016 4:48 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Vez'Nan is more of a goal oriented manager. He appoints someone to be in charge, gives that person resources and people, and expects certain results.
If that person fails, then Vez'Nan uses his long experience as a team leader to boil the person alive while the underlings watch in panic.
You know, just normal business common sense.

That's my favorite dark wizard

The_TaTs wrote:The supreme magical champion in a magic melee, each hero at peak capacity, all things are equal and no install is involved.... I think it would probably be Vez'Nan. He was an apprentice of Nivus, and in this kind of story, the apprentice always surpasses the master.

Thank you soooooooooo much. Vez'nan is officially supreme.
:veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan:

Also, who was Nivus' other apprentice? Magnus?
The above message has been sent by The Killian Experience version of Addy.
User

by Chimto » Mon May 02, 2016 1:15 pm

What's Ironhide's stance on modding in general? How much does the team plan to support modding in your future games?
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Ook ook » Mon May 02, 2016 6:20 pm

When will you be able to tell us stuff about KR4?
Long live the tats... Oh and pencil!
Ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook
User

by The_TaTs » Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 pm

GeminiSparkSP wrote:Nivus is a fun, kooky old man. Why did his students both turn out messed up?

Just my shipping brain acting up, but is there something between Baj'Nimen and Malicia? Dude could've usurped the throne, but he wanted to burn the world instead to avenge her.

You said Eridan and Arivan's parents are a druid and a sorcreress, and they both appear as towers. Now, is the father just a level 3 Druid, or an Archdruid? Same goes with the mother. Is she just a level 3 Mage, or is she a Wild Magus?

So far, only Vez'Nan turn bad. Magnus is for all intent and purposes a very talented wizard that helped the Kingdom without showing any evil side.

Malicia is too self-centered to be in a relationship (I think)... and Baj'Nimen was probably driven to insanity by the total collapse of his Elven Clan after what seemed to be a triumphant return to supremacy. All the dreams of domination and restitution of the Twilight Elves got squashed under the unexpected leadership of Eridan, Denas and Vez'Nan.

Eridan and Arivan's parents are an Archdruid and a Wild Magus.

Oof_Shunt wrote:Have you guys seen BOTFA Extended Edition...

I haven't. Can't speak for the rest of the team.

Big Bad Bug wrote:If you had to travel through the Rotten Forest at night and could choose 1 hero as a bodyguard, who would you pick?

Malik Hammerfury. In my mind, he speaks in third person and sounds a lot like Mr.T.

Sinque Productions wrote:
[+] SPOILER
The_TaTs wrote:Vez'Nan is more of a goal oriented manager. He appoints someone to be in charge, gives that person resources and people, and expects certain results.
If that person fails, then Vez'Nan uses his long experience as a team leader to boil the person alive while the underlings watch in panic.
You know, just normal business common sense.

That's my favorite dark wizard

The_TaTs wrote:The supreme magical champion in a magic melee, each hero at peak capacity, all things are equal and no install is involved.... I think it would probably be Vez'Nan. He was an apprentice of Nivus, and in this kind of story, the apprentice always surpasses the master.

Thank you soooooooooo much. Vez'nan is officially supreme.
:veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan: :veznan:

Also, who was Nivus' other apprentice? Magnus?

Magnus.

Chimto wrote:What's Ironhide's stance on modding in general? How much does the team plan to support modding in your future games?

Those of us who know about modding agree that it's a very good thing and that games that support modding tend to be all the better for it. The thing is, we are already behind schedule with Iron Marines after deciding to add more content, so the vainilla version wouldn't be so... well, vainilla. Making it mod-compatible would require a ton of extra testing that we are no longer able to afford.
KR 4 is still a bit far off to know if it will be mod-compatible or not... but in this case, the biggest concern is that making it mod-friendly would effectively kill the chances for a full save game sync between mobile and pc version (saves with mods won't be able to run on mobile).

Ook ook wrote:When will you be able to tell us stuff about KR4?

Probably after the release of Iron Marines? We can't tell you what we don't know yet.
User

by Ninja » Mon May 02, 2016 7:32 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
GeminiSparkSP wrote:Nivus is a fun, kooky old man. Why did his students both turn out messed up?

So far, only Vez'Nan turn bad. Magnus is for all intent and purposes a very talented wizard that helped the Kingdom without showing any evil side.

I don't think Gemini is suggesting that Magnus is evil; all he's saying is that Magnus's mind has been absolutely twisted to follow a life-consuming desire for power.
:hero:
User

by Adit » Tue May 03, 2016 4:26 pm

Sorry I have not visited the forums since a long time. I was too busy to visit it.

The truth is I am making my own game. I always check the source codes of other games & try to make my own.

But anyway , I am doing it alone & I need some help. I want to make a big game but everytime when I try to write the javascript code , even one mistake in the code makes me stumble. :( :(

Therefore , I find it very difficult to create this game all my myself. I just wanted to know what is the technique you use to create your games. I mean ; javascript code is too lengthy and even to create a rubbish , third-class game ; I have to put in a lot of efforts. Please also give me some guidance tips so that I can create a big game.

Thanking you ,

Adit.
If you are born poor , it's not your mistake ; but if you die poor , you SUCK. XD.
User

by Oof_Shunt » Tue May 03, 2016 7:27 pm

So Iron Marines summer,,,,,KR4 winter,,,,,Mystery Project X next summer,,,,,can we have any clues about Mystery project X?
User

by magicmetal03 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Tats,how did you coke up with your name,Tats?
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by The_TaTs » Wed May 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Adit wrote:Sorry I have not visited the forums since a long time. I was too busy to visit it.

The truth is I am making my own game. I always check the source codes of other games & try to make my own.

But anyway , I am doing it alone & I need some help. I want to make a big game but everytime when I try to write the javascript code , even one mistake in the code makes me stumble. :( :(

Therefore , I find it very difficult to create this game all my myself. I just wanted to know what is the technique you use to create your games. I mean ; javascript code is too lengthy and even to create a rubbish , third-class game ; I have to put in a lot of efforts. Please also give me some guidance tips so that I can create a big game.

Thanking you ,

Adit.

Hi Adit. The first thing is that if you are trying to make video games but you are just starting, your first game shouldn't be big.
Ironhide's first games weren't the Kingdom Rush Series. We started with a silly South Africa World Cup Trivia game, and then we made Clash of Olympians.

Only then we made the first Kingdom Rush, and the first build was smaller in scope than the final version. No Heroes and only 15 levels. We only added the Heroes after going to the GDC in 2011 and talking with a lot of experienced people.

My point is, if you are a beginner, start small. Learn the ropes. Make sure you are making something than can be finished. A very common error in new game developers is trying to make a big game for their first project. It almost never ends well.

Making games is about planning. Knowing your strengths and your weaknesses. Knowing your team. Knowing your limits (because you HAVE limits... time, money, experience, enthusiasm, energy, focus... all finite resources). So don't bite more than you can chew.

I suggest that you make a specific thread in the Off Topic section if you have specific questions on game development. There are others in this forum that are also taking their first steps in this industry and I'm sure they can also make great contributions to the conversation (in which we will also participate, obviously).

Oof_Shunt wrote:So Iron Marines summer,,,,,KR4 winter,,,,,Mystery Project X next summer,,,,,can we have any clues about Mystery project X?

Nope. You'll have to wait. Maybe a few more months.

magicmetal03 wrote:Tats,how did you coke up with your name,Tats?

Silly story really.
I used to be a potato, and people called me "Tatoe"... once I stopped being a potato, the name stuck but changed a bit to reflect my new condition as a weird looking platypus.

[+] SPOILER
My two elder brothers called me Tata to make fun of me when I was 2-3 years old, and somehow the nickname stuck. So all my friends and family calls me that now.
I have an American friend that instead of calling me Tata calls me "The Tats". So when I'm speaking english I use that version of the name... that's all there is to it really.
User

by Oof_Shunt » Wed May 04, 2016 8:41 pm

is Sha'tra gonna be in Iron Marines?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu May 05, 2016 12:08 am

Does Iron Marines break any records throughout all of your games? (For example, Vez'nan is supposedly "the most evil being you will encounter." Could there be something more evil, or more of some other category in Iron Marines compared to other games?)
BBB

by Juice Box » Thu May 05, 2016 5:27 am

How does it feel to know that in your games, a Wild Magus got it on with an Archdruid twice?
User

by GeminiSparkSP » Thu May 05, 2016 6:43 am

Do you have any headcanons (aside from shipping stuff) that contradict the canon in KR universe?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by Pencil » Thu May 05, 2016 11:17 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Does Iron Marines break any records throughout all of your games? (For example, Vez'nan is supposedly "the most evil being you will encounter." Could there be something more evil, or more of some other category in Iron Marines compared to other games?)

"Most amount of holograms definitely i think"
Ironhide Developer

by spartanq8 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Dear developers,

Can we have the best tower defense game series on windows 10?

I wish i get an answer

Best regards,

Sent from Lumia 950XL
User

by The Kingmaker » Fri May 06, 2016 6:39 am

This may have been asked, but what was Nivus doing during KRO? My gut says training Magnus but my gut has been wrong before.

Was he aware of the Elven conflict?
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by The_TaTs » Fri May 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Oof_Shunt wrote:is Sha'tra gonna be in Iron Marines?

Maybe.

Juice Box wrote:How does it feel to know that in your games, a Wild Magus got it on with an Archdruid twice?

Those two are married, so they probably got it on several times. Just saying. 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

GeminiSparkSP wrote:Do you have any headcanons (aside from shipping stuff) that contradict the canon in KR universe?

Yes. Some of us here like the idea that Magnus is actually Malagar. It was almost done for Frontiers but we couldn't include it in the game. So in the official cannon, Malagar remains a mysterious and deranged mage that wanted to bring back Umbra, and Magnus remains a hero from the first game.

spartanq8 wrote:Dear developers,

Can we have the best tower defense game series on windows 10?

I wish i get an answer

Best regards,

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Sadly, this is currently not in our plans. Even if the software is called Windows 10 for both PC and mobile devices, apps still need to be developed with a mobile mindset. The first three games were coded in such a way, that creating a new port for a new mobile device implies re-coding everything from zero (we've explained this many times).

Making a port is not as simple as say... changing a file extension (like a JPEG to a PNG, or a PPT to a PDF). It's gruelling work that requires a ton of time, effort, and testing.
Even with today's new coding software (like Unity) that makes things easier, it still takes time and there are no guarantees the port will work correctly.

We will try to make our new games compatible with Windows phone... I'm being cautious on promising anything because we still haven't released anything on that platform and can't anticipate wether it will work correctly or not. Sorry for not giving you good news, but I can't make you fake promises and raise your hopes over this.

The Kingmaker wrote:This may have been asked, but what was Nivus doing during KRO? My gut says training Magnus but my gut has been wrong before.

Was he aware of the Elven conflict?

Nivus was in Linirea. Confident that his apprentice Vez'Nan was helping Prince Denas. Remember that Origins happens 30 years before the first Kingdom Rush, so Magnus wasn't even born yet. :ugeek:
User

PreviousNext