Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by GeminiSparkSP » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:04 pm

In the recent hero sale, the theme is mad science. Hacksaw and Wilbur I can understand, but Sha'tra?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by Oof_Shunt » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:26 am

Question #1
What sort of tower defense elements will be in Iron Marines (as opposed to the squad tactics etc)?

Question #2
Have any of you guys read the Book of Lost Tales?
Last edited by Oof_Shunt on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
User

by RZRider » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:50 am

Did you know that karkinos was a giant crab in Greek mythology. Just realized the connection. If it was on purpose it is pretty cool.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by magicmetal03 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:46 am

Do you guys play some other games in your free time?
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by Ook ook » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:32 pm

ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS!!!!
Long live the tats... Oh and pencil!
Ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook
User

by Ninja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Ook ook wrote:ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS!!!!

Patience, he has other work to do. ;)
:hero:
User

by Ook ook » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm

I am an inpatient person ;)
Ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook ook
User

by Ninja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Ook ook wrote:I am an inpatient person ;)

Don't be. Patience is virtue; impatience is not. ;)
:hero:
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Ook Ook, that kind of impolite attitude can get the entire thread closed. If you didn't realise (which judging from your flippant demands you've not read everything in the thread) TaTs isn't just here to answer your questions. He is the voice behind the Ironhide page on Facebook and Twitter, as well as the liaison for the company to other websites. He manages the entire community to which Ironhide is connected, and baring in mind they have a new game in development his time is taken up with a lot of jobs.

I get that you're impatient, that's evident from several of your posts, but you can either ask a question and wait for an answer, or you can be responsible for nobody asking any questions ever again. Choose wisely.
Yes it's me

by Ook ook » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:09 pm

I was joking when I sed "answer our questions" I'm sorry if it sounded rude it was a mistake and I will be a lot more careful next time to put some sort of smiley or something like that the last thing I want is to get this thread closed I'm super sorry this is my favorite thread and I will not make the same mistake again
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Just a tip, it doesn't seem joking if there isn't a smiley, or if it's in all caps.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ook ook » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Just a tip, it doesn't seem joking if there isn't a smiley, or if it's in all caps.

I know as I said next time a will make sure I am very clear that I'm joking sorry
User

by The_TaTs » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Ook ook wrote:Where is the dark army's strong hold?
Are there any other demon lords?
What is the name of the mountain rang that ice wind pass is on?
Where do most of the dwarves live?
Which direction is Niroma from Linirea?
Why do the dwarves build mortars for the Linireans?
Does Denas have any kids?
Does the valoras sea connect with the crystal sea?
Are there any other Linirea strong holds besides hammer hold and there capital?
Is silver oak forest part of Linirea?
Where do the deep devels come from?
Is the kingdom rush world round or flat?
Does the kingdom rush world have a name?
Who picks up the corrupted tear after the KRF campaign?
What is the name of the dwarven kingdom that is attacked by balrogs?

These are some of my lore questions you told us you wanted to answer them rather then telling us all the lore I hope you can answer these. Thanks :D

Jeez... There are a ton of questions. Sorry for the short absence... last week was super intense.

For the lore questions, there's a ton of stuff that we didn't think of. Remember, keeping things open gives us freedom in our next games. We already have a few lore contradictions as it is.

Are there any other demon lords? - Yes.
What is the name of the mountain rang that ice wind pass is on? - Not defined yet.
Where do most of the dwarves live? - In the Dwarven Kingdom, soon to be named. :)
Which direction is Niroma from Linirea?- East. (Funny story, Niroma is an anagram for "Amorin"... Castle Blackburn's main programmer).
Why do the dwarves build mortars for the Linireans? Have you ever fired a mortar in a cave? Linireans live in the open world, so they can make the best use of the mortars.
Does Denas have any kids? - A Daughter. She clearly got her intelligence, no-nonesense attitude and attractiveness from her mothers' side.
Does the valoras sea connect with the crystal sea? We don't have a full world map yet, but they should connect.
Are there any other Linirea strong holds besides hammer hold and there capital? - Several.
Is silver oak forest part of Linirea? - It is.
Where do the deep devels come from? - From the deep.
Is the kingdom rush world round or flat? - It's flat, carried on the back of four giant turtles that stand on the back of a giant elephant that flies through space.
Does the kingdom rush world have a name? - Not yet. It should.
Who picks up the corrupted tear after the KRF campaign? - The truth is that we haven't decided yet. We though it would be funny to put a lovecraftian alienoid thing at the end and that was that.
What is the name of the dwarven kingdom that is attacked by balrogs? - Dwarves Kingdom. Again, we should name it soon.

Ninja wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:
GeminiSparkSP wrote:What is the name of Alleria's pet wildcat?

Bill.

What? Really? I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not; Bill is a bit of an unexpectedly plain name.

The_TaTs wrote:
Ninja wrote:Also, is Grawl a conglomeration of the type of crystal that contained Umbra and some rock?

We never thought of the material that Grawl is made of, but your idea is actually very good.

Well then, is all that crystal in the caves the same kind that makes up the Umbra Prison (new name :yey: )? And another related question: where did Umbra come from and how (and why) was he trapped in the crystal? You said that only the Hammer of Ages could break the diamond, and that's why Malagar needed it to break the Umbra Prison. No one would be able to carve the prison to put Umbra in it if it was truly that tough.

I'm just kidding about the wildcat. Vanzen is currently on vacation so I can't ask him, but there is a chance that it has no name yet. :P

About Umbra's crystal. Maybe the Hammer was used before, a long time ago, before being placed on Hammerhold. Otherwise, how would people know it could break the crystal? Just saying.

GeminiSparkSP wrote:I've always thought Grawl was made/conjured/animated in The Dark Descent level, since it's the only level aside from the final level where you can see the blue crystals.

How did Ashbite end up in KRF? It just hatched during KRO, and it was absent during KR1.

How did Denas and Thor become friends? What sort of misadventure happened between KRO and KR1 that led to such a thing?

This Niroma kingdom mentioned in Rotwick, where is it exactly? Any plans to bring the campaign there?

I remember you saying something about Linirea expanding itself in KRF. Before then, where do Hammerhold and beyond belong to?

How long has Sha'Tra been stranded on the planet? How did he even join the heroes if he can't speak human language?

Just how much do Eridan and Arivan not get along? How hostile are they against each other?

- Could be.
- Ashbite first had to go to Dragon School and Dragon Highschool. Then he went to Dragon College where he got a bachelor's degree in Classical Antarctic Literature... he couldn't land a job with that degree so he decided to go back home to his parents and that's when the Frontiers story begins.
- Who said anything about Thor and Denas being friends. Thor might not even care about puny human kings... he only wants to do battle with demons and big monsters. Huzza!
- Niroma is where your heart is. Not literally obviously, having a medieval monarchic state in your thorax is probably a very serious medical condition.
- Hammerhold and the dessert lands have been on war for many year. It's a land punished by war... Denas taking over is the best thing that happened in ages.
- No one knows when Sha'Tra first arrived, but it can be probably be traced back to when people first started using tinfoil hats on Linirea. Also, Sha'Tra speaks the universal language of "Badass"... it can be understood by other people with similar a mindset.
- Eridan and Arivan are certainly not hostile towards one another. Arivan thinks that he's better than his younger brother, but he still cares for him. Eridan has too much to worry about fighting on the front lines to actually care about what his brother thinks of him.

Ook ook wrote:Does alleria ever go back to her elven kingdom because she is the princess?
Why did alleria stay north in Linirea instead of going back as soon as the elven war was over?
Why did Malik hammerfury go north to Linirea?
Have you started the campaign map for KR4?

- Alleria goes back to her Kingdom after Malicia and Mactans are defeated.
- Alleria stayed north in Linirea as an ambassador and for her own protection, so the royal line is protected.
- Because that's his home. Malik is a fierce warrior that has the favour of Thor.
- Yes, we have started with the campaign map and we have several levels designed... but I can't share more about that for the time being.

Ninja wrote:
GeminiSparkSP wrote:I've always thought Grawl was made/conjured/animated in The Dark Descent level, since it's the only level aside from the final level where you can see the blue crystals.

(I'm not answering anything, just making an observation.)

But how could that be since you can use Grawl in all the levels before the Dark Descent?

Maybe there is a mine somewhere that provided the crystal for both Umbra's prison and Grawl's creation. Or maybe there was enough crystal to spare so after the prison was created the rest was used in making Grawl... or maybe Grawl is not made from the same stuff. Endless possibilities.

Juice Box wrote:
Ninja wrote:But how could that be since you can use Grawl in all the levels before the Dark Descent?

Well, then how come we can use Lynn in all levels before the Last Lieutenant? Or we can use Bonehart before we meet Vasile, and Oni before we meet the Demons? Just because we saw Grawl first doesn't mean he existed first.

Anyways, this is more of a technical question for TaTs, since I've been curious:

Exactly how much extra damage does Lynn's special attack deal when an enemy is cursed? Also, since Lynn has three possible curses she can put on a single enemy at any given time, does that damage increase whenever an enemy is affected by more than one curse at a time?

Like, if Lynn uses both the anti-armor curse and the slow curse on one enemy, does that mean her special attack will deal even more damage than normal?

EDIT: Also, what was the population of the Elves and the Twilight Elves before and after their war? I'm assuming both sides must have sustained immense casualties, especially the Elves, since they basically fought three armies.

Umm... I'll have to check the numbers with Colo, since he's the one that created and balanced Lynn. I'll have to get back to you on this because Colo will probably have to look it up in his files. :P

The Elves were never really a numerous race. But they did manage to evacuate their Capital before the Twilight Elves arrived, so the bulk of the civilian population was saved. Overall, the army losses were massive, specially during the first clashes against the Twilight Elves. Casualties racked up to the thousands for both Elven clans.
War is an ugly affair.

Ook ook wrote:Have you guys ever made a campaign map and then not used it because you made a better one and if so will you post a picture please I love maps?
Have you ever made a level map and then not used it if so please post a picture?
Why is the origins campaign map a different style then the other games?
Which campaign map style will you use for KR4?

- Maps take a long time to make so we don't make them until we are sure they will be used.
- I don't think the style is different for Origins. But because we had twice as many artists than before, we could add more details to it.
- KR4 will retain the cartoonish style that made KR famous, but with better stuff. We have incredibly talented people here.

Ook ook wrote:In these hero sales will there ever be free heroes? please say yes because I don't buy heroes :(

That's not possible, sorry. Google Play doesn't let us put anything free and then change it back to it's original price.

GeminiSparkSP wrote:In the recent hero sale, the theme is mad science. Hacksaw and Wilbur I can understand, but Sha'tra?

Well, all three characters share a bit of a wacky technological theme. I mean, last time I've checked, aliens don't exactly fit into the "Perfectly sane scientific approach to things"... and also... "Mad Science" sounded a lot better than "Characters with a tenuous technological, sci-fi connection".

Oof_Shunt wrote:Question #1
What sort of tower defense elements will be in Iron Marines (as opposed to the squad tactics etc)?

Question #2
Have any of you guys read the Book of Lost Tales?

- During some points of the game, enemies will attack your outposts in waves and you'll most definitely have to focus on defending or you'll lose.

- I don't think so. Is it good?

RZRider wrote:Did you know that karkinos was a giant crab in Greek mythology. Just realized the connection. If it was on purpose it is pretty cool.

- We knew, yes. ^_^

magicmetal03 wrote:Do you guys play some other games in your free time?

Most of us do. Although tastes and preferences vary quite a bit. Some of us are big fans of RPG and strategy games, while others prefer casual indie stuff, and others prefer to play FIFA or Rocket League.
User

by Ook ook » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks for answering our questions :D :D
Is Linirea a lot bigger than the two sections we see in the KRF and KR campaign map?
User

by Oof_Shunt » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
Oof_Shunt wrote:Have any of you guys read the Book of Lost Tales?

- I don't think so. Is it good?

Yea I liked it. It's like the earliest Silmarillion, but in flowery archaic language (which I liked) and before some name/story changes were made. There's a lot of notes at the end of each tale (which was ehh kinda boring) but otherwise I liked it.

Some differences:
-Each tale is told to Eriol (a wayfarer) by someone on Tol Eressea
-The Valar and Maiar are gods/sylphs/sprites/sea-spirits ('sprites of Lorien' etc)
-There is a Feanor but no Feanor/Fingolfin/Finarfin stuff
-The Vanyar/Noldor/Teleri = Teleri/Noldoli/Solosimpi
-Everything is in flowery archaic language and described with more detail
-Instead of Sauron there is the evil wizard/fay Tu
-Instead of Sauron there is Tevildo Prince of Cats (a 'monstrous cat inhabited by a fiend')(Tevildo vs Huan)
-Beren is a gnome/Noldo-elf instead of a man
-Full tale of Tuor and Gondolin

Like I said there's a lot of notes/commentary, but I really liked it. But everything considered I think I prefer the Silmarillion,,,,,the Silmarillion is complete and continuous and explains everything neatly,,,,,plus I like the finwe family drama and the mingling with mankind and the Earendil story and onwards is more developed,,,,,plus it ties everything together well (Elder Days/Hobbit/LOTR) plus other stuff idk
Last edited by Oof_Shunt on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Grand Overlord TaTs wrote:- Alleria goes back to her Kingdom after Malicia and Mactans are defeated.
- Alleria stayed north in Linirea as an ambassador and for her own protection, so the royal line is protected.

Doesn't this contradict itself?

Also, so, the Dwarven Kingdom is tenuously confirmed as at least a part of KR4.
Did you purposely mix up turtles and elephants?

At some point, could you ask around for the exact firing times for each tower? It's something I've wanted to know for a while. (I'm sure it's in the code somewhere)
Also, about how many lines go into a single tower?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:57 am

I know the extra damage that Lynn deals to cursed enemies. If we were allowed to answer questions, I could tell JB for you instead of you having to go ask Colo. ;) Actually, can't it just be discovered by playing the game? I'm more confused by the nature of the question. :?

Have you ever watched or hears about any TED Talks, Tats? They give lots of insight to many things, including video games, which could benefit any future games you guys make (in a far better way than Extra Credits ;) ) as well as the current projects, possibly.
BBB

by Ook ook » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Are there other dwarven kingdoms besides the one in KRO?
In KRF thay mention the lost kingdom of loria is that the same kingdom as the one in KRO?
Do the sylvan elves have a strong hold somewhere?
User

by Oof_Shunt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 pm

T-shirts?
User

by GeminiSparkSP » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:33 pm

The_TaTs wrote:- Eridan and Arivan are certainly not hostile towards one another. Arivan thinks that he's better than his younger brother, but he still cares for him. Eridan has too much to worry about fighting on the front lines to actually care about what his brother thinks of him.

Hmm, so it's less like Dante and Vergil, and more like Sasuke and Itachi pre-massacre. Now that I mentioned it, I can picture Arivan flicking Eridan's forehead, saying "Foolish little brother".

Do you often visit the Fan Fiction forum for ideas?

Any of you guys hyped for Civil War?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

PreviousNext