Kingdom Rush development questions!

For the King!

Re: Kingdom Rush development questions!

by Epicazeroth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:11 pm

kilele wrote:Does KR make use of some kind of artificial intelligence ?
Does the game release waves based on how towers are arranged ?

Im pretty sure It doesnt. The waves are always the same. You should make towers Based on the waves not vice versa
Image Image
So cute. And lonely :cry: Please visit him. And my other dragons while you're at it. Ok he's actually kinda creepy, but I promise the other one is cuter!
User

by Giangreymon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am

IF you want to upload avatar try to use JPEG
http://shadowscythe.minitroopers.com *pls visit and create an army in the link*
Image Image
*Eat without seasoning! if you do nuht follow mah order!* -daz hou evil cookie crumbles- >:D
User

by danray » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:52 am

Barrotes wrote:I think they are speaking English...not sure...

It's still English, just not in layman's terms.
User

by Flashawy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm

some questions from me .. i don't mind very short answers :)

- i see you use InteractivePNG .. isn't bitmap collision testing is CPU extensive ? do you use different types of collision testing ?
- do you us graphic layers that you add elements to it .. for example .. all text effects like "POW" .. ect to be added on a layer .. blood added to another layer .. and so on .. or every element has it is own effects added to its container ?

- oop question .. who controls the movement of an enemy .. the enemy class it self .. or something like enemiesManager class that control the movement of multiple enemies ?

- do you use ENTER_FRAME or a TIMER for the game loop ?
- is the graphics completely separated from the logic .. is there any classes that extends MovieClip that have logic on them beside graphics ?
- do you have any coding in the timeline ?

- how much time did it take you from starting to first release ?
- have you abandoned any features that you wanted to add to the game due to technical issues ?
- is the game as it is now is what you have imagined before working on it ?
- what was the most challenging part of the game ?

thank you very much .. i have been overwhelmed by your work and attention do details ( both code & graphic wise ) .
User

by dimumurray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Flashawy wrote:some questions from me ..

Ahh...A fellow game dev enthusiast :D. I have been picking the brains of the devs for months so I can probably help you with some of those questions.

• First off the devs stated that the game took around 8 months to develop(excluding premium content).
  • This is just speculation, but I think its fair to guess that the enemies are being driven by some manager. Consider that the enemies follow a path, however they switch to attack mode once they encounter a barrack unit at any point on the path. That suggests some kind of state machine where transitions from one state to the next is overseen by a 'manager' class.
  • I don't believe there is any code on the timeline, the devs scoff at such things ;). Also consider that they use FlashDevelop to write the code for the game. FlashDevelop cannot inject code into the timeline; you have to use classes.
  • There have been a few instances where fans have found references to elements in early promotional screenshots that did not end up in the final release. The devs have stated that they have an open approach to development where design, code and art are constantly undergoing change throughout the course of development. Some things are bound to end up on the editing floor as a result. This is probably true for all game development.
User

by lito88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 am

Flashawy wrote:some questions from me .. i don't mind very short answers :)

- i see you use InteractivePNG .. isn't bitmap collision testing is CPU extensive ? do you use different types of collision testing ?
- do you us graphic layers that you add elements to it .. for example .. all text effects like "POW" .. ect to be added on a layer .. blood added to another layer .. and so on .. or every element has it is own effects added to its container ?

- oop question .. who controls the movement of an enemy .. the enemy class it self .. or something like enemiesManager class that control the movement of multiple enemies ?

- do you use ENTER_FRAME or a TIMER for the game loop ?
- is the graphics completely separated from the logic .. is there any classes that extends MovieClip that have logic on them beside graphics ?
- do you have any coding in the timeline ?

- how much time did it take you from starting to first release ?
- have you abandoned any features that you wanted to add to the game due to technical issues ?
- is the game as it is now is what you have imagined before working on it ?
- what was the most challenging part of the game ?

thank you very much .. i have been overwhelmed by your work and attention do details ( both code & graphic wise ) .

- We use multiples ways of collision detections, it depends on the situation. We use interactive png class to some mouse over, click detections only.
- We use multiples layers.
- the enemy class control itself.
- we do not code on the timeline.
- 9 months, 5 full time.
- mmmm, don't remember if we abandoned a feature because of technical issue, I'm sure that we did that because of game design changes.
- It's hard to imagine a game, but I think kr it's pretty close or maybe better than we though it will be.
- keep focus, because it was a very big project, for me the most challenging part was the port to iPad. Because I was forced to learn objective c to port this little beast to the iPads in 4 months only.
Ironhide Developer

by Flashawy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 am

WOW .. you learned Objective C and ported kingdom Rush in 4 months !! .. is this even possible ?! :shock:
User

by dimumurray » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:54 am

lito88 wrote:- the enemy class control itself.

Really? That class must be massive or at least has a lot of subclasses...

lito88 wrote:- keep focus, because it was a very big project, for me the most challenging part was the port to iPad. Because I was forced to learn objective c to port this little beast to the iPads in 4 months only.

Wow. Kudos on accomplishing that feat. In your experience how similar is objective C to other more mainstream languages like C/C++ or Java?
User

by lito88 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 pm

It's not a hard language to learn, some sintaxis are different from what you are use to see on java, c++.

When you code in objective c, mostly of the code you write are C, so it's very similar, of course all the OOP are the new part, defining classes, methods, etc are new.
Ironhide Developer

by Flashawy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm

@Lito88 ..
- have you used any framework for the port .. sparrow-framework for example ?
- Do you believe in HTML5 Games ? :)
User

by Finwer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:35 pm

what are all the ipad changes , why you did this changes?
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

Previous