Suggestions

For the King!

Suggestions

by Dartmor » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:44 am

I don't know if someone could make a good suggestion about Kingdom Rush, because it is just so awesome that i don't have anything to add as game-designer. Art can't be better, really. Balance is good. I will just make some suggestions, but i am sure you will not find anything new, it's logic.

Second part of Kingdom Rush, i suppose, will add another campaign with much more levels, and maybe non-stop mode. We will see, maybe, some one new type of tower (i guess it will be magic area damage), some one/two new spells, and i think that's all it needs.

I propose to make some fun stuff. For example, in "Plants vs Zombies" we can play as zombies in special mode instead of playing Plants :)

I want to tell about gameplay mechanic. It is supposed, that we will build different towers for different enemies. Magic towers versus good physical armor, area damage versus big number of light enemies. But we don't get any information about what kind of enemies we will face in each level, and we can't build good tactic from the beginning, we have to play 1-2 games before it minimum(!). So it would be better, really, to give maybe not full information, but a clue, like "In this level you will meet a lot of spiders from north with their matriarchs, and from south you will be sieged by dark knight forces, but beware wolves can attack you from all sides suddenly". Using this clue i will know, that i have to build, maybe, area damage in north, magic towers in south, 2-3 barracks in last one line to defend it from wolves who can escape melee attacks, and archers near.

Another thing. I guess "towers" - "enemies" should be logic, but i don't see straight logic in special abilities of different towers. For example, i know, that magic towers are useful against dark knights, but no one told me that it is better to build 3-4 magic towers instead of upgrading one ( i got it only in the middle of the game ). And special abilities of rangers, for example. Poison is useful - is it? When? Against who? I think it's better to build magic towers against dark knights, instead of upgrading poison skills of rangers, so when i have to use it? I see, that air traps of barbarians are very useful against rocket men, it's logic, and i will build it(but i don't know if i will meet rocket men or not when i play first time new level). Throwing axes could be useful against dark archers and trolls who throw axes too. But not all high skills are so logic in use :)

And muskets has nice skill too - headshot. But they use it against low hp enemies, instead of using it versus demon lord, for example! That maked me angry :) Same for magic towers with their dragon slave skill.

Now some crazy suggestions :P

I propose to make some new kind of enemies(to create new tactics) and 3 different upgrades for each tower instead of two with one passive skill, one-two upgrades + one activation skill that can be upgraded too, because it will be better in my opinion.

Barracks should be upgraded to:
1. Barbarians. Four units. Passive - throwing axes (against champion trolls and dark archers). Upgrades: air traps ( against rocket men), blood rage ( % vampirism from attacks, useful to keep them alive longer against not very strong waves). Activation skill - Savage ( can make enemy pets joining your side. Wolves, for example. They stay near barbarians, if there is no enemies. Max - 4 wolves, each for one barbarian. It can be useful as making barbarians stronger using wolves waves or even as tactic advantage against huge wolves waves when player don't have enough resources to kill all them).
2. Paladins. Holy light - an additional skill that can give paladins more survability, holy strike - a special skill that can be used as a remplace for area damage towers. Activation skill - holy shield, that make paladins immortal for short period, in this state paladins can support enormous wave short time.
3. Knights. Upgrades: Hero Spear -

Magic tower:
1. Sorcerer. Passive - golem ( compare to barbarians/paladins/knights, golem is useful against big enemies, such as Yeti, Magma Golem and etc. )
2. Arcane wizard. Passive - teleport. Activation skill - Death Ray ( damage target for % of his max health , very useful against very fat enemies, such as Yeti, Magma Golem ).
3. Destruction Tower. Magic area damage.

Tip: Arcane Wizard's Death Ray is useful against VERY fat enemies, and bosses, while Musketeer's Headshot is useful only against enemies with hit points lower certain definition. So, using Headshot on Yeti or in Boss will be possible only when it's HP will be low. Using Death Ray against Demon Lord will not give good bonus, because Death Ray's damage depends on target's max HP, so Death Ray targets should have enormous max hp.

Archers tower:
1. Rangers. Passive - Wrath of the Forest ( against fast enemies ). I don't see any reason of Poison skill to be in game, in state he is. It should give some boost damage against one enemy and/or against armored enemies. Activation skill - Mark ( all archers who will hit that enemy will have damage bonus effect ).
2. Musketmen. Activation skill - Headshot ( kill enemy if he has hit points lower determined definition. Useful against fat enemies, such as demon lord or armored enemies with good hp, because it ignores armor ).
3. Long Ranged.

Bombard tower:
1. Big Bertha ( specialization in normal hp enemies without physical armor )
2. Tesla ( specialization in big number of low hp enemies + also enemies with high movement speed + flying enemies )
3. Shredder. Passive - lower physical armor of enemies with each hit.
or
Tactic Platform. Range - all level. Hit the place with max number of enemies.

New enemies. We have armored enemies, flying enemies, enemies escaping melee attacks, resisting magic damage enemies, fat enemies.
Magic Archers - as Dark Archers, but they deal magic damage, that makes them awesome against Paladins with physical armor. Can be counter by Barbarians with their passive skill of throwing axes.

Ok, i could write a lot more new enemies, but i think that wall of text is just enough.

Also, i propose to make new mode - tactic mode. In this mode, player will have different levels to complete, where he will have some towers denied. For example, in level one he has flying enemies, but his archer tower will be denied, so he will have to use reinforcments with spear skill, but it will be not enough, and he will use Tesla tower for it's ability to hit flying enemies. Different levels with different towers denied, to create exotic situations and make player guess himself some new tactic/strategy. Second level, player can have barracks denied and a lot of wolves as enemies, and Tesla tower can help here too because it hits enemies instantly and also because wolves has low hp. I am sure i will love that mode.

P.S.

If you will use some of my thoughts, ideas or suggestions ( doubt it ) i request a presentation image of holy paladin like you have images ( dark mage, dark archer and dark knight), because i really love it. :D

I doubt if it will be useful for you, Ironhide team, but that just shows how i like your game :)
User

Re: Suggestions

by Vanzen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Hey Dartmor, i agree with your concerns. We tried several prototypes to show what kind of enemies you will face in the stage and along which paths, but all ended up being too complex, didn't convey the idea correctly or just didn't add to the game. So we decided to keep it simple and try to hint at the general type of enemies you will face with what we send early, still saving a few surprises like a wolf swarm or an early gargoyle wave. I know it would be great to know before hand like in PvZ what you will face, we will check it again for the expansion and see if we can come up with something good.

About tower powers, i agree too, we don't really tell you or hint you how to use them. We think it is fun to experiment so we decided to let players experiment and learn what works for them and what doesn't.

:)

Your suggestions are great, but we won't change the current upgrades on the towers for the expansion. Loved the one about Barbarians and wolves :)
Ironhide Developer

Re: Suggestions

by Epicazeroth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Dartmor wrote:I want to tell about gameplay mechanic. It is supposed, that we will build different towers for different enemies. Magic towers versus good physical armor, area damage versus big number of light enemies. But we don't get any information about what kind of enemies we will face in each level, and we can't build good tactic from the beginning, we have to play 1-2 games before it minimum(!). So it would be better, really, to give maybe not full information, but a clue, like "In this level you will meet a lot of spiders from north with their matriarchs, and from south you will be sieged by dark knight forces, but beware wolves can attack you from all sides suddenly". Using this clue i will know, that i have to build, maybe, area damage in north, magic towers in south, 2-3 barracks in last one line to defend it from wolves who can escape melee attacks, and archers near.

You can usually tell from the first wave what the waves from that direction will be, if you mouse over the wave summon icon.
Image Image
So cute. And lonely :cry: Please visit him. And my other dragons while you're at it. Ok he's actually kinda creepy, but I promise the other one is cuter!
User