Aeris' KR Civ-type game thing

For the King!

Aeris' KR Civ-type game thing

by AerisDraco » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:04 pm

I guess this'll go here for now.

Welcome to my new game/attempt to revitalize the forums!

The game will play like Civilization, with the goal being to settle and conquer the land, beating those in your way (i.e. other forumers). Most rules have been simplified, with combat being the main focus. Each person will choose a preset faction to play as, choosing a formal name and colors if wanted. Each faction has unique units, as well as a unique mini-tech tree.

The Maps

Unit map
City map

The core of the game, outside of combat, is settling cities on the tiles of the map. Based on the terrain it is settled on, a city gains bonuses:
-Grassland: +1 Supply for units
-Hills: Engineers are immediately built in this city.
-Jungle: +0.2 Tech Points a turn
-Lake: Free Trader in this city.
-Forest: Builders are immediately built in this city.
-Desert: Cannot be settled on.
-Mountain: Cannot be passed or settled on.

Units

As for units, there are 4 types of combatant units, and 4 noncombatant units. Each faction has a unique combatant unit for each type.
The combatant units deal more damage against another type in a rock-paper-scissors style format.
The types are Melee, Archer, Mage, and Siege.
Melee is effective against Mage, Archer against Melee, and Mage against Archer.
Meanwhile, Siege takes add. damage from all three of the other types, but has a hefty bonus versus cities, which are otherwise difficult to take down.

The noncombat units are:
-Colonist: Settles a city on a tile. Must be at least 2 tiles away from another city. Represented by a Flag.
-Builder: Can be expended to create a road between two cities. A road doubles the movement of any friendly unit on it. Must be between the cities in question. Represented by a Shovel.
-Engineer: Can be expended to create a fort on a tile. Grants +2 defensive strength to any friendly unit on a tile. Represented by a Hammer.
-Trader: Founds a trade route between two cities. Grants +0.4 Tech Points to you and +0.2 to your ally. Factions must not be at war, and there cannot be more than 10 tiles between the two cities. A line will be drawn on the map between the locations. If not in a city with a possible route, may be moved at the cost of one turn to a city with one. There cannot be more than one trade route per trade partner between two cities. (I.e. I try to establish a trade route from my first city to Ninja's first, for ex. Ninja can send a trader from his city to mine, but I cannot send another from my first city to his first.) [Does not count for Supply]

All units share a supply cap, which is determined by the number of cities you have. The first city you settle also has +1 supply. (+1 supply for a city if founded on grassland)

To create units, you must wait to make them in a particular city. Each unit type has a turn cost:
Melee, Archer, Wizard: 1 turn
Builder, Engineer, Siege: 2 turns
Colonist, Trader: 3 turns

On the map, units will be shown as follows:
1. The center icon indicates the unit type, while the colors indicate the faction.
2. The green bars indicate health. Lost health will be gray.
3. If a unit is stopped or otherwise affected by a condition, the outside circle color will change. Red indicates unable to attack, yellow is unable to move, and blue will indicate other effects.

Combat is based on the combat strength differential of the units in combat. In addition, these may be modified by certain abilities. Luckily, you don't have to calculate this. I've made a calculator, accessible from aerisdraco.github.io.
It's a bit picky with what it accepts, and if there are any QOL changes to make, tell me and I'll try to add them at the soonest convenience. This spoiler lists what the thing accepts:
[+] SPOILER
Factions:
-Mountain Men; Mountain; mountain
-Dark Forces; DF; Vez'nan
-Desert Warriors; Desert, desert
-Jungle Savages; Jungle, jungle
-Dwarves, dwarves, dorf
-Forest Creatures, forest, Fae
-Twilight Elves, Twilight, twilight
Units:
-Melee; melee
-Archer; archer
-Mage, mage
-Siege, siege
-City, city

Remember that these have to be exact copies.

I guess on to the factions now.

Factions

There are 3 factions from each game:
[+] SPOILER
Linirea
Units: Paladin, Ranger, Arcane Wiz, Catapult
Passive: Royal Edict: Cities in Grassland grant +1 more supply then usual. Paladins are made immediately.

Mountain Men (Claimed)
Units: Barbarian, Musketeer, Sorcerer, Sasquatch
Passive: Mountain Crossers: Can cross mountains, +1 defense

Dark Forces
Units: Dark Knight, Shadow Archer, Necromancer, Lava Elemental
Passive: Dark Pact: Units gain +1 CS vs. their effective enemy type

Desert Warriors
Units: Assassin, Crossbow Fury, Archmage, Genie
Passive: Sandstorm: +1 move in Desert, can settle in Desert for +1 supply

Jungle Savages
Units: Savage Warrior, Axethrower, Shaman, Gorillon
Passive: Sacrifice: Get +0.4 TP for each kill

Dwarf
Units: Defender, Sniper, Tesla Gunner, Battle Mech
Passive: Dwarven Mechanics: Get a free Mech every 2 cities

Aredhel Elves
Units: Bladesinger, Arcane Archer, High Elven Mage, Bastion
Passive: Elven Glory: +2 defensive CS for Cities, +1 offensive CS in forts

Forest Creatures
Units: Forest Keeper, Awok, Gnome, Arch-Druid
Passive: Nature's Wrath: +1 CS and move in Forest and Jungle

Twilight Elves
Units: Avenger, Harasser, Evoker, Brute
Passive: Vindicator: +2 CS after a kill for 2 turns

In addition, there are (small) Tech Trees for each faction. Researching through this tech tree grants additional power to your units.
Technology is researched through a tech point system, where a certain amount of points is needed for each new Technology. Each city you own passively generates +0.2 per turn, more if you have a Trade Route or founded on Jungle.

After choosing a faction, you can also choose their colors (as long as its within reason, i.e. no pink for the dark forces). Preferably, tell me in RGB values.

As seen, there are specific units for each faction, and options to upgrade, which'll be stored here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Note that I'm not adverse to buffing or nerfing certain abilities if they're too weak or strong.

Starting the Game
After the initial pick and stuff, you'll choose a settling location on the coast. You'll be provided with a city there, as well as a free Melee unit and Colonist at that location.

Turns
During the turn, you can move units, attack, produce new units, and declare war.
Turns will be 48 hours/2 days long.
Current Turn end: 10/14

Acronyms and Explanations
-TP: Tech Points
-CS: Combat Strength
-OS/DS: Offensive/Defensive Strength

Other Stuff
-Range is important. Only the Archer and Wizard are ranged by default, but this reduces the retribution damage they take from attacks by half.
-All units move two while on the ocean, but they may not attack. Amphibious attacks are allowed, however. Embarking ends the unit's move.
-There can not be more than one combat unit on a tile, and there can also not be more than one noncombat unit on a tile. However, there may be one combat and noncombat unit on a tile.
-To calculate who goes first, the turn actions will be randomized and then done. If it a unit has +1 move, it automatically moves first.
-Units stacked in a city take 1/2 the damage taken by the city if the city is attacked; and are automatically destroyed if the city is captured.
-No declaring peace treaties through PM!
-Defenders have a slight penalty to their retribution damage, so take that into account.
-Only one unit can be produced in a single city at a time.

Contenders
Name: Aeris
Faction: Dwarves
Cities: 10
Tech Points/Turn: 6 (2.6)
Techs: Wolfram Armor, Supercharge, Imp. Ordnance, Focus Fire, Chain Lightning, Smart Targeting, Overcharge, Mithril Armor, Waste Disposal, Mithril Hammers, Dwarfweiser, Shock and Awe
Units/Supply: 16/16
Trade Routes: To Duo x3; To K'urk; To Unseelie x2, To Nexus; To Saselea
Producing: Defender [Wasp, s-blocked] (1 turn)

Name: Ninja
Faction: Dark Forces
Cities: 9
Tech Points/Turn: 4 (11.2)
Techs: Eagle Eye, Opportunist, Summon Skeleton, Eldritch Power, Shadow Sneak, Granite Armor, Fire Breath, Strafe
Units/Supply: 12(14)/15
Trade Routes: To Quinque x3, To Quattuor
Producing: Colonist [Cankerhold] (1 turn); Colonist [Bonesburg] (2 turns)

Name: Kingmaker
Faction: Twilight Elves
Cities: 4
Tech Points/Turn: 1.4 (7)
Techs: Blade Mail, Offensive Stance, Silencing Curse, Dark Blades, Cleaving Hooks
Units/Supply: 7/8
Trade Routes: Unsent in Unseelie
Producing: Colonist [Nexus] (2 turns)

Name: Sir Toddalot
Faction: Desert Warriors
Cities: 7
Tech Points/Turn: 4.8 (10.4)
Techs: Pickpocket, Accuracy, Monastic Discipline, Counterattack, Sneak Attack, Stealth, Falconer, Stored Bolts, Overpower, Magical Fists
Units/Supply: 6(7)/9
Trade Routes: To Mirotehn; To Sava; To Eidolo; To Makom x2;
Producing: Colonist [C7] (3 turns)

Name: PitNata
Faction: Jungle Savages
Cities: 3
Tech Points/Turn: 1 (8.8)
Techs: Poisoned Blade, Jungle Hunter, Twin Throw
Units/Supply: 6/6
Trade Routes: None
Producing:

Wars and Alliances
Non-aggression Pact: Toddalot & Aeris (7 turns)
Non-aggression Pact: Toddalot & Ninja (9 turns)
War: Ninja v PitNata
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

Re: Aeris' KR Civ-type game thing

by Ninja » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:14 pm

You seem to have put a lot of effort into this; I'm in. Dark Forces FTW! :hero: :veznan:
:hero:
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Yey!

I believe I'll be choosing the Dorfs.

Any color suggestions, Ninja?

...also why is the map fully visible in the topic review menu?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ninja » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Colors? Nah. I'll stick with the classic intimidating blackish-brown of the evil forces. :skull:

I think the full editor has longer lines; the same thing happens in PMs.
Last edited by Ninja on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

by The Kingmaker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Twilight Elves in purple pleeeease

I'll have no idea whats going on lol

How is it decided which Island we spawn on? Why are all the other islands besides the main one too tiny to do anything with? How do we move across oceans?

Theres also not enough desert or mountains n stuff to make Desert people and Mountaineers properly useful, especially with the latter being unable to build on their homeland

And units take revenge damage when they attack, ok. Do ranged units take revenge damage from melee? Because that'd be dumb. Also do the different ranged units have different ranges? Awoks can't throw as far as Golden Longbow
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by AerisDraco » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Ok. :)

Hmm. I kinda just planned for people to be able to settle on anything. I will likely be expanding the map to the southwest eventually.
I could buff the Desert People perhaps. But the mountaineers on the other hand... well first, they can't settle on mountain because it can make cities immune to attack. And they also get a defensive bonus, so I think it's fine.
I was planning for range to get revenge from melee, but it's fine if it doesn't. As for the range itself, all ranged units start with base 1 range. Some have +1 range upgrades (Musketeer, Crossbow, High Elf) and some non-ranged units can gain a ranged attack.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Sir Toddalot » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:56 pm

I can be the desert warriors. I havn't been active for a while and its nice to see a cool attempt to revive the forums.
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

-The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
User

by nova_n » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:31 pm

Color suggestions:

Forest:
Wintermen:
Dark army:
Desert insurgents:
Jungle savages:
Dwarfmen:
Elves:
Forest creatures:
Twighlight elves
Last edited by nova_n on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM THE VIC VIPER
User

by AerisDraco » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:31 pm

I've decided to expand the map a bit, so now we have more desert/mountains.

In addition, here are some temporary colors:

Should be obvious which is which. PM if you want to change it.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by AerisDraco » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 pm

I've decided to move on to the next phase, choosing a first city. Simply choose a location and I'll add it to the map (likely in the afternoon tomorrow). As you can see, I've taken a tile to the southwest.

Side note, please don't settle too close to one another.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by The Kingmaker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:49 pm

The Hilly patch, 3 rows down from the top, seven from the left (bordered by 5 Hills and one grassland on its left)
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Sir Toddalot » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Third row from the bottom, 16 over on the hill surrounded by desert and water.
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

-The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
User

by Ninja » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:40 am

Hmmm ... I choose to be located on the island to the right of Toddalot's. My city will be on the grassland tile just above the hills in the middle of the isle.
User

by Ninja » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

(Apologies in advance for the double post)

Wait, Aeris. The whole RPS setup for effective enemy types thing makes sense from a balance perspective, but what about from a logical perspective? What I mean is: it's all very nice that Archers are effective versus Melee, but shouldn't some Melee units have armor to protect them physically (i.e.: Paladins, Dark Knights, etc.)? The fact that that isn't the case just feels wrong.
User

by PitNata » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 pm

I choose Dark Forces faction. Can it be possible to have more than one same faction? Ninja took it, so do I.

I'll start on the middle island, 2 tiles away from the east Lake, under the patch of Hills.

Does this game have different Victory Conditions, than just eradicating everyone with troops? Suggest, Control over Most Land Condition?
I'm modding Kingdom Rush. :geek:
User

by AerisDraco » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:31 pm

It would be preferable if you chose a different faction.

As for victory conditions, for now the "Domination" victory is standard, though I suppose a "Capture 50% of the land" or something like that could work, though it'd just be a lesser domination victory.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ninja » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:49 pm

The Dark Forces demand that total domination of all the realm be the only victory achievable! The blood of your hopeless empires will flood the sea and ground, and all will be stained with the incarnadine signature of obliteration! You, your wives, and your children will all be eviscerated in glorious (or rather, inglorious) combat.

:P
User

by PitNata » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:16 am

AerisDraco wrote:It would be preferable if you chose a different faction.

Alright, I'm choosing Jungle Savages, instead of Dark Forces.

If the only victory condition is "Domination" one, then being in peace does not help anyway, since you've got to fight every faction, plus no being allied with someone. Faster, the Better I suppose.
I'm modding Kingdom Rush. :geek:
User

by nova_n » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:40 pm

I TAKE MOUNTAIN MEN
I AM THE VIC VIPER
User

by Ninja » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 pm

PitNata wrote:If the only victory condition is "Domination" one, then being in peace does not help anyway, since you've got to fight every faction, plus no being allied with someone. Faster, the Better I suppose.

That's like saying diplomacy in RISK (the board game) is pointless. It isn't pointless because everyone is conniving, tricking, allying, and trying to keep the balance of power intact until it's their time to strike. Diplomacy in games like this are all about keeping the "peace" and the balance of power until it's your time. If you get too strong too fast, people will want to eliminate you. Too weak, and you'll be an easy target.
User

Next