BOSS STAGE ELIMINATION GAME (closed)

For the King!

BOSS STAGE ELIMINATION GAME (closed)

by Uranato » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:41 am

This is a sort of forum revival. Let's get this going to make this deserted place inhabited again.

To start off the forum revival, here is an interesting elimination game which deals with boss stages (examples being Emberspike Depths and the Sunken Citadel). This game deals with the whole stage, not just the boss / earlier waves.

To those new to elimination games, here are the basic rules (those acquainted with it skip this paragraph) - each day you can vote for one candidate in the list. That vote gives it (+1) point. You also have to vote against one candidate, giving it (-2) points. Voting both for and against the same stage is not allowed. The last stage standing wins. For more specific details, see the rules section.

RULES

1) You can vote once each day, but there's not a 24-hour timer between votes. You gain one vote starting at GMT 00:01 (time in 24-hour format). You can then vote for one and against one stage. You lose your vote on GMT 23:59 of the same day (24-hour format time), and then get a new vote on GMT 00:01 of the next day. This system is in place so that you are not forced to vote at the same time every day. This does mean though that if you don't vote one day, that vote is lost. You can't "save" votes.

(the other two are mainly guidelines and pointers)

2) The voting parameters are thus - the boss stages are competing based on how enjoyable the whole stage is. This of course factors in things such as difficulty, gameplay, stage enemies, scenery, aesthetics (art, animation and stage design included), Easter Eggs, the boss fight itself secondary towers and heroes even flavor texts (such as the level / enemy description or the main towers in that game to some extent.

3) Since this game is therefore highly subjective (there can only be opinions; no "correct answers"), it is highly recommended that you include the reason for your vote. Revenge votes and stuff like that is allowed, just don't let it get too much in the way of the main competition - how fun the stage is for you.

4) The game is now closed to all those who haven't posted at least 10 votes by 10th December, 2020. In effect, this prevents voting blocs which one of the contestants is potentially scheming.

Here's the original list. What you have to do is copy the previous person's post and then make changes, as described in the first comment which is mine. Voting in a row is allowed, if you have an unused vote and no person has posted after your previous vote. The boss stages are from all four Kingdom Rush games are there, including main campaigns. They all start off at 10 points each. Endless stages are not counted.

The Citadel
Stormcloud Temple
The Dark Tower
Ruins of Acaroth
Rotten Forest
Bandit's Lair
Ha'Kraj Plateau
Pandaemonium
Castle Blackburn
Nazeru's Gates
Temple of Saqra
Emberspike Depths
The Sunken Citadel
Dusk Chateau
Darklight Depths
Gryphon Point
The Unseelie Court
Shrine of Elynie
Beheader's Seat
Duredhel Outskirts
Tainted Pit
Bolgur's Throne
Pond of the Sage

Graveyard :skull: Eliminator:
23. ...
24. Fungal Forest :skull: Ninja
25. Denas's Castle :skull: EpicPhantom999
26. The Ancient Ghosts :skull: EpicPhantom999
27. Jokull's Nest :skull: Uranato
28. Sarelgaz's Lair :skull: Ninja
29. The Frozen Throne :skull: EpicPhantom999

This will be an epic fight. May the best stage win. Apologies in advance for any typing errors, or anything I might've missed / not clarified. Discussions are also allowed in the comments, aside from votes.

Edit: Missed Darklight Depths (atrocious error). Updated, 29 stages now.
Last edited by Uranato on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:02 am, edited 24 times in total.
User

Re: BOSS STAGE ELIMINATION GAME

by Uranato » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:47 am

This is both my vote and a sort of "tutorial" for those new to elimination games.

The Citadel: 10
Stormcloud Temple: 10
The Dark Tower: 10
Sarelgaz's Lair: 10
Ruins of Acaroth: 10
Rotten Forest: 10
Fungal Forest: 10
Bandit's Lair: 10
Ha'Kraj Plateau: 10
Pandaemonium: 10
Castle Blackburn: 10
Nazeru's Gates: 10
Temple of Saqra: 10
Emberspike Depths: 10
The Sunken Citadel: 11 (+1) - It was a hard choice as my first vote, but I figured I had to give it to the Sunken Citadel. One of the finest stages from some of the finest content from Ironhide. Everything in Rising Tides was epic, and even though Leviathan didn't live up to the power of its minions, he atleast had good art and didn't lack on the epic feel due to his size and general "big sea monster" look.
Dusk Chateau: 10
Darklight Depths: 10 - Edit; missed this earlier.
Gryphon Point: 10
The Unseelie Court: 10
Shrine of Elynie: 10
Beheader's Seat: 10
Duredhel Outskirts: 10
Tainted Pit: 10
Bolgur's Throne: 10
Jokull's Nest: 10
Denas's Castle: 10
Pond of the Sage: 10
The Frozen Throne: 8 (-2) - The stage wasn't interesting, and the boss fight was pretty lackluster. So many old enemies were used that it didn't feel unique (I feel the same way for the whole mini-campaign). Winter Lords and the other new enemies were cool and interesting, but they failed to save Frozen Nightmare on their own. The Winter Queen didn't help at all. I liked Bolgur better.
The Ancient Ghosts: 10

Good luck to your favorite boss stages. Everyone starts with one vote which you'll lose on GMT (Greenwich Median Time) 23:59 today (29th November 2020) as per the rules.
Last edited by Uranato on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:10 am

Sarelgaz's Lair: 10
The Sunken Citadel: 11- The level is good but I hate the boss for the same reasons everyone else hates it.
Duredhel Outskirts: 11 (+1) The level itself looks cool. The boss is my favorite in the series, riding a centipede, regeneration, dark rain, etc. You can't let him keep moving or more enemies will spawn. Plus the level introduces Avengers riding Stag Beetles, which are pretty cool units.
Bolgur's Throne: 10
The Frozen Throne: 6 (-2)- I agree with Uranato. I also dislike their whole "using new enemies" thing. I just wanted to fight Elora. The stage itself is pretty boring too. It doesn't introduce any new enemies and isn't challenging. Even the smallest stuff, like the Yeti chasing the troll, makes me dislike this level. I don't want to tap the yeti, and it keeps coming up and is very distracting.
User

by Ninja » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Sarelgaz’s Lair: 8 (-2) - It’s a boring level with no new enemies except Sons of Sarelgaz, which are just OP spiders. The boss is uninspired and lazy. The winter theme is done better in other levels.
The Sunken Citadel: 11
Duredhel Outskirts: 11
Bolgur’s Throne: 11 (+1) - The level is pretty easy, but that’s standard fare for the first boss of a KR game. I just really like the layout and overall aesthetic. Also, dwarf king in a robot super suit! Now that’s just cool. 8-) This is an underrated one that I feel the need to give a shout-out to before moving on to upvoting my favorites.
The Frozen Throne: 6 - Meh, I feel that you guys are exaggerating a bit here. I agree that it could be better (it would’ve been nice to fight Elora), but at least the boss has a cool design and the enemies of the mini-campaign are really cool. It’s definitely not the worst in the series anyway; it isn’t any worse than Sarelgaz’s Lair, for instance. ;)

Why is Darklight Depths missing?
:hero:
User

by Uranato » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Ninja wrote:Sarelgaz’s Lair: It’s a boring level with no new enemies except Sons of Sarelgaz, which are just OP spiders. The boss is uninspired and lazy. The winter theme is done better in other levels.

Sure it's boring (inlcuding Sarelgaz herself to some extent), but I actually liked the atmosphere more than Frozen Nightmare. It's decent enough, albeit the blandest of all KR1 mini-campaigns. Sarelgaz atleast feels big and intimidating as a giant Spider Queen.

Ninja wrote:Bolgur’s Throne: The level is pretty easy, but that’s standard fare for the first boss of a KR game. I just really like the layout and overall aesthetic. Also, dwarf king in a robot super suit! Now that’s just cool. 8-) This is an underrated one that I feel the need to give a shout-out to before moving on to upvoting my favorites.

Definitely one of the best boss stages in KRV according to me too (looking at the competition). Bolgur's design was ingenious and great, and reminds me heavily of the legendary old KR bosses. Polyx is great too, though I like Bolgur's theme the most in Vengeance.

Ninja wrote:The Frozen Throne: 6 - Meh, I feel that you guys are exaggerating a bit here. I agree that it could be better (it would’ve been nice to fight Elora), but at least the boss has a cool design and the enemies of the mini-campaign are really cool. It’s definitely not the worst in the series anyway; it isn’t any worse than Sarelgaz’s Lair, for instance. ;)

Though it's just an opinion, I didn't like it more than Sarelgaz's Lair. I didn't enjoy the Winter Queen's theme, gameplay and general outlook too (only the "ancient powerful entity" thing appealed to me a bit). I do understand your opinion and don't discard it. I'll probably get this down to around 4-5 and move on to other lacking stages.

Ninja wrote:Why is Darklight Depths missing?

Sorry for that, seeing as I like that level a lot (I'll go to the lengths of protecting every KRF stage on the list if one comes under fire).

By the way, here's the current list in case any confusion ensues due to my error:

Sarelgaz’s Lair: 8
Darklight Depths: 10
Bolgur’s Throne: 11
The Frozen Throne: 6
Last edited by Uranato on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:11 pm

"You need to close your parenthesis."
~Not Ninja

I like Sarelgaz's Lair better than Frozen Throne too. I disagree the boss has a cool design... But I admit the Winter Lords are cool. The problem is the boss simply sits there saying bad jokes and doesn't do anything. If it was Elora, it could've rained down Ice Storm on your troops. When it tries to escape to the exit, the path it takes is too long and doesn't have any unique abilities.

It's 0: 10 Greenwich Median Time. I gain a vote.

Rotten Forest: 11 - The level layout is cool. It brings in 3 additional enemies into the encyclopedia (husks, treants, swamp things) and has good difficulty. The only bad thing about the level is that you have to spam quite a bit of instakilling, so it lacks a bit of variability. The boss is also cool, being pretty difficult and having swarms of enemies coming at you, making for quite a good atmosphere.
Dusk Chateau: 10 - Also has a good atmosphere.
Gryphon Point: 8 (-2) - The boss fight sucks, a bladesinger with Perfect Parry 3 alone is enough to permastall him. The enemies supporting him do nothing to try and overwhelm you.
The Frozen Throne: 6
User

by Uranato » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:14 am

EpicPhantom999 wrote:You need to close your parenthesis.

Haha yes, for some reason I miss the closing bracket half the time, both in writing and typing. Fixed it.

EpicPhantom999 wrote:I like Sarelgaz's Lair better than Frozen Throne too. I disagree the boss has a cool design... But I admit the Winter Lords are cool. The problem is the boss simply sits there saying bad jokes and doesn't do anything. If it was Elora, it could've rained down Ice Storm on your troops. When it tries to escape to the exit, the path it takes is too long and doesn't have any unique abilities.

The Winter Queen could've been better even without being Elora. She's just lackluster right now. Frozen Nightmare is actually not that bad (I'd still play it instead of, say, some other TD game), but compared to the other stages it pales significantly.

EpicPhantom999 wrote:It's 0: 10 Greenwich Median Time. I gain a vote.

Yes, so does Ninja (he can vote any time now before the day ends on GMT), even though he voted quite late in the previous day.

Here's my vote for this day:

Rotten Forest: 11 - Shout out to this being one of my liked stages as well, though there are two points I'd like to point out. First of all, the portal to hell in the middle of the forest was a really cool feature, but I feel that they went overboard with the Demons, taking away vital attention from the "stock enemies" of the stage (the new ones like Husks and Swamp Things). It also took a little bit of attention from Greenmuck's "boss feel", in that the Demons felt like they were half the reason for the forest's corruption. I probably didn't make much sense here but I thought I'd still put this out.
The Sunken Citadel: 12 (+1) - Giving this stage one more point for the fantastic aesthetic and abilities of the Deep Devils (one of my favorite KR races), plus I'd like to point out that Leviathan's art is great and (probably repeating this point) he's intimidating enough to atleast look like a boss.
Dusk Chateau: 10 - Yes, I like this stage a lot among KRO stages too. The boss is cool, and some of the enemies are really cool too. Difficulty is perfect (could've been slightly harder).
Gryphon Point: 8 - I actually liked the boss fight a bit (giant Gnoll who runs fast and has armor if I remember correctly). At the very least I liked it more than the Winter Queen, the Ancient Ghosts and the Paragons (Paragons being a controversial opinion).
The Frozen Throne: 4 (-2) - I admit that this is getting more hate than it deserves, and I'll leave it at 4. I'll move on to other stuff in my next vote (same for my "for" vote).
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:24 am

Better than Ancient Ghosts? You liked it so much you made a Comprehensive Guide to it! People like Shadowmoon, saying it and Blackburn are the only 2 mini-campaigns that had only new enemies. Cursed Bargain does that with unique level mechanics and adding more creative achievements than a frog sipping tea.

I won't leave it at 4 :twisted: . But I'll kill some other ones first ;)
User

by Uranato » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:22 am

I liked the difficulty level, so I made a guide on it. I don't dislike the mini-campaign in general (albeit it fell short of the grandeur of Shadowmoon and Blackburn), but even you would agree that the Ancient Ghosts (both the level and the boss, the boss more so) kind of didn't live up to expectations.

I'd say not to fire too much at Frozen Nightmare. 4 is low enough, and fans of that stage could potentially attack our favorites in retaliation.
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:20 am

I don't know what the expectation was... It seems quite high... Anyway, the levels aren't supposed to be how they did compared to the expectations, I'm voting on how much I liked the stage overall.

There should be some sort of rule so that doesn't happen. Also, I said I will kill it eventually but only after the worse stages (Temple of Saqra, Sarelgaz's Liar, etc.) are dead, and even fans of that stage can't deny that Frozen Throne isn't nearly as good as some of the others.
User

by Uranato » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:55 am

Temple of Saqra?! Though this might be just an opinion, it was a fantastic stage befitting the grandeur of the Savage levels. The boss was great too. If you attack that, I'll defend it and put your favorites under fire!

Ancient Ghosts and Frozen Nightmare should be destroyed first, not to mention Jokull.
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:01 am

Whoa. The layout is good but the problem is, to this day I have no idea whether it's possible for the boss to make it to the exit. Does he just sit around like Umbra or does he try to get to the exit also?

Frozen Nightmare should, Jokull might, and Ancient Ghosts shouldn't. And why would you put my favorites under fire? What reason do you have to dislike Duredhel or, say, Dusk Chateau more than Frozen Throne or Pandaemonium?
User

by Ninja » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:39 am

I really can’t wrap my head around how the Winter Queen is supposed to be worse than Sarelgaz. Sarelagaz is literally just a big fat spider that walks really slow and bites you. At least the Winter Queen has cool stabby arm things for her attack animation. ;)

@EpicPhantom999: Wait, you dislike Pandaemonium? It’s one of the most truly challenging levels in the series (which I like), and has a truly threatening boss to pair with it (unlike say, Sunken Citadel). It’s also one of the two levels to feature the mighty Cerberus, one of the coolest enemies.

Rotten Forest: 11
Fungal Forest: 8 (-2) - The layout of the level is pretty bad design-wise. The tower plots are awkwardly placed, and the Sylvan Elves provided on the level are utterly useless. The new enemies are alright, if a bit bland. The boss is potentially even less threatening than the likes of Leviathan (which is saying something), and he doesn’t even look cool.
Pandaemonium: 11 (+1) - I’ve pretty much already explained why I like this above. Also, the guys arm-wrestling on the top right is one of my favorite Easter eggs.
The Sunken Citadel: 12
Gryphon Point: 8
The Frozen Throne: 4
:hero:
User

by Uranato » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:02 am

EpicPhantom999 wrote:Whoa. The layout is good but the problem is, to this day I have no idea whether it's possible for the boss to make it to the exit. Does he just sit around like Umbra or does he try to get to the exit also?

The boss does walk to the exit. He's just so cool (King Kong reference too) that I go easy on him just to see his animations, skills and design (same for Leviathan, though just for the art). He beats the Winter Queen any day.

EpicPhantom999 wrote:Frozen Nightmare should, Jokull might, and Ancient Ghosts shouldn't.

All three should. Even Ancient Ghosts.

EpicPhantom999 wrote:And why would you put my favorites under fire? What reason do you have to dislike Duredhel or, say, Dusk Chateau more than Frozen Throne or Pandaemonium?

That was actually impulsive, seeing as I like both your favorites (Dusk Chateau and Duredhel Outskirts) quite a lot. I somewhat don't like Vasile, but I do like Baj'Nimen quite a lot. Both the stages are fantastic, and I'll think thrice before attacking them. Do you have any other favorites I might hold hostage? JK. As for Pandaemonium, I like it a lot, since I don't hate difficulty. The whole stage was pretty cool.

Ninja wrote:I really can’t wrap my head around how the Winter Queen is supposed to be worse than Sarelgaz. Sarelgaz is literally just a big fat spider that walks really slow and bites you. At least the Winter Queen has cool stabby arm things for her attack animation. ;)

BIG spider though, and her horde is so large it actually feels epic. The same can't be said for the Winter Queen. Sure, stabby arm things are there but I don't even notice them half the time. The boss is just too lackluster.

Ninja wrote:Wait, you dislike Pandaemonium? It’s one of the most truly challenging levels in the series (which I like), and has a truly threatening boss to pair with it (unlike say, Sunken Citadel). It’s also one of the two levels to feature the mighty Cerberus, one of the coolest enemies. Also, the guys arm-wrestling on the top right is one of my favorite Easter eggs.

Totally agree with you. The stage was great, the boss was great, Cerberus and Demons are great. One of the best things on KR1's roster in my opinion. The Hellboy and Etrigan reference was cool too.

Ninja wrote:Fungal Forest: The layout of the level is pretty bad design-wise. The tower plots are awkwardly placed, and the Sylvan Elves provided on the level are utterly useless. The new enemies are alright, if a bit bland. The boss is potentially even less threatening than the likes of Leviathan (which is saying something), and he doesn’t even look cool.

I don't totally agree here. I liked the swamp theme quite a lot (I also like Rotten Forest). The strategic points are awkward, I admit, but on campaign you actually can make use of the Sylvans with a bit of micromanagement. The boss is weak and not intimidating, but, well, giant boxer-shroom thingy, plus the horde of Rotshrooms that spawn when he dies. Heck, I'd rate him above the Winter Queen.
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:38 pm

I agree with Uranato about Sarelgaz.

About Pandemonium, I knew there was gonna be a bit of disagreement here. The level of challenge the level contains is good, but the problem is these Burning Torment levels are TOO ANTI BARRACKS. I really dislike anti-barrack levels and it's something I really want removed from the game. Every demon dies with an explosion, Gulaemons simply fly over them, Cerberi even die with an infernal combustion, Flareons are self-explanatory, and the environment is even anti-barracks. This leads to not building barracks at all on this map 90% of the time, which I dislike.

It seems like Uranato likes too many of these.
User

by Uranato » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:54 pm

By similar logic, Rotten Forest is anti-barracks too, and you gave it a point. Not as much as Hell, but still. Quite a bit.

As for Pandaemonium, Barracks work well at the very back, while Elementals hold the frontlines (especially against Moloch).
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Husks aren't a big problem later.
Swamp Things' slime balls you can just dodge because you aren't busy with other units most of the time.
Gerald can tank Swamp Things quite nicely. If you don't pay attention for like 10 seconds in Pandaemonium he either dies to mass amounts of flareons, the enviorment, or a demon lord's infernal combustion.
As for Pandaemonium, the only time I use Elementals are to body those two Cerberi. Never used it against Moloch. Against Moloch, I put my hero up against him, back him away and put reinforcements to make him waste his head smash, and repeat. I'm usually more concerned about the Legions coming from the sides.
User

by Uranato » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:30 pm

Don't leave your hero over a lava fissure for 10 seconds.
User

by EpicPhantom999 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:12 pm

The problem is 1/4 of the map is cut off to heroes and barracks.

That's what I dislike.
User

by Uranato » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:46 am

My third vote.

The Citadel: 11 (+1) - Since this can potentially confuse quite a lot of players, I'll elaborate on this one a bit. Being the first boss stage in the series, I believe that the Citadel (with the Juggernaut being an important part) set the stage for boss fights in the whole series. It even set a decent bar (my opinion is that the Juggernaut fight was pretty interesting). The stage itself was quite cool, with decent enemies and a good amount of focus on the other parts of the stage. I like the strategic point placement a lot, plus the Imperial Guards added another charm to the battle. The stage as a whole totally felt like a boss stage, and the Juggernaut (albeit being weak because he's supposed to be a beginner boss) was great. He looked intimidating, had interesting skills and was overall not an extremely easy boss for complete beginners. My first experience of Kingdom Rush was defined by this stage and its boss (and the winter levels to some extent), so that's also a reason why I voted for it. I probably didn't make sense here, but as I'm giving an "off-meta" opinion, I thought I might as well write it down.
Rotten Forest: 11
Fungal Forest: 8
Pandaemonium: 11
The Sunken Citadel: 12
Gryphon Point: 8
The Frozen Throne: 4
The Ancient Ghosts: 8 (-2) - I already hinted that I would be attacking this thing. The enemies and stage overall were decent enough (a bit less than decent), but the bosses were so lackluster that they actually pulled down its quality by quite a lot. They neither felt epic, nor difficult, and on top of that they didn't have any interesting skills at all. The Blackburn armor in the scenery improved this stage a bit, but I still feel that this deserved the downvote.
User

Next