Android Review (includes a few glitches/gameplay issues)

Go greek!!

Android Review (includes a few glitches/gameplay issues)

by Goldenrhino » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:57 am

Alright, I feel like it's time for a review of Clash of the Olympians.

First of all, it's a relatively simple game, but fun. Good for an hour or two, more if you decide to go for every save slot and every upgrade path. No glitches yet, so that's good. So, let's get into a review of the heroes and particular gameplay mechanics.

Perseus: light, fast, weak. Shoots arrows from a bow. Upgrade paths: multi-shot and poison arrows.
Muti-shot can shoot up to five arrows at a time, and upgrades a few to magic arrows that do extra damage. It is SUCH A BROKEN UPGRADE because you're scoring multiple headshots every swipe, racking up huge combos. I completed the game with Perseus first using this upgrade, and I was disappointed by level 19. It was just too easy. The only trouble you have is hitting the little goblin guys on the ground once they get to the temple, but they almost never reach there because you're clearing the ground with your fricken arrows. One minor mistake is that the level 4 upgrade says you'll get 4 arrows, while it stays with 3, and the level 5 doesn't upgrade you to 5 arrow, but 4.
Poison arrows basically shoot a poison gas bomb that, properly upgraded, can slow enemies and deals damage over time. Pretty easy, can take down hordes of harpies and goblin guys at once, and goes through minotaur's shields so you're doing damage anyway. Quite a good weapon.

Achilles: your medium guy. Throws spears. Upgrade paths: fire spears and lightning spears.
Fire spears: his better upgrade, these light enemies on fire as long as the spear goes through a general proximity. This means you can completely miss enemies and still get them burnt. Useful because you don't have to be accurate. Later, you can set the ground on fire too, which means if you miss (again), no worries.
Lighting spears: ooh. Basically, chain lighting: you hit one enemy, it goes straight to another. Seems nice, but isn't really (maybe I just have bad aim), because the chain lighting doesn't kill anything but the weakest enemies. You have to be pin-point accurate with this weapon to hunt down those Succubi and flying-lion-thingies. Not the best upgrade...was stuck at level 19 for the longest time.
One thing about Achilles is that in the beginning, he has no good way to attack enemies right at the temple. Unlike the others, if you just tap, you miss, guaranteed. The upgrades resolve this problem a bit, but it's annoying.

Hercules: Muscle man! Hurls boulders and such. His upgrades allow either bouncing shots or penetrating shots.
Bouncing shots: baaaaaaaaad upgrade. Ouch. Still haven't beaten it with this one yet. Impossible to hit minotaurs, shooting at close targets hits only one thing, and the ricochet function only works in certain siutationsl. Sure, it slows down enemies with each hit, but when you have an cyclops shielding gorgons from your shots, you're screwed. Badly.
Penetrating shots: much better. It just goes through things. Still difficult to land the headshots on minotaurs, but at least you're rewarding somewhat for doing so, and air units just die using this upgrade.
Upgrading "strength" also upgrades damage per shot: two for one! Hercules is also by far the best at taking down succubi, especially with penetrating shots. You can clear multiple energy spheres at a time, and still clean up the succubi in the air.

In all, it's a pretty decent game, but short. Certain game mechanics made me a little annoyed, but nothing serious. However, once I finish the Hercules bouncing shot upgrade path, I'm out. There's little replay value once you finish all the levels. It was fun playing though!

Overall rating: [7.5/10]
Last edited by Goldenrhino on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, my profile pic is a bunny. Don't judge.
User

Re: Android Review

by lolololol » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:11 am

wow good job
i'm not a troll i'm just not that creative in names
User

Re: Android Review (includes a few glitches/gameplay issues)

by delebru » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for sharing your review :D :D :D
Ironhide Developer

by spark123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am

Nice review
Soccer is awesome, so is KR
User

by pakerjon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 am

Hi, informative post..
i like it..
keep it up..
:yey:
User

by TheHallMonitor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm so terrible with Touchscreen. XD
ded

by peko » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 am

Great post! Keep going im Very bad in this Game
User

by spark123 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 am

I think it's really hard, but easy enough that you want to keep playing it.
Soccer is awesome, so is KR
User