Severe Stuff

Anything and everything.

Severe Stuff

by Juice Box » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:24 am

So the new president of my country is this guy named "Duterte" (pronounced Do-Tear-Teh). He was a mayor of this province for, like, twenty years, and he did such a good job making the place great that everyone wanted him to run for president. So he did, and then bam, he won.

The thing about this guy, though, is that he's really... well, radical. I'm talking harsh laws and severe thinking. He's only been president for a month or so, but he's already made more than ten thousand illegal drug dealers/users surrender, and killed over 200 illegal drug-related individuals. He serious wants to bring death penalty back and is in big support for family planning, birth control, etc. He's in the process of naming and throwing out members of government and military who are related to corruption (because our country is super-corrupt), and has already even named five military generals who were supposedly related to illegal activity.

So, yeah. The guy's super-effective and serious good at what he does, but a lot of lamo nublets still think his actions aren't justifiable and are a huge spit on the eye to human rights. I think they can go suck themselves, but ultimately I see what they mean and where they're coming from.

'Cause as some of you know, this country is shit at the moment--0.5% are high-class, 15-20% are middle class, the rest are poor, and around half of those poor are below the poverty line (meaning they can't even buy enough to sustain themselves). Yeah, he's spitting a lot on human rights and the legal justice system, but honestly, who the heck cares if he gets the job done better than anyone has in the past few decades? A lot of my snazzy rich-kid friends think he should step down from presidency, but I just look at them like they're ugly and stupid because damn, this guy should stay.

So, yeah. What are your thoughts on this guy? What do you think of actions that are severe in nature if it's for the good of the many anyway? Does the end really justify the means? Discuss.
User

Re: Severe Stuff

by The Kingmaker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:20 am

I'll do some research and back reading before I post an opinion if that's ok, I like going up as unbiased as possible
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Sinque Productions » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:54 am

Wow. I mean I like him but I don't. Like stopping all the drug dealers is good, but wow severe.
With the stats about the classes, here in 'Merica (US) the rich population is probably smaller than 0.5%, middle class is like 50% and the rest is poor. Then again I can't be sure because here in China (I'm traveling here 'til the end of the month) everything about other countries is blocked because the Chinese government doesn't want there citizens to know that life outside of China is "better" or something like that. More severe (not really) than your new president + it's not corrupt where you live no more. Google is #%}%# blocked. I have to use Yahoo. Wwwwhhhhhyyyy. So I can't look up the stats on the Internet.
The above message has been sent by The Killian Experience version of Addy.
User

by Zonoro13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Five words:

Make the Philippines Great Again
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Manijure » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:23 pm

I had no idea who Duterte is until now. Like Kingmaker, I'll hold off my thoughts until I know more about him. I did find a CNN article that somewhat objectively explains who he is and what people think of him so far: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/asia/stat ... s-duterte/

There was also a quote from Daredevil Season 2 (great show, MUST watch) that sort of relates to this issue:

"Look around, Red. This city, it stinks. It's a sewer. It stinks and it smells like shit and I can't get the stink out of my nose. I think that this world, it needs men who are willing to make the hard call. I think you and me are the same!"
"That's bullshit, Frank, and you know it!"
"Only I do the one thing you can't. You hit'em and they get back up. I hit'em and they stay down!"
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by Ninja » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:14 pm

If he gets rid of the drug dealers and corrupt politicians, then he should stay in his position. Criminals need to be dealt with severely. ;)
Last edited by Ninja on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:hero:
User

by RZRider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:27 pm

I agree with ninja.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Ninja wrote:If he gets rid of the drug dealers and corrupt politicians, then yeah, he should stay. Criminals need to be severely dealt with. ;)

Not only did you end an independent clause this way, but your entire second sentence ended with a preposition. Therefore, your post is nullified. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
BBB

by Ninja » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Ninja wrote:If he gets rid of the drug dealers and corrupt politicians, then yeah, he should stay. Criminals need to be severely dealt with. ;)

Not only did you end an independent clause this way, but your entire second sentence ended with a preposition. Therefore, your post is nullified. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I could refer you to this article or any number of other such articles, but if it satisfies you for me to change the sentence because it is taught in school to not end sentences with prepositions, then I shall do so.
User

by FastAndBlast » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:32 am

I don't see the point of pointing out people's grammar all the time. It just seems annoying. ;)
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by Ninja » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:24 pm

FastAndBlast wrote:I don't see the point of pointing out people's grammar all the time. It just seems annoying. ;)

First, it's to help them become less annoying to me. When I'm reading something, a single grammatical error often distracts me from the message of the writing greatly. And secondly, I also want to help them become more understandable to other people. :)
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Back on topic,

Drug dealers and druglords require a harsh approach. I agree.
I don't agree so much about drug users. I don't think you deserve a bullet to the head because you are an addict... heck, I don't even think you deserve jailtime... I think it's best to have a good education system to prevent it, and clinical help if you are already and adict.

There is a thing called "Due Process of Law" (which comes all the way back to the Magna Carta in 1215)... it basically says that the state guarantees that you'll get a fair trial (among other things). When the state refuses to acknowledge this very basic right, you have a totalitarian regime. If anyone merely suspicious of being involved with drugs can get executed, then the governement is playing a very dangerous game that might end up in full blown dictatorships. This happened in Southamerica.

So, while I do agree that this guy might bring good results, it worries me that he might overstay his welcome a president and refuses to leave when his time is up... as it often happens with leaders that fit the "Strong Man" narrative. Venezuela is currently suffering pretty bad because of Hugo Chavez legacy.

I sincerely hope that Duterte knows where to draw the line before becoming a typical dictator like it usually happens in these cases.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 pm

So, JB, what has Duterte been doing since you created this topic?
BBB

by Juice Box » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:42 am

The_TaTs wrote:Back on topic,

Drug dealers and druglords require a harsh approach. I agree.
I don't agree so much about drug users. I don't think you deserve a bullet to the head because you are an addict... heck, I don't even think you deserve jailtime... I think it's best to have a good education system to prevent it, and clinical help if you are already and adict.

There is a thing called "Due Process of Law" (which comes all the way back to the Magna Carta in 1215)... it basically says that the state guarantees that you'll get a fair trial (among other things). When the state refuses to acknowledge this very basic right, you have a totalitarian regime. If anyone merely suspicious of being involved with drugs can get executed, then the governement is playing a very dangerous game that might end up in full blown dictatorships. This happened in Southamerica.

So, while I do agree that this guy might bring good results, it worries me that he might overstay his welcome a president and refuses to leave when his time is up... as it often happens with leaders that fit the "Strong Man" narrative. Venezuela is currently suffering pretty bad because of Hugo Chavez legacy.

I sincerely hope that Duterte knows where to draw the line before becoming a typical dictator like it usually happens in these cases.

I think I should clarify that the two-hundred "drug-related individuals" were all suspected of being drug dealers--not drug users. Duterte fully supports and wants to help out drug addicts--in the province he was mayor of, he went out and created a bunch of drug rehabilitation centers for recovering drug users. It just so happens that he has no mercy for dealers themselves. This one senator, de Lima, openly showed her hatred for what he was doing and said it was "a complete disregard for justice and human rights." Duterte, in reply, said, "what about all the lives they (the drug dealers) ruined? Where is the justice there? The human rights?"

Personally, I agree with what he said. If there's a quicker, more efficient way to dispose of crime, then we should utilize it, even if it means spitting on human rights. That's just my opinion, of course, but in a country as severe as mine, I wouldn't mind a few radical or unjustly actions if it means benefiting the masses in the long run.

I'm not so sure about the dictatorship, though--I think it's too early to say that he'll do something like that. He's only been president for a month, after all. For now, I'm just hoping he'll do for the rest of the country what he did for the province he was mayor of. I think I'd appreciate that out of him ^-^ .

BBB wrote:So, JB, what has Duterte been doing since you created this topic?

I've not heard much yet, but he just finished his first ever State of the Nation Address. His speech was supposed to last thirty minutes, but he had so much impromptu talking that it ended up being an hour and thirty-eight minutes long >~< . He basically said that he still plans on living up to his promise of getting rid of drugs within six months, and then says that once that's done, he'll focus efforts on other major problems (corruption, crime rates, etc.) He's got a lot planned, and I'm excited to see all his progress over the next few months ^-^ .

Random fact: when Duterte was elected president, a major drug dealer put a bounty on his head for 10 million PHP (which should be around 220,000-240,000 USD). In reply, Duterte said, "fuck you, bitch. My bounty on you is 60 million!"

So lovable, right? :b
User