I'm safe thank god

Anything and everything.

Re: I'm safe thank god

by Ninja » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:38 pm

Raze fan wrote:
shadownight wrote:wow im so a fan of duterte now he is truly the best president so far for the Philippines
https://youtu.be/g79OoCIz77I

I live in the USA and here all I hear out him is he's killing thousands of criminals lol. Though I suppose that it can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Criminals are breaking the law. Criminals hurt people in various ways. The government's job is to protect the citizens of its country and uphold the law. From that, I see nothing wrong with the government executing criminals. Extrajudicial killings can get out of hand, so I don't fully agree with that, but then again, it's not my country, and the people of the Phillipines don't appear to be complaining, so it isn't really my business to disagree with that being practiced in the Phillipines. (Well, from what I've read, mostly drug dealers are being singled out for these killings, and I wholly agree with that. I don't agree with extrajudicial killings on, say, petty theft offenders.)
:hero:
User

by shadownight » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Raze fan wrote:
shadownight wrote:wow im so a fan of duterte now he is truly the best president so far for the Philippines
https://youtu.be/g79OoCIz77I

I live in the USA and here all I hear out him is he's killing thousands of criminals lol. Though I suppose that it can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

dude the amount of work he done to us was good and 91% of people in the Philippines trusted him and have full support

User

by The Kingmaker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:16 pm

It appears I'll be a bit contrarian here in this case.

I'm mid-far left by UK standards. (Hard left as my dashing Bi friend calls it, although he's a bit further left than me I think) As such, I wholly believe in a nationalised healthcare system and equality of this that and the other.
We don't have the death penalty here.

And thus when I hear Duterte is "killing thousands of criminals", I don't see that as an en masse extension of the most extreme facet of judicial punishment to the guilty, I see it as an unnecessarily violent, bordering on criminal, action. I don't see the killing of criminals as necessary in any way. I don't know about the state of the Philippine prison system, but even if your prisons are fit to bursting, idealistically, you want to rehabilitate criminals. That is the point of prisons in all but reality. And even though prisons aren't the best at that purpose, its better than outright killing a criminal.
Again, I don't know much context here, but I severely doubt all those thousands of people have had an unbiased and lawful trial ending in the judge having no options for rehabilitation of the defendant and thus sentencing them to death as an unfortunate necessity. It seems like a purge.

And because I don't see the killing of those people as a good or necessary thing I don't see Duterte in the best light. My gut also tells me lots of what you two are hearing is through a rather baised media.

"After his inaugural speech Duterte again urged citizens to go ahead and kill drug addicts because "getting their parents to do it would be too painful", and said that he didn't care about human rights or due process." Imma just leave this here. Addicts are victims, not aggressors, failed by systems and institutions and falling upon drugs and petty crime as a result. They should be rehabilitated, not fucking put down like fucking animals. And when someone in power doesnt care about human rights or due process, what's the point in anything anymore.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by The_TaTs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:21 pm

Sorry for just reading this.

I'm super glad you didn't got hurt. :/
User

by Juice Box » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:36 am

The Kingmaker wrote:It appears I'll be a bit contrarian here in this case.

I'm mid-far left by UK standards. (Hard left as my dashing Bi friend calls it, although he's a bit further left than me I think) As such, I wholly believe in a nationalised healthcare system and equality of this that and the other.

And thus when I hear Duterte is "killing thousands of criminals", I don't see that as an en masse extension of the most extreme facet of judicial punishment to the guilty, I see it as an unnecessarily violent, bordering on criminal, action. I don't see the killing of criminals as necessary in any way. I don't know about the state of the Philippine prison system, but even if your prisons are fit to bursting, idealistically, you want to rehabilitate criminals. That is the point of prisons in all but reality. And even though prisons aren't the best at that purpose, its better than outright killing a criminal.
Again, I don't know much context here, but I severely doubt all those thousands of people have had an unbiased and lawful trial ending in the judge having no options for rehabilitation of the defendant and thus sentencing them to death as an unfortunate necessity. It seems like a purge.

And because I don't see the killing of those people as a good or necessary thing I don't see Duterte in the best light. My gut also tells me lots of what you two are hearing is through a rather baised media.

"After his inaugural speech Duterte again urged citizens to go ahead and kill drug addicts because "getting their parents to do it would be too painful", and said that he didn't care about human rights or due process." Imma just leave this here. Addicts are victims, not aggressors, failed by systems and institutions and falling upon drugs and petty crime as a result. They should be rehabilitated, not fucking put down like fucking animals. And when someone in power doesnt care about human rights or due process, what's the point in anything anymore.

That's exactly what the country needs, though. Who cares if laws get trampled on? They're in the way. So we ignore them.

The point here is progress as a nation--we don't want to see what we can do to get out of the Philippine shithole: we want to see how fast we can get out of it, regardless of the cost. The Philippines has been in a poor state for a long time, and people want change as fast as possible. If that means just flat-out killing thousands, then kill thousands. Yes, there will be innocents among them. Kill them anyway. Yes, drug addicts and users are often a byproduct of a failed nation. Kill them anyway. The point here isn't to uphold human rights, it's to ignore them entirely, for the simple reason that they're in the way of progress.

My main problem with Duterte is that he doesn't outright kill politicians involved with drugs, just puts them out of their positions. Like, what the fuck, man? I understand that these are people with power and control, and therefore people who can fight you, but he said himself that there should be no distinction between drug users of any kind. I don't care if it's a politician or a policeman or a homeless guy. If you protect drugs then you protect drugs, and people who protect drugs get shot and killed. No trial, no arrest, just a death-squad. That's how it was for the thousands already killed, that's how it should be for everyone else.
User

by shadownight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:06 am

And one more thing those who died where criminals that faught back at the police.
the police obviously needs to take them out since their life is endangered

User

by The Kingmaker » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:50 pm

@JB:
Laws are there to get in the way to protect those innocents from being killed.
"kill them anyway" isnt a good mantra if you're trying to improve your world standing.
You shouldn't give any quantity of fucks about the progress if you have to trample on human rights to achieve them. Progress to benefit some at the cost of others is no progress at all.

@shadownight:
do the police wear cameras? Is there an unbiased watchdog?
Because neither of those things are in America and that's what's caused the whole BLM movement because people lie. Policemen lie. And sometimes those police won't have been endangered, they'll have just let their personal prejudices come before due process and get away with literal murder via loopholes and sympathetic institutions.

My treasured creations:
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:14 pm

Juice Box wrote:
The Kingmaker wrote:It appears I'll be a bit contrarian here in this case.

That's exactly what the country needs, though. Who cares if laws get trampled on? They're in the way. So we ignore them.

The point here is progress as a nation--we don't want to see what we can do to get out of the Philippine shithole: we want to see how fast we can get out of it, regardless of the cost. The Philippines has been in a poor state for a long time, and people want change as fast as possible. If that means just flat-out killing thousands, then kill thousands. Yes, there will be innocents among them. Kill them anyway. Yes, drug addicts and users are often a byproduct of a failed nation. Kill them anyway. The point here isn't to uphold human rights, it's to ignore them entirely, for the simple reason that they're in the way of progress.

My main problem with Duterte is that he doesn't outright kill politicians involved with drugs, just puts them out of their positions. Like, what the fuck, man? I understand that these are people with power and control, and therefore people who can fight you, but he said himself that there should be no distinction between drug users of any kind. I don't care if it's a politician or a policeman or a homeless guy. If you protect drugs then you protect drugs, and people who protect drugs get shot and killed. No trial, no arrest, just a death-squad. That's how it was for the thousands already killed, that's how it should be for everyone else.

As long as you understand that death-squads should never be considered a "standard" solution but an extremely temporary measure. A government that can kill its citizens without due process is a very dangerous thing. The Nazis, the LatinAmerican dictatorships in the 70's, the African countries ruled by warlords... too many examples of how bad things can get. Why? Because what starts as a "security" measure quickly becomes a political tool to dispose of any kind of opposition.

Right now, Philippines are in a state of emergency with the drug cartels from continental Asia pushing to corrupt everything, so in exceptional times, one can understand exceptional measures.

As always, I hope that Duterte's knows when to stop. Populist speeches and authoritarianism is a slippery slope. I'm old enough to remember when many people thought that Hugo Chavez in Venezuela was going to fix things... he become a bonafide "legal dictator" and his regime has brought Venezuela to a social and economical debacle. Accountability is the only thing that keeps governments in check, you take that out of the equation and is a recipe for a constitutional dictatorship.
User

by shadownight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Well said Tats I don't have any argument on your statement

User

by Juice Box » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:22 am

The Kingmaker wrote:@JB:
Laws are there to get in the way to protect those innocents from being killed.

Then the law is in the way. Therefore the law must be ignored.

The Kingmaker wrote:"kill them anyway" isnt a good mantra if you're trying to improve your world standing.

Who cares? Progress.

The Kingmaker wrote:You shouldn't give any quantity of fucks about the progress if you have to trample on human rights to achieve them. Progress to benefit some at the cost of others is no progress at all.

I'll give a fuck about them once they prove useful to getting this nation out of the shithole it's in. It's not a matter of how much we can sacrifice for the sake of progress, it's a matter of how fast. There must be change, and there must be change as fast as possible, no matter the cost.
User

by The Kingmaker » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:38 pm

I give up arguing.

Its good you're both safe.

My treasured creations:
User

by Anorak » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:16 pm

To quote lord of the rings; "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf
User

by saam » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Anorak wrote:To quote lord of the rings; "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf

that makes a good sense to me!
User

by Ninja » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:57 am

I hate bots. :evil:
:hero:
User

Previous