HPMOR (and rationalist literature in general)

Anything and everything.

HPMOR (and rationalist literature in general)

by Manijure » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:33 am

In the tainted depths of the pit of our Discord server, Zonoro and I are at odds (so really, nothing new).

To sum it up, Zonoro is obsessed with a Harry Potter fanfiction called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, written by Eliezer Yudkowsky, an advocate of friendly artificial intelligence. Upon reading it and incessantly nagging the rest of us to do so as well, he makes the following claim: "If everyone read rationalist literature, evil would not exist. Violence and war would never occur."

I want to hear your thoughts on this. Do you agree or disagree?
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

Re: HPMOR (and rationalist literature in general)

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:34 am

How exactly do you define "rationalist literature"?
Yes it's me

by Zonoro13 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:27 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:How exactly do you define "rationalist literature"?

Anything by Yudkowsky, I guess. Lesswrong.com is a starting point.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Emotions are what make us human. Yes there would be no evil if everyone thought rationally, but there would be no good either. No sadness, no happiness, no emotion. Isn't that the plot of Tales of Symphonia?

Edit: I've read the first few chapters. I find the concept of magic more believeable than an eleven year old being that pretentious and rational. Clever concept, but far too obnoxious. There's no warmth and nothing making endearing me to the characters. It's reading more like an article on scientific reasoning than a fantasy tale.
Yes it's me

by Zonoro13 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:36 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:Emotions are what make us human. Yes there would be no evil if everyone thought rationally, but there would be no good either. No sadness, no happiness, no emotion. Isn't that the plot of Tales of Symphonia?

Edit: I've read the first few chapters. I find the concept of magic more believeable than an eleven year old being that pretentious and rational. Clever concept, but far too obnoxious. There's no warmth and nothing making endearing me to the characters. It's reading more like an article on scientific reasoning than a fantasy tale.

Not even the most radical rationalist thinks we should apply decision theory to every facet of our lives. Here's a description of what a more rational world might look like: http://yudkowsky.tumblr.com/post/814472 ... confession

The idea is to increase quality of life, and thus happiness, through a better system of education and government.

On hpmor: your criticisms are somewhat accurate. HJPEV is a clear author-insert and is not a realistic 11 year-old. But the story is not about "what if Harry Potter was a genius". The whole "magic doesn't make sense" arc dies quickly and there is a lot of character development, including Harry. The plot is emotional, and Harry doesn't always act rationally, and gets less pretentious as the story goes on, in my opinion. Also, quirrel is an actually interesting character.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by SealDarklight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:10 am

Sounds quite harmless but in reality quite stupid. We would be stone dead and everything you connect might be nothing but zombies. RaZoR is pretty much right about that and btw I think evil and good should exist because it gives emotions and if one of it doesn't exist so doesn't the other. It's like you read a story without a villain and will the story be good?
User

by Zonoro13 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:53 pm

SealDarklight wrote:Sounds quite harmless but in reality quite stupid. We would be stone dead and everything you connect might be nothing but zombies. RaZoR is pretty much right about that and btw I think evil and good should exist because it gives emotions and if one of it doesn't exist so doesn't the other. It's like you read a story without a villain and will the story be good?

A story without conflict might not be interesting, but a world without evil would be a much better world.

You don't have any reasoning or evidence for your points. Why would we be stone dead?
-Terry Pratchett

User

by GeminiSparkSP » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Bruh, My Immortal is where it's at, with a secondary dose of 30Hs.
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by Ninja » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:48 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:
SealDarklight wrote:Sounds quite harmless but in reality quite stupid. We would be stone dead and everything you connect might be nothing but zombies. RaZoR is pretty much right about that and btw I think evil and good should exist because it gives emotions and if one of it doesn't exist so doesn't the other. It's like you read a story without a villain and will the story be good?

A story without conflict might not be interesting, but a world without evil would be a much better world.

You don't have any reasoning or evidence for your points. Why would we be stone dead?

Zonoro's right that a world without evil would be much better, but sadly, it is an impossibility.
:hero:
User

by SealDarklight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:14 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:

Well been stone dead im talking about Personality and emotions and you dont feel anything at all about these people because they dont care anything other than obey something. You might have a point :(

Ninja wrote:
Zonoro's right that a world without evil would be much better, but sadly, it is an impossibility.

Well i can live with good and evil and well this world is both good and evil except this world is inhabbitet By idiots known as human race wich i wish if they kill themselves and be replaced By the new race.

I really need to kill myself im a terrible person for all of you and for myself :cry:
User

by Ninja » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:17 pm

@SealDarklight: Whoa; there's no need to be so sad about everything! Yes, the world is evil, but that doesn't mean that everyone should kill themselves! If you're seriously considering suicide because of that, then you need to talk to someone ASAP.
User

by magicmetal03 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:55 pm

Ninja wrote:@SealDarklight: Whoa; there's no need to be so sad about everything! Yes, the world is evil, but that doesn't mean that everyone should kill themselves! If you're seriously considering suicide because of that, then you need to talk to someone ASAP.

Agreed. You have to think positive. Forget about the suicidal thoughts. Try to forget it. Try to make yourself happy by thinking, I don't know, meeting Tats and/or Pencil or Lito or anyother KR developers, or the thought of KR4 or Iron Marines being released and your jolly emotions, can't wait to play it. Whatever you do, don't consider about. Try, just try, to forget about everything and start new. And if everthing else fails, get some help or call the Suicide Hotline like Ninja said.

Anyways, my subjective opinion is that reading HPMOR can cause an effect that makes Zonoro think whatever book he recommends would be read by you, which possibly make him always suggesting books. So I recommend banning him for a while or download a bot that ban words like "HPMOR" or "Rationalist".
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by RZRider » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:26 am

SealDarklight wrote:
Zonoro13 wrote:

Ninja wrote:

Well i can live with good and evil and well this world is both good and evil except this world is inhabbitet By idiots known as human race wich i wish if they kill themselves and be replaced By the new race.

I really need to kill myself im a terrible person for all of you and for myself :cry:

Hey, Bro, snap out of it. As a person with a history of deppresion I know how you feel. I have tried to kill myself multiple times. The thing is, it get's better, you FEEL better. I feel better than I have ever been. My advice. Tell someone. NOW. Family,friends, phsyciatrist, anyone you trust. We need people like you, good people. It get's better, I promise.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by Zonoro13 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:24 am

@seal

I would recommend telling an adult you trust about your feelings.

@magicmetal

Nah we have actual discussions about that stuff on discord.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by SealDarklight » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:24 am

Nah I'm not gonna kill myself. I always hated myself multiple times and to be honest I do want to have a rival to fight against. You're ideals are kind of ok and flawless but too decent and I might think there is something wrong if I live in this world or I won't think at all. Maybe I would be a real life villain.

You people are nice people and maybe I might make thread when its 2017
User

by Ninja » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:35 pm

SealDarklight wrote:Nah I'm not gonna kill myself. I always hated myself multiple times and to be honest I do want to have a rival to fight against. You're ideals are kind of ok and flawless but too decent and I might think there is something wrong if I live in this world or I won't think at all. Maybe I would be a real life villain.

You people are nice people and maybe I might make thread when its 2017

I only understood about half of that, sorry. :?
User