How to defend logic?

Anything and everything.

How to defend logic?

by nova_n » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:43 am

So one day i was bored , and so i started to think about random stuff. Then i thought about if someone challenged logic. So say someone said: "Logic us unusable and sucks, and should never b used to prove anything". The opposer, who is for logic, will be defending logic with logic. So basically saying: Logic is correct, because logic says so. Thats circular reasoning. This means logic just kinda killed itself. Right?

But for the anti logic, he is disproving logic with logic. So that essentially says: Logic != true because logic == true.
That seems like a paradox. And i have researched this, and nothing seemed to come up. No articles. Nothing.(Btw, i have been reading many articles for 1 topic when i want to learn about it. This is mosly for verifaction. Is thiss good or bad. Pls tell me, and let the entire forum know too. Thats a good favor). I have also created a troll account on debate.org where i asked the question just to see how people react. This one hasnt started yet. But i did do a circular reasoning debate, and in my opinion it was funny as hell. Circular reasoning:
http://www.debate.org/debates/Is-everything-I-say-correct/1/

So are both wrong? if not, who is right? and justify
I AM THE VIC VIPER
User

Re: How to defend logic?

by Sinque2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:26 am

XD Imagine if someone actually believes that because they say it, it is true. XD

I'd say logic is the method of thought and reasoning based on facts/the rules of the universe.

Facts, unlike opinions, are either true or false. Therefore, if defending with correct logic, your opponent is incorrect in saying correct logic is false. It's like saying the universe doesn't exist, and as far as human kind knows it does.

It is saying logic = true because fact = true based on the definition of fact.

That is my take on it anyway.
User

by Ninja » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:34 am

If someone legitimately thinks that logic is "wrong", then they have no basis on which to use language. They would disprove their own argument simply by having an argument. ;)
:hero:
User

by Ruby_Hex » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:43 am

This hurts my brain so good.
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 am

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".

Sinque2 wrote:XD Imagine if someone actually believes that because they say it, it is true. XD

Religion.
Yes it's me

by PitNata » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:15 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".

Sinque2 wrote:XD Imagine if someone actually believes that because they say it, it is true. XD

Religion.

Pardon, but i misunderstood your last word. Does you mean that Religion, or Believing in a God is false?
No offence, i am just asking. :|
I'm modding Kingdom Rush. :geek:
User

by Sinque2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:27 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".

Religion.

Good point.

User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:57 pm

PitNata wrote:

Religion.

Pardon, but i misunderstood your last word. Does you mean that Religion, or Believing in a God is false?

More so that "belief" doesn't make something right. It's not just religion, it's lots of things. Believing that you can cure cancer with crystals, through prayer or by drinking concoctions doesn't make it real. Believing a man in a red suit flies around the planet delivering toys, doesn't make it real. Crossing your fingers doesn't guarantee you good fortune.

Belief is neither true or false, you can believe in any number of things. It just doesn't mean what you believe in is real, just because you believe it to be.
Yes it's me

by Zonoro13 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:57 am

nova_n wrote:So basically saying: Logic is correct, because logic says so. Thats circular reasoning. This means logic just kinda killed itself. Right?

Interested topic, but I think it breaks down here. The idea of circular reasoning comes from logic in the first place, so the anti-logic argument is false.

PitNata wrote:Pardon, but i misunderstood your last word. Does you mean that Religion, or Believing in a God is false?

Religion is bad because it has harmful effects on humanity. God's don't exist, and if any do, I don't think any religious text is right about it/them.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by PitNata » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:07 am

Religion is bad because it has harmful effects on humanity. God's don't exist, and if any do, I don't think any religious text is right about it/them

More so that "belief" doesn't make something right. It's not just religion, it's lots of things. Believing that you can cure cancer with crystals, through prayer or by drinking concoctions doesn't make it real. Believing a man in a red suit flies around the planet delivering toys, doesn't make it real. Crossing your fingers doesn't guarantee you good fortune.

Belief is neither true or false, you can believe in any number of things. It just doesn't mean what you believe in is real, just because you believe it to be.

Please no offence, but don't you think that's weird to say that we appeared/created by himself, yet that's not truly be logic. I mean, i could not say: Oh hey, i saw a boat which refuels by himself, unloads cargo by himself, loads goods by himself, and sails by himself! That's not logic in sense. Every action cannot be done if there's not something/someone that can do that. :idea: :?:

Well, i don't mean for example some other things, that RaZor have said before. Yes, i agree that there's not any super-hero guy that would fly to save the day from villains, or robbers
or even just thinking about ''children-Indigo''.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:12 pm

A topic about logic turned into a discussion of religion. Are you guys doing this on purpose? ;)
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:A topic about logic turned into a discussion of religion. Are you guys doing this on purpose? ;)

No, I hate discussing religion, it always makes me angry.
Yes it's me

by Ruby_Hex » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 am

RaZoR LeAf wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:A topic about logic turned into a discussion of religion. Are you guys doing this on purpose? ;)

Then why'd you bring it up? I don't mean to be mean, but...
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by nova_n » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:22 am

Holy crap ths blew up bigger than i thought. I thought itd be 1 reply. Watch. Religious wars will get this topic locked. I bet i bet. Oh wait. Now you guys will prevent that war from happening. Its good that a third party has steered you away! But pls, don think there are just theists and athiests. There are agnostics too. ITS A 3 WAY BATTLE! but srsly if u will ague about this guys, pls remind yourselves not to explode........
I AM THE VIC VIPER
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Ruby_Hex wrote:
RaZoR LeAf wrote:

Then why'd you bring it up? I don't mean to be mean, but...

I said the word as a response to Sinque. I didn't start debating it. Besides, I'm an adult I have to do things I hate all the time.

nova_n wrote:Holy crap ths blew up bigger than i thought. I thought itd be 1 reply. Watch. Religious wars will get this topic locked. I bet i bet. Oh wait. Now you guys will prevent that war from happening. Its good that a third party has steered you away! But pls, don think there are just theists and athiests. There are agnostics too. ITS A 3 WAY BATTLE! but srsly if u will ague about this guys, pls remind yourselves not to explode........

The only people going to lock the thread are Aeris, BBB or myself. We'll only lock it if it gets out of control. Your original subject was about logic, so everyone can go back to discussing that instead of religion, whixh as I have said, was only mentioned to make a point not as a subject change.
Yes it's me

by PitNata » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:24 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:

Then why you did not warned me, that you will ban me that i just said my point of view on it? :?
I did not start the war, only answering at the Razor post about Religion. And oh well, i attacked his own logic, with mine, although it wouldn't work, assuming i've got quite reputation for not answering at my questions.

...Damn. :(
User

by Ninja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:39 pm

:?:

RaZoR didn't even imply that he planned on banning you, PitNata.
User

by PitNata » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Ninja wrote::?:
RaZoR didn't even imply that he planned on banning you, PitNata.

''No, I hate discussing religion, it always makes me angry'' makes quite the sounds of an alarm trigger :idea:
User

by Ninja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 pm

I don't think that RaZoR is the kind of person to ban someone on an angry whim. He seems more in control of his emotions than that.
User

by nova_n » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:07 am

I meant anyone in general
I AM THE VIC VIPER
User

Next