StarCraft II

Talk about anything game related!

StarCraft II

by Juice Box » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:06 am

Bang, motherfruiters.

Quite arguably one of the best RTS games of our time, and for good reason. Not to outshine BFME's spotlight in the Game Talk forum, but yeah, StarCraft II is like ten times better.

I mean, come on. Fruiting beautiful:

Anyways, I'm sure most of you know about this game already; do I even need to explain why it's so good? Tons of strategic options and tactical capabilities to take into account, you can't go wrong with StarCraft II being the RTS player's dreamworld. In fact, the main problem I see with this game is that it's too tactical, too heavy on strategy that you need to really study and practice to become good. The rewards are worth it, afterwards, though, of course, since then you can really use those strategies you learned to the best of your efforts.

But yeah, this game is superdifficult. Its reliance on both macro-management and micromanagement forces you to have both a good sense of strategy, which can only be done by studying your enemies, and a good sense of tactics, which can only be achieved by practice. Now, I'm a silly useless nublet who's really bad at this game, so my favorite confrontations are always the small-scale ones, since A) full-out battles with 300 units clashing together break my brain ("HOLY SHRIMP WHICH ABILITIES DO I USE"), and B) I can actually micro my units properly and to full extent.

Anyways, here's a Thor:

Anyways, factions!

So yeah, which race do you guys normally use in SCII? And for what reasons? Personally, I'm tied with both the Terran and the Protoss, since they're equally awesomesauce. Although it's quite clear that Terran units are weaker than those of the Protoss (GODDAMN IT DIE ALREADY), they make up for it with their sheer adaptability. Hellbats are a pretty example, transforming from vehicle mode to battle mode in a few measly seconds, giving you both a nifty scout and a powerful anti-mob unit at the same time, who can be both healed and repaired by your support units when necessary. Siege Tanks and Vikings are other nice examples, with Siege Tanks offering you both amazing anti-mob capabilities as well as mobile defenses, and Vikings offering you both anti-air and anti-ground capabilities. The Protoss don't seem to focus so much on this, but then again, they don't need to: most of their units are incredibly powerful as is with their assigned role, and this perhaps can't be better emphasized than the Immortals and the Colossi, who are basically the primes of their respective roles.

So yeah. StarCraft II! Thoughts? Discussions? Opinions? Discuss!
User

Re: StarCraft II

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:21 pm

I really want to get this game, but I'd like to get BFME working on my computer before I buy another game. Otherwise, I don't know anything about it to discuss. Feel free to rant about any nitpicks you have or gush about awesome stuff in the game, like I do for BFME. :)
BBB

by Juice Box » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:38 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:I really want to get this game, but I'd like to get BFME working on my computer before I buy another game. Otherwise, I don't know anything about it to discuss. Feel free to rant about any nitpicks you have or gush about awesome stuff in the game, like I do for BFME. :)

Oh, you don't have to buy it yet, actually. You can get it for free--well, the Beta version, atleast. Just go to this link over here and download.

The link I gave is for the game's Starter Edition, which gives you access to Custom Battles and the first four missions of the Campaign. But if you want to try out the Beta of the new game--Legacy of the Void, which gives two nifty new units per race--you can manually redirect your download to that once you set everything up.

We can actually play games together here, if you want. Multiplayer is quite smooth and it would be a fun way for me to pwn your silly nublet butt.
User

by Kowaghuz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:17 pm

This is one of the games I'd play if I was an immortal deity with an infinity of years to spend as it wills and which lacks the risk of developing brain cancer from staying too much on the PC.

But since I'm not, I'll have to stick to more prioritized games, sorry.
User

by AerisDraco » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:14 pm

I should get it at some point.
Protoss are pretty cool.

Also, I've noticed some interesting similarities between this game and CivBE, chiefly among the affinities/races.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Juice Box » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:47 am

AerisDraco wrote:I should get it at some point.
Protoss are pretty cool.

Also, I've noticed some interesting similarities between this game and CivBE, chiefly among the affinities/races.

So...

Harmony = Zerg
Purity = Protoss
Supremacy = Terran

Or did I get something wrong?
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 am

Swap Supremacy and Purity.

Let's see:
Harmony/Zerg similarities:
-Alien (duh)
-Generally insectoid uniques

Purity/Terran similarities:
-Human is best
-Giant hulking war machines
-Giant humanoid walkers
-Tank unique

Supremacy/Protoss
-Most advanced tech
-4-legged walker unique able to traverse canyons, with two large laser-cannon things. Very suspicious. (ANGEL (CivBE) v. Colossus)

BTW, have you seen Carbotanimation's Starcrafts series?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Chimto » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:30 am

I played quite a bit of SCBW back in the day, but never got into the second game. And I'm not sure if I should get another game when I've already got my hands full with Dota, Morrowind, Sunless Sea, Mental Omega and others.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Juice Box » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:02 am

AerisDraco wrote:BTW, have you seen Carbotanimation's Starcrafts series?

Nope, don't even know what that is. Everything I know about StarCraft is limited to the second game, sadly.
User

by Kowaghuz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:13 am

Juice Box wrote:Supremacy = Terran

Terrans are cheap copies of the WH40K Imperium. So is the Purity affinity. Does "Burn the heretic, kill the mutant, purge the unclean" ring a bell?

You had one job tbh.
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:52 am

Oh, you need to watch it.
It's on YouTube, and I recommend starting with "It's nerfin' time!".

The series itself is an episodic parody of Starcraft, and everything is 200% cuter. Even the Zerg!
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Chimto » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:53 am

Kowaghuz wrote:

Terrans are cheap copies of the WH40K Imperium.

Not even by a long shot.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Kowaghuz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Chimto wrote:
Kowaghuz wrote:

Terrans are cheap copies of the WH40K Imperium.

Not even by a long shot.

They both have spees muhreens. Close enough.
User

by Juice Box » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Kowaghuz wrote:
Chimto wrote:
Kowaghuz wrote:Terrans are cheap copies of the WH40K Imperium.

Not even by a long shot.

They both have spees muhreens. Close enough.

- Space Marines are regarded as one of the finest the Imperium of Man has to offer, outfitted with the best armor and given the best guns and the best training with the best implants. But despite these advantages, they are very few in numbers.
- Terran Marines are prisoners, psychopaths, criminals and outlaws who were given guns and weapons. Their suits give them good survivability, but they still have short lifespans.
- The life of every Space Marine is considered precious.
- Terran Marines are sometimes even considered disposable.
- Space Marines follow very complex traditions that they uphold, all somehow linked to service for their Emperor.
- The only thing Terran Marines have is each other.
- Space Marines would absolutely annihilate Terran Marines.
- Terran Marines can barely fight against the Zerg, while the Space Marines manage to hold off the Tyranids, as well as pretty much every other hostile race out there.
- The Terran are more like the Imperial Guardsmen, really: weak, cheap, disorganized and disposable men sent to die.
- The Space Marines are more like the Protoss: extremely few in numbers, but can wipe the floor with pretty much anyone.

Just some of the differences off the top of my mind. Also:

First ever StarCraft game: released in 1998.
First ever Dawn of War game: released in 2004.

Burn, heretic.
User

by Chimto » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Juice Box wrote:First ever StarCraft game: released in 1998.

First ever Rogue Trader sourcebook: released in 1987.
Your other points are fair. Not this one.
Last edited by Chimto on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

by Kowaghuz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Burn, heretic.

Games Workshop: Founded in 1975.

You know 40k was originally and is still mainly a board game? Right? Right? Right???

Right?
User

by Chimto » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Kowaghuz wrote:Right?

Most likely not. 'The first few Warhammer games', yeees.
User

by Juice Box » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Kowaghuz wrote:

Burn, heretic.

Games Workshop: Founded in 1975.

You know 40k was originally and is still mainly a board game? Right? Right? Right???

Right?

No, I win every argument here because power overwhelming.
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:16 pm

So, JB (Am I allowed to call you that? Not sure...), did you look up the Starcrafts series.
C'mon, look at this zergling:
It's so cute.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ninja » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:25 pm

AerisDraco wrote:So, JB (Am I allowed to call you that? Not sure...), did you look up the Starcrafts series.
C'mon, look at this zergling:
[+] SPOILER

It's so cute.

Wow,that is pretty cute. :o
:hero:
User

Next