Speculation and Wishlist Thread

A new Sci-Fi adventure! Mechas included.

Re: Speculation and Wishlist Thread

by kevin32 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Endless modes: (I think there are some kinks that need to be worked out, but this is the general idea)

Standard: Your base is surrounded on three sides by mountainous terrain, like a cul-de-sac. The only way in or out is a large pathway that leads to the enemy base. The enemy starts with more buildings and troops than you, and they are already sending troops to your base. You have only a few minutes to build before the first troops arrive. There is an etherium mining location in your base that contains nearly infinite etherium, but you must still mine and utilize it. The enemy's objective is to destroy all your units, and your mission is to survive for as long as possible. Every 5 minutes you earn a saved checkpoint. (An alternative to a cul-de-sac is having your base in a central location without any mountainous terrain and having the enemy approach from all directions.)

Tower Defense: Similar to Standard but in this mode there is a specific building in your base that the enemy is trying to reach and destroy. While some enemies will target units in range, most enemies will go straight for the building at all costs. The building cannot be repaired when damaged so your mission is to defend it for as long as possible.

Tower Offense: Similar to Tower Defense except you're on the offensive. You must send out troops and destroy a specific tower at the enemy base. The enemy will not come to your base but will remain at their base to defend. But you better hurry, as the game progresses the enemy will continue building bigger and stronger defenses.
Last edited by kevin32 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by Ninja » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:27 pm

kevin32 wrote:
[+] SPOILER
Endless modes: (I think there are some kinks that need to be worked out, but this is the general idea)

Standard: Your base is surrounded on three sides by mountainous terrain, like a cul-de-sac. The only way in or out is a large pathway that leads to the enemy base. The enemy starts with more buildings and troops than you, and they are already sending troops to your base. You have only a few minutes to build before the first troops arrive. There is an etherium mining location in your base that contains nearly infinite etherium, but you must still mine and utilize it. The enemy's objective is to destroy all your units, and your mission is to survive for as long as possible. Every 5 minutes you earn a saved checkpoint.

Tower Defense: Similar to Standard but in this mode there is a specific building in your base that the enemy is trying to reach and destroy. While some enemies will target units in range, most enemies will go straight for the building at all costs. The building cannot be repaired when damaged so your mission is to defend it for as long as possible.

Tower Offense: Similar to Tower Defense except you're on the offensive. You must send out troops and destroy a specific tower at the enemy base. The enemy will not come to your base but will remain at their base to defend. But you better hurry, as the game progresses the enemy will continue building bigger and stronger defenses.

Tower Offense isn't really endless, because you'll eventually
kill the enemy tower no matter how strong their defenses,
due to having infinite time to do so.
:hero:
User

by kevin32 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:49 pm

Ninja wrote:Tower Offense isn't really endless, because you'll eventually

No traditional endless mode is actually endless because at some point the opponent prevails. With Tower Offense, playtime is much longer because the enemy will continually build and strengthen defenses to remain competitive against your offensive.
User

by Ninja » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:58 pm

kevin32 wrote:
Ninja wrote:Tower Offense isn't really endless, because you'll eventually

No traditional endless mode is actually endless because at some point the opponent prevails. With Tower Offense, playtime is much longer because the enemy will continually build and strengthen defenses to remain competitive against your offensive.

Eh, I guess I would just rather have an
endless mode in which one can actually
play endlessly. :|
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Good news for you: His other 2 Suggestions can potentially be Endless.

Deathless: All units in each team gain quintuple (or however much is preferable, it can be changed) HP.

Kingdom Rush: Players have an adjustable time limit to rush into the enemy base and destroy them.

Scavenger: Etherium cannot be mined, but slaying enemies gives double their normal cost in Etherium.

Insanity: Unit speed, Etherium gain, and ability cooldowns are twice as fast.

Assault: All units and buildings are free to build/train for the first minute of gameplay.
BBB

by AerisDraco » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:22 pm

You guys ever think we're providing too many wishes/suggestions?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Of course the ideas can't all come to fruition. Since the game has already been worked on for awhile, most of these ideas will be read but never implemented simply because it's too late. But, we can just dream. And speculate.
BBB

by Ninja » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:21 pm

AerisDraco wrote:You guys ever think we're providing too many wishes/suggestions?

Nah. Most of them will never be
implemented anyways. ;)
User

by kevin32 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:26 am

Long soundtrack with dynamic scoring: Songs are at least 5 minutes long and have a dynamic score, meaning when no battle is occurring (such as during the build phase), the music is generally "quiet" with few instruments playing. But when you attack or being attacked, the music "picks up" and additional instruments and drums begin playing. So the music matches the action that's happening on screen. Here's an example of how this is used (not my video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFpTqvaIJQ

Flexible save options: Since this is a "casual" RTS, I would like to suggest the option of saving the game at any time, and even have multiple save points for the same stage. For example, I'm always going to want to save after I've built a base of operations with a decent amount of buildings and troops, and I'm always going to want to save just before assaulting an enemy camp. If the assault fails, I can go back to the first save and expand the base with more troops/vehicles.
Last edited by kevin32 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

by Chimto » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:57 am

I think an RTS should have a lot of effects. Take Starcraft: when a unit dies, it either explodes in a plume of gore or gives off a nice fireball. You know that unit just died. In Starcraft 2, they either fall over and kind of vanish after a second, or they just vanish in a cloud of unsatisfying colours. In other games you get various levels of effects, but these are the two opposing extremes and serve well for our comparison.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Juice Box » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Chimto wrote:I think an RTS should have a lot of effects. Take Starcraft: when a unit dies, it either explodes in a plume of gore or gives off a nice fireball. You know that unit just died. In Starcraft 2, they either fall over and kind of vanish after a second, or they just vanish in a cloud of unsatisfying colours. In other games you get various levels of effects, but these are the two opposing extremes and serve well for our comparison.

Oh, dear, yes. Adding onto that.

This may be a little bit too much to ask, but this game should really be as amazingly polished as possible, so here:

It would be nice if each faction had specific death animations/death sounds. RTS games are usually pretty hectic, and since death is so commonplace, it's hard to know if it's you who just lost a unit or your enemy.

Bringing up again what Chimto said about StarCraft 2: in that game, each faction has a very specific set of death animations. For example, a specific race, the Protoss, always explode into energy on death, and you can see their "souls" go to the sky. In contrast, another race, the Zerg, have really simplistic death animations--occasional fire, sure, but no explosion, no energy transformation, etc., and the only units with noticeable deaths are the large ones, like these things called the Ultralisk. I'm pretty sure things are like this because of the nature between the two factions: the Zerg don't care if their units die, they always just make more. The Protoss, on the other hand, aren't very numerous, so the player naturally needs to be well-informed whenever a unit of his dies.

As the player, I want to be able to know exactly the full extent of my casualties in the game. I want to be able to tell when the unit that just died was mine or my enemy's, and death animations really solve that, as well as adding another level of polish to the game.

On another topic:

Another nice thing about some strategy games is the dead bodies. I don't know, maybe I'm just sadistic like that, but some strategy games don't remove the bodies of dead units from the game. They just let them stay on the ground, let it be a mark that a fight took place there. Some games take this even further, and let explosion or burn marks litter the ground. There are even some games where you can use this to your strategic advantage: in Company of Heroes, burnt bodies mean a flame-based unit is nearby, and gibbed bodies near normal dead ones mean you'll probably have to deal with a tank later on. That's something I really want to see in this game, even though it may be too much to ask. I don't know, but it's just sort of nice for me as the player to know the full extent of the battle I'm in.

So, yeah. Unique death animations. And dead bodies that stay.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:41 pm

I oppose the staying of dead bodies.

It's too much for the game to keep track of all the corpses. Sure, they can stay for awhile, maybe half a minute, which I would enjoy because I like JB's reasoning, but otherwise, it's too much. A long game can result in the frame rate dropping or simply the game crashing if it has too much to handle on-screen as well as throughout the whole map all at once. Ironhide's style is very colourful, so to see all those blues and oranges, plus whatever else is in the game besides what the screenshot is showing, is tiring for the eyes and for the computer. It would be cool, but I think the technological limitations prevent that.
BBB

by Anorak » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:23 pm

I agree with BBB about dead bodies staying. I do not think the dead bodies should star very long. Depending on how many there are they could block the ground and make a mess. Maybe 10-30 seconds would be the most I suggest the bodies stay.
User

by The_TaTs » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Also, too many dead bodies in one place can be extremely unsanitary. :ugeek:
User

by Simmonds91 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:07 pm

I don't know how the game will be or what ironhide have planned but I really really hope that if there are ever more than 2 factions, that unlike in origins, that at least one new faction isn't allied to the default 2 factions. Basically I want the Iron Marine equivelant of the elves to be hostile to the gnolls and the humans. i don't mind there being alliances but i want more complex politics yknow? like, dwarves + humans vs elves vs gnolls.

Edit: An endless mode would work very well in an rts, even better if what you need to defend can be moved around, like the command centres in the C&C games.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Juice Box » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:I oppose the staying of dead bodies.

It's too much for the game to keep track of all the corpses. Sure, they can stay for awhile, maybe half a minute, which I would enjoy because I like JB's reasoning, but otherwise, it's too much. A long game can result in the frame rate dropping or simply the game crashing if it has too much to handle on-screen as well as throughout the whole map all at once. Ironhide's style is very colourful, so to see all those blues and oranges, plus whatever else is in the game besides what the screenshot is showing, is tiring for the eyes and for the computer. It would be cool, but I think the technological limitations prevent that.

This problem seems to have been solved already by other games. Dawn of War, for example, puts a limit on the number of dead bodies you can have onscreen. If you go beyond that, then the game will start systematically removing them. Other games also simply let players decide themselves how many dead bodies they want in their map at any given time, from every dead unit staying to every dead unit being removed immediately. That way, you can get the feeling that you're in a hectic fight while still have good frame rate.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:42 am

Juice Box wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:I oppose the staying of dead bodies.

This problem seems to have been solved already by other games. Dawn of War, for example, puts a limit on the number of dead bodies you can have onscreen. If you go beyond that, then the game will start systematically removing them. Other games also simply let players decide themselves how many dead bodies they want in their map at any given time, from every dead unit staying to every dead unit being removed immediately. That way, you can get the feeling that you're in a hectic fight while still have good frame rate.

Oh, you mean like what I already mentioned in the second sentence? Don't post just to defend yourself to avoid being wrong; I already agreed with the concept, I just needed to make modifications to your specific idea to make it work, aspects which you hadn't mentioned yourself. :P

A body limit combined with a long-ish timer in order to keep new bodies appearing would work perfectly, in my opinion. Just as long as they don't get in the way of other things, of course. ;)
BBB

by Juice Box » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:59 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Oh, you mean like what I already mentioned in the second sentence?

Your second sentence:

Big Bad Bug wrote:It's too much for the game to keep track of all the corpses.

I don't argue to prove I'm not wrong, I argue to prove that others aren't right. You suggested a timer, not a limiter. Big difference.
User

by Simmonds91 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 am

limit: 30 corpses that stay on screen forever if you dont kill any more enemies.

timer: 30,000+ corpses on screen for 30 minutes if an endless wave of enemies come at you and you kill them fast enough.

there are pros and cons to each, unless of course you combine them... i dont see why that isn't an option, 30 corpses on screen that dissappear if you kill any more or the timer runs out, perhaps a personal timer for each enemy so it looks natural (a load of corpses dissapearing all at once looks weird :lol: )

Silly bug, you should know better than trying to reason with a juice box ;)
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Second sentence of the second paragraph. Sorry. :?

But really, we should focus on this sentence:

Big Bad Bug wrote:A body limit combined with a long-ish timer in order to keep new bodies appearing would work perfectly, in my opinion.

A minute long is all that's necessary. Maybe even 30 seconds depending on how hectic gameplay is, but seeing as it's "casual," a minute ought to be fine, but we'll see.

Simmonds91 wrote:Silly bug, you should know better than trying to reason with a juice box ;)

I like to try to reason with EVERYONE, no matter what. If you think about how many people that includes, it might sound silly, but oh well.
BBB

PreviousNext