Who are we as gamers?

Talk about anything game related!

Who are we as gamers?

by GriffinGamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:15 am

I wanted to bring this question to the table. Who are you as a gamer. I'm asking you, are you the gamer that plays the newest games like Call of Duty, Forza, Fallout? Or the gamer that as much as you love the new games, you have an even greater passion for the older games, and the older games franchise, and you love studying the history of gaming, and love the N64 graphics? That's who I am, I think the newer games are fantastic, but I feel like they just can't compete to the experience of playing with the older games, and indulging yourself in its franchise? I have a rep at school, for being a hardcore gamer, and anybody who knows me knows I am a major fan of Legend of Zelda and Metroid, like major fan. I love the N64 graphics, and Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie and others. Also, do you ever study the history of videogames on your free time? Are you even that much of a gamer?
And lastly if you just love Metroid and Legend of Zelda as much as I do, which do you think is better?
User

Re: Who are we as gamers?

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:50 am

Why are there only 2 options? I personally love both genres of games as well as video game history.

KR and Dark Souls are great games, and also modern. The original Mario and Metroid were also great games, but I enjoy both without constantly making myself enjoy one less by comparing it to other games. The ideology that older games are better takes away the belief in the possibilities of what can come soon in the gaming world. With all the technology at our disposal and the many, many more programmers out there, a game can be made with just as much quality as any Zelda game, if not more.

The same thing happened with music, where everybody was loathsome of Justin Bieber and others, claiming that the 50's and 80's were better and that they wanted to live in that time period just for the music. Then, we got Lana Del Rey. Have faith in any art form that's still in production.
BBB

by Juice Box » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 am

Okay, so I'll admit something, and it may be a bit shallow but have faith in me anyway because I chose to admit it: I mostly play games nowadays for the title it gives me. I mean, most people seem to sort of naturally like gamer girls, and even more so if they're much more than just gamer girls.

I'm, like, the kind of person who tries to be everything. The problem with that is that I naturally give more attention to the things I like more, and gaming just isn't one of them. I mean, I used to play games often enough when I was a kid, but it lost its appeal the more and more I grew up and got into things like reading, or partying, or music or getting into the honors roll. I still game nowadays, but it's sort of seldom, something I do out of boredom, and partly so I can claim I'm a gamer girl.

There are games that I still really enjoy: StarCraft II and Company of Heroes are really the prime examples, since I just die for any great RTS, but otherwise, I don't even know what Fallout is, and have completely forgotten what Legend of Zelda and Metroid are.
User

by Simmonds91 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:17 pm

What BBB said, though im mainly a mobile gamer these days, ive downloaded sooo many games that are just amazing, with storytelling, art and gameplay that rivals console games (Don't Starve and Dungeon of the Endless for example). I Bought my ps4 for fallout 4 alone for example.

I love zelda games though I've never played a metroid game, the franchise didn't ever appeal to me. Fallout 3 will always be my all time favourite game though, followed very closely by GTAV and TLOU. Destroy All Humans was amazing at the time too, I loved the idea of playing as an alien sent to earth to harvest the brains of humans using all manner of weird weapons (including psychic powers) and Ratchett & Clank... now that was the very first game I ever played alone (the n64 being for the whole family), I cant stand the controls now but my god... i obviously played other games at the time but that franchise was my childhood.. street fighter 2 as well, i spent a lot of time playing that, unlocking every character and ending..

The main point im trying to make is that 80's games are amazing, 90's games are amazing, 00's games are amazing and this decade, where Steam exists and indie developers are making such amazing work for IoS and Android etc. ... I honestly can't say either decade of games is better than the rest, I could give you a masterpiece or four for each one.

Random personal games trivia: mercenaries was the first open world game I ever played, I had played no other game like it, even the destructability of the environment was completely new to me and the soundtrack! wow... Ok I changed my mind, Fo3 isn't my all time favourite game, Mercenaries is :lol:

Mercenaries 2 was a dissapointment, it gave nothing new but thats ok, it was fun for a while.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Ninja » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:54 am

The age of a game means nothing to me as long as the game is entertaining and fun.
I don't play Call of Duty, Forza, or Fallout. :P But, I am aware of them and they seem
like pretty decent games. Legend of Zelda (LoZ) and Metroid games are great and I
love them. :D TBH, I don't think there are many people who have played them that
don't like them. :P My personal favorite game series are: Super Smash Bros., KR, and
Mario games. Those are true masterpieces, IMO. I don't study video game history much,
but it's enjoyable enough. To answer the last question, I prefer LoZ over Metroid, but
that's only because I find the theme and characters from LoZ more enjoyable. :P Other
than that, they are basically equal in my mind. :)
:hero:
User

by xstargaming » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:55 am

I meant to reply to this earlier, but time has been somewhat far from my grasp as of late. :lol:

I favor both new and old games, yet my preferences truly rely on a variety of factors: what sort of story does the game present? What sort of gameplay helps make the game unique compared to others? How engaged can the game keep me in its world? What subtleties are included that may be missed initially yet later discovered? What is the replay value of the game; is this something I'd like to be (or could be in seldom yet some instances) playing a couple of years later?

On occasion I examine the quality of sound and graphics, but ultimately neither is of greatest importance to me. Half-life 2, for example, demonstrates this greatly: while its music and graphical quality were not superb (at least not by today's standards), the game kept you constantly engaged with puzzles and its overlying plot. Those which combine thoughtfulness, creativity, quality of product, among other facets of the game, tend to be the better regarded in the industry; I take Skyrim as an example here for its multiple paths of plot, expansive world, well-designed graphics, and engaging gameplay.

As to genre, I enjoy those which require a measure of thought, such as puzzle-based games (including RPGs and FPSs that contain them) and strategy games. However, I am more than open to most games, though I have a few (Call of Duty among them) which I cannot bring myself to enjoy even in the slightest. Also, to answer your final question, I prefer Legend of Zelda over Metroid only because my love for fantasy transcends my love for science-fiction by a small margin. :)
User