Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by Sinque Productions » Fri May 06, 2016 10:08 pm

It amazes me how young Vez'nan is. Like I feel like he should be 666 thousand years old, but he's young.

Also, wouldn't Nivus know that Vez'nan was a dark wizard? Did he secret transform overnight?
The above message has been sent by The Killian Experience version of Addy.
User

by AerisDraco » Sat May 07, 2016 12:26 am

Maybe Nivus is an equal-opportunity wizard mentor.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Oof_Shunt » Sun May 08, 2016 6:25 pm

When's the beta?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue May 10, 2016 2:06 am

What do you think of The Beginner's Guide and all that it says about game development, game developers, and game players? :)
BBB

by Juice Box » Tue May 10, 2016 10:31 am

The_TaTs wrote:
Juice Box wrote:How does it feel to know that in your games, a Wild Magus got it on with an Archdruid twice?

Those two are married, so they probably got it on several times. Just saying. 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

Man, that has to be the single funniest yet cringiest-est answer you have ever given me.

Though really, Wild Magi are probably what, over-eager all-too-hyper young-looking elf girls? And one of them is apparently married to an old-looking all-too-silent bearded druid dude? Eeeyurrgh *cringe*

Smaller question: why were barracks nerfed in KRO? I understand that they have way more damage potential, but they cost way more and have pretty much double the respawn time that they're all-around way weaker than barracks in KR and KRF. The number of highly-volatile anti-barracks units is the same as the other two games, so you're basically paying for a trooper who, despite being able to do more damage, will spend less time fighting and costs much, much more.

Lastly: click this, and love it. That is not a question but a command. Do it or Catha dies.
User

by GeminiSparkSP » Tue May 10, 2016 2:02 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Some of us here like the idea that Magnus is actually Malagar. It was almost done for Frontiers but we couldn't include it in the game.

Why though? It could've been great to see a hero fall to the dark side. Will we get it in KR4? (the fallen hero thing, not just Magnus)

Any previous hero/character returning in KR4?

Does Catha know about Eridan's crush on Alleria? If so, how far is she willing to go to win him over?

You once said that Reg'Son and Lynn could've had a relationship if they weren't so "ruthlessly similar". What do you mean by that?

Any KR shipping that you personally dislike?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by Sinque Productions » Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 am

Hopefully this wasn't answered already, but what do you (The TaTs) do besides reply to our obnoxious comments?
Organizing events, making teasers, updating the website, etc.???

Like what is in your job?
User

by Oof_Shunt » Wed May 11, 2016 5:24 pm

Who is Snoke?
User

by Sinque Productions » Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 am

Will you guys ever work more on the comic or are you to busy?
User

by The_TaTs » Mon May 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Sinque Productions wrote:It amazes me how young Vez'nan is. Like I feel like he should be 666 thousand years old, but he's young.

Also, wouldn't Nivus know that Vez'nan was a dark wizard? Did he secret transform overnight?

Vez'Nan kept his evilness to himself. Maybe he didn't really become evil after getting a hold of the Red Gem at the end of Origins... who knows?

Oof_Shunt wrote:When's the beta?

July? Hopefully.

Big Bad Bug wrote:What do you think of The Beginner's Guide and all that it says about game development, game developers, and game players? :)

I haven't played it yet. Or The Stanley Parable... sorry. I know I should, but there are so many freaking books, movies and games to go through that I always seem to be missing out on something.

I will tell you this however, it's always refreshing to see game developers brave enough to create an experience for players that has different interpretations and where nothing is exactly what it seems. Underestimating the audience's intelligence is one of the worst vices of the entertainment industry.

Juice Box wrote:
Though really, Wild Magi are probably what, over-eager all-too-hyper young-looking elf girls? And one of them is apparently married to an old-looking all-too-silent bearded druid dude? Eeeyurrgh *cringe*

Smaller question: why were barracks nerfed in KRO? I understand that they have way more damage potential, but they cost way more and have pretty much double the respawn time that they're all-around way weaker than barracks in KR and KRF. The number of highly-volatile anti-barracks units is the same as the other two games, so you're basically paying for a trooper who, despite being able to do more damage, will spend less time fighting and costs much, much more.

Lastly: click this, and love it. That is not a question but a command. Do it or Catha dies.

Elves are either immortal or have really long life-spans. For all we know, Eridan and Arivan's mom can even be older than the dad. Even if he has withe beard and all.

The barracks where nerfed to reflect the notion that elves don't relly on foot soldiers as much as humans do. They prefer magic and archers. For elves, training foot soldiers is a bit against their nature, so barracks cost more. Maybe this worked better on paper. :roll:

Checked. Liked it. Your taste in music never disappoints.

GeminiSparkSP wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:Some of us here like the idea that Magnus is actually Malagar. It was almost done for Frontiers but we couldn't include it in the game.

Why though? It could've been great to see a hero fall to the dark side. Will we get it in KR4? (the fallen hero thing, not just Magnus)

Any previous hero/character returning in KR4?

Does Catha know about Eridan's crush on Alleria? If so, how far is she willing to go to win him over?

You once said that Reg'Son and Lynn could've had a relationship if they weren't so "ruthlessly similar". What do you mean by that?

Any KR shipping that you personally dislike?

Why is anything fun? It's just something that some of us like, there's no wise game-design reason behind it... and in the end it wasn't included in the game, so the whole point is moot. ;)

I'm not spoiling anything on KR4. You'll have to wait and see. :)

Catha knows but acts as if she doesn't. She's usually pestering Eridan between battles and secretly helping him... she would never hurt Alleria or do anything evil... but she is also not above being mischievous when she can't hold her jealousy.

About Reg'Son and Lynn... what I meant is that they are both so ruthless and relentless in their drive to fight that they see each other more as rivals than anything. But if they stopped being bad@sses for a second and sit down to talk, they'll find they have more in common than any other Hero in KRO.

I love all shippings. They amuse me to no end.

Sinque Productions wrote:Hopefully this wasn't answered already, but what do you (The TaTs) do besides reply to our obnoxious comments?
Organizing events, making teasers, updating the website, etc.???

Like what is in your job?

I'm the social media manager. So I basically manage our Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube and Steam accounts. I write all the posts, newsletter, work on teasers and videos. I also work on support, answering tons of emails every day.
I help out in planning announcements and hype campaigns, relaying your concern to the founders and team leads, giving you guys both bad and good news, I'm also working on translating Frontiers to Spanish, networking with other studios (like the guys from Banner Saga) and trying to hold the fort when something bad happens (like the no-PC thing for Origins or the delay in Iron Marines).

All in all my job is about communicating, doing damage control, thinking ahead and having fun. :)

Oof_Shunt wrote:Who is Snoke?

Han Solo. Obviously.

Sinque Productions wrote:Will you guys ever work more on the comic or are you to busy?

Very unlikely, although it might still happen.
User

by GeminiSparkSP » Mon May 16, 2016 4:53 pm

The_TaTs wrote:I love all shippings. They amuse me to no end.

Then which KR shipping amuses you the most?

Now that it's out, what do you think of Civil War?

Any plans on adding anime references to future games? I remember seeing your twitter post saying you're THAT kind of nerd/geek.

Why is Reg'Son shirtless? I thought a battle mage should know better to wear armor.
Last edited by GeminiSparkSP on Thu May 19, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by Juice Box » Mon May 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Why did you guys choose to release Frontiers on Steam first and not Origins?

Not to pester you or anything, but wouldn't it be profitable to release Origins first? KRF is the older game and the one with a free Flash version, while KRO is the younger one and subsequently also the one that people have been begging to be playable on PC.

It just seems as if you guys might profit more if you got Origins on Steam before Frontiers. It has more potential and has a chance of satisfying those who you received backlash from.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 pm

If KRO gets released for Steam, will it have all of the imbalances in heroes and towers patched? Can the same be said for the Frontiers Steam version? (Maybe this belongs in the Steam thread. Both threads seem equally valid to me)
BBB

by The Kingmaker » Mon May 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Explain how antibodies and vaccination works to protect the body from pathogens and infections (4 marks)

Sorry, my revision is everywhere.
Do you have a favourite Lord of the Rings character?

How is the studio at the moment?
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Pencil » Thu May 19, 2016 2:33 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:If KRO gets released for Steam, will it have all of the imbalances in heroes and towers patched? Can the same be said for the Frontiers Steam version? (Maybe this belongs in the Steam thread. Both threads seem equally valid to me)
Juice Box wrote:Why did you guys choose to release Frontiers on Steam first and not Origins?

Not to pester you or anything, but wouldn't it be profitable to release Origins first? KRF is the older game and the one with a free Flash version, while KRO is the younger one and subsequently also the one that people have been begging to be playable on PC.

It just seems as if you guys might profit more if you got Origins on Steam before Frontiers. It has more potential and has a chance of satisfying those who you received backlash from.

I can't say much, frankly, this question outranks me quite a bit. I'll just say that Frontiers will serve as a way to gauge interest for Ironhide Games on the PC market, also, having the third and first game of a series for a platform without having a second is kinda weird.
Ironhide Developer

by Big Bad Bug » Thu May 19, 2016 3:41 am

Seems like a poor excuse to me. Having a game that is multiple years old come out on Steam for the first time is also "kinda weird." You'd definitely get better feedback from Origins since it's a more relevant game. ;)
BBB

by The_TaTs » Thu May 19, 2016 6:09 pm

GeminiSparkSP wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:I love all shippings. They amuse me to no end.

Then which KR shipping amuses you the most?

Now that it's out, what do you think of Civil War?

Any plans on adding anime references to future games? I remember seeing your twitter post saying you're THAT kind of nerd/geek.

Why is Reg'Son shirtless? I thought a battle mage should know better to wear armor.

- Catha's unrequited love for Eridan.

- I liked the movie, but the second act was a bit dull.

- We might add a few Anime references here and there.

- Reg'Son is shirtless because he has an aversion to hiding his abs.

Juice Box wrote:Why did you guys choose to release Frontiers on Steam first and not Origins?

Frontiers was easier to migrate, and therefore the costs were lower. Migrating Origins would have been much more expensive and we are currently not getting all that much revenue from our games, as we are running on our savings, it was wiser to test the Steam waters with Frontiers than with Origins.

Big Bad Bug wrote:If KRO gets released for Steam, will it have all of the imbalances in heroes and towers patched? Can the same be said for the Frontiers Steam version? (Maybe this belongs in the Steam thread. Both threads seem equally valid to me)

It will have all the imbalances. Sorry, re-balancing the game has been an uphill battle for many of us here.

The Kingmaker wrote:Explain how antibodies and vaccination works to protect the body from pathogens and infections (4 marks)

Sorry, my revision is everywhere.
Do you have a favourite Lord of the Rings character?

How is the studio at the moment?

Boromir is my favourite character of Lord of the Rings. Followed very closely by Gollum. Both characters had inner struggles, doubts and their vision of good/evil was not cookie-cutter like with everyone else in the books.

- The studio is on a "All hands on deck mindset". Everyone is working super hard on each project, and really hoping that we don't get delayed anymore than we already are.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Seems like a poor excuse to me. Having a game that is multiple years old come out on Steam for the first time is also "kinda weird." You'd definitely get better feedback from Origins since it's a more relevant game. ;)

Relevance is a debatable concept. Origins is newer, but Frontiers was at the time, the most downloaded app on Apple (not just the most downloaded game, mind you, it surpassed every other app available). Frontiers carries far more brand recognition.
As it often happens with this type of weird decisions, we have some numbers and studies than we can't fully share with us... so all I can say is: "We did our research".
User

by The Kingmaker » Thu May 19, 2016 6:33 pm

Rebalancing is an uphill battle? I don't wish to appear standoffish, but my coding-illiterate mind can't fathom much of that. If (like I think is correct) you have to completely rewrite the code for any new platform or game (which sucks, I know nothing about coding, but a cross platform algorithm seems logical) then why not fiddle with a few of the numbers when putting them all in?
If (which I don't think is the case), you've been able to copy most of the code for this port,just touch up the numbers while you're in the position to fiddle with things? If it's not about not being able to change, but not wanting to, then I similarly can't see it, as if I was *searches for metaphor* copying a marked essay, I would change bits of it and some words or sentences specifically because of feedback I've gotten. Whatever

I don't know the studio dynamics and I don't know coding, so feel free to lampoon me with something I would've foreseen if I knew what I was talking about. Which I don't. I'm just a gamer with a sense of over-entitlement and I should be glad I'm getting anything from such an awesome game studio. :D
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Anorak » Thu May 19, 2016 7:10 pm

we have some numbers and studies than we can't fully share with us...
You have numbers and studies you can't share with yourself? :lol:
User

by magicmetal03 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:07 pm

What kind of programming languages do you guys know?
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

PreviousNext