Kingdom Rush Origins: The Novelization

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Kingdom Rush Origins: The Novelization

by Manijure » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:58 am

So yesterday, I had a bit of free time outside with a pencil and notebook, so I did what most authors do and just wrote stuff. I have had a lot of ideas for an Origins novelization, so I decided to put it on paper. I only have the prologue and part of a first chapter done, but I'll update it periodically, whenever I can. Critique away, and hope you enjoy what I have so far!

Prologue

Hisssssss……. Soooooo….. It is here. The source of true power… Power that exceeds the strength of an Elven army. Finally, what I have coveted for my entire life is mine!!!

*CLUNK!*

Hiss!!! I see… Of course the barrier will not yield so easily. I was a fool to think that the goddess would leave her treasure in open sight without protection… Ssss…. It will take more than my powers to shatter through this magical glass. But who to help me with my scheme??? Sarelgaz? No… Her wrath if I awoke her from her slumber will not end things well. But I have no one else… Hmmmm…..

HISS! But of course! SHE could help. Her dark powers will be more than enough to break the barrier. And with her civil war in a mess, gaining the power of the goddess will only help her cause. It is win-win…. However, I would have to share the power with her. It should all be MINE…

Well, never mind about that for the time being. I will ponder more about the issue later, once my plan is set in motion. I must make haste. Destiny is calling to me! I will be back soon. Prepare… Elynie.

The Grey Ravens

It was not usual for an elderly wizard and a hobbit to enter the Grey Ravens. Come to think of it, a hobbit did not seem to belong anywhere in the Elven realm. One would assume he was from another realm entirely.

Regardless, a wizard by the name of Gandalf, along with a hobbit known as Frodo Baggins, walked through the town towards the shores, the local Elves gawking at them with curiosity.

“What a long, pointy hat this wizard has!” a young Elf thought to himself, intrigued.

“What power lies within that long staff?” a mother Elf wondered.

“So are hobbits only born with nine fingers?” a female teenage Elf asked her father.

“How should I know?” his father replied. “It’s not like we see hobbits in the middle of the earth of anything.”

Gandalf noticed the excited muttering around Frodo and himself, chuckling softly to himself. Throughout his abnormally long life, he has intrigued every race he has visited and conversed with, whether it be Elves, Men, Dwarves, elementals, or dinosaurs. Seeing Elven villagers gaze in awe at his presence is hardly a new experience.

Gandalf and Frodo were about to leave the land of the Elves after a brief visit and counsel with the Queen. They had discussed trading opportunities their worlds can take advantage of, now that the War of the Ring had concluded. Upon hearing from the Queen about the nearby kingdom of Linirea and its project to build a weapon that they call “artillery,” Gandalf and Frodo had expressed bewilderment. They were then quickly eager to share this piece of news to Middle Earth. The Queen had then bid them farewell, hoping that they have safe passage home.

As Gandalf and Frodo approached the shores, a ship waiting for them, a wood kindled with fire flew through the air and hit Gandalf’s cloak, lighting him on fire.

"GANDALF!" Frodo screamed in terror. "GANDAAAAAALFFFF!!!!!!"

More and more fiery projectiles hit the village as creatures charged out of the forest, with a malicious intent for destruction. Larger than the average Elf, they instilled fear in the villagers, who were not prepared for such an assault.

There were two kinds of the attackers. One of them was furry green, each wielding wooden brown clubs that they swung in the air with excitement. The other kind was orange with a red mane. Instead of wielding clubs, they held burning pieces of wood. Not much else can be said about them except that they were out for blood.

“Gnolls!!!” an Elf guard screamed in warning as the creatures entered the village. “Elves, take them down!”

The rest of the guards, ten in total, grabbed their swords and bows and charged towards the Gnolls, yelling. The other villagers quickly turned to Gandalf, expecting him to go gung ho with his magic, but instead saw a burning flailing figure screaming in pain as the hobbit tried to lead him into the shores with no avail.

“FIRE AND BRIMSTONE!!!” Gandalf madly howled as he randomly ran about, the flames eating his flesh little by little.

Frodo, confused on what he can do to save Gandalf, saw a bucket of water outside of a nearby house and rushed towards it, slightly bumping into a buff man carrying a boulder with one hand. The man, ignoring the little hobbit, slowly lumbered towards the impending conflict.

The Elf guards immediately barraged the Gnolls with a volley of arrows, none of the arrows missing their marks. Many of the Gnolls in the front lines fell quickly, the green Gnolls collapsing to the ground with their tongues hanging about and the orange/red Gnolls noticeably burning to ashes.

Regardless of their casualties, the Gnolls kept coming by the tens, inching closer towards the guards. The Elves quickly withdrew their bows and unsheathed their twin Elven blades as the green Gnolls came upon them, the orange/red Gnolls in the back lines. The green Gnolls continued to fall by number as the guards deftly dodged their clubs and slew them with their lithe sword strikes.

The Gnolls quickly gained an advantage as the orange/red Gnolls, protected by their green compatriots, lobbed their burning wood into the guards. Three of the Elves were lit on fire instantly, yelling with searing pain but still attempting to fight. The other Elves, upon realizing the fiery assault, dashed around the enemy, attempting to cut down the burners, but were quickly overcome by the green Gnolls. Two Elves were knocked unconscious by club swings, the others about to meet the same fate. As the orange/red Gnolls continued to gleefully fling their firewood, they failed to notice a circular shadow zooming closer and closer to their location…

*KROOM!*

Three grouped-up burners were instantly crushed by a large stone boulder, the other Gnolls briefly staring in shock. They looked towards the direction where the boulder was thrown and saw a huge man standing firmly. He had hook-like horns on top of his head and a large beard, and wore nothing but green pants. His face bore a look of ferocity and determination as a boulder materialized on his left hand.

“Quiver and quake!” the man shouted as he hurled the boulder towards the gaping Gnolls.

Many of them rolled out of the way, but the boulder still smashed on two of the “Gnoll Burners,” leaving nothing of their existence except ash. The man conjured more and more boulders and threw them as if he was a catapult; each of his projectiles crashed into at least one Gnoll, thinning their numbers more and distracting them from taking down the Elves.

The Gnolls, having had enough of the new attacker, ignored the wounded Elves and rushed towards the boulder summoner, the green Gnoll in the lead raising his club. The man did not run, but stood in place, beckoning them to take their best shot. As several of the burners lobbed fiery projectiles towards his position, a whistling sound pierced the air…

The flying firewood mysteriously toppled to the ground around the man, each of them stuck by an arrow. Confused, the lead Gnoll suddenly collapsed to the side, an arrow lodged between his eyes. Four more Gnolls fell dead as a volley of arrows dropped like rain, none of them hitting the lone man. The man looked behind him and saw a group of about twenty Elves running towards the Gnoll horde, bows in hand. Their confidence bolstered by the presence of reinforcements, the Elven guards who were still standing swung their swords at the Gnolls with increased vigor. The boulder man resumed his onslaught, partially smiling with hope, more Gnolls crushed by his boulders.

As the new Elves continued to bombard them with almost perfect accuracy, the surviving Gnolls, about forty in total now, lost complete confidence and ran for the forest. The boulder man attempted to throw one last boulder at the fleeing Gnolls, but the distance between him and them was too far…

As the boulder flew through the air, one of the Elf reinforcements dashed past the man, his green cape smacking the latter on the face. Tucking his bow to the side, he jumped high in the air, right above the airborne boulder. With a brief grunt, he kicked the boulder with his feet in a diagonal position, changing its direction and greatly increasing its speed. The boulder’s downward trajectory now targeted the center mass of the Gnolls, who realized too late of what was going to befall them.

*KROOOOOMMMM!!!!*

The sound was almost like that of a thunderbolt as the boulder smashed into the ground with full force, smashing into seven Gnolls, breaking into tiny stones, and creating a massive shockwave. The Gnolls near the impact flew in the air and crash-landed in various locations. The remainder of the horde was briefly stunned, their ears ringing from the ridiculously loud noise. Upon regaining their sense of hearing and looking around at the carnage in horror, the eleven remaining Gnolls fled into the forest, disappearing from sight.

The Elf newcomers approached the man and the guards, the green-caped Elf in front.

“Well done, Druid,” the Elf commended calmly, to which the Druid replied with a satisfactory grunt and a nod.

One of the guards approached the Elf with the green cape and formally shook his hand.

“We are forever indebted to you and your men,” the guard said graciously. “Thank you, um….”

“I am Eridan,” the Elf declared smoothly. “And do not thank me yet. The Gnoll threat is hardly finished.”

As the guard was about to reply, a bloodcurdling scream rang in the air.

“GANDALF!!!!!”

The Elves and Druid turned towards the direction of the scream and stared in surprise at what they saw.

Frodo the hobbit was on his knees in shock and in tears. Right in front of him was the burnt corpse that used to be the wizard Gandalf, smoke rising upward into the sky.

“Well, damn,” the Druid said.

Eridan nodded to two of his Elves, who rushed to Gandalf with medicine in their hands. The remainder of the Elves rushed towards several of the unconscious Gnolls hit by the blast and shackled them, rounding them towards the center of the village.

The two Elf medics rummaged through their medicine supply, searching for anything that could miraculously resurrect Gandalf. The only medicine they found somewhat hopeful was kingsfoil, but it was obvious that it could not heal a severely burnt body. They turned their eyes to Frodo and lightly shook their heads.

“NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” Frodo howled in anguish, sobbing furiously.

As a few Elves attempted to comfort the grieving Hobbit, Eridan walked away from the scene, the Druid following him.

“Not a fan of drama,” Eridan said. “I guarantee we will all get a fair share of it very soon.”

“What are you suggesting, Eridan?” the Druid inquired. “And what is the meaning of this foul attack?”

“The Gnolls have declared war on this land,” Eridan replied. “As to why, I do not know.”

“The Gnolls are a peaceful and dim-witted society,” the Druid said pensively. “And the Elves have left them alone without provoking any meaningful act of war.”

“It does seem strange that they are attacking right when we are dealing with the Twilight Elves,” Eridan mused. “Much has yet to be learned.”

“So what can we do?” the Druid asked. “The Elves in my village cannot take another attack. Only your intervention saved everyone.”

“This is a matter for the Queen and the royal court to decide,” Eridan said firmly. “My men and I must head to the capital city of Aredhel to inform them of this new threat.”

Eridan and the Druid approached the rest of the Elves, who were sharpening their blades and creating makeshift arrows from nearby sticks and branches. One of the Elves walked up to Eridan.

“Sir Eridan,” the Elf said calmly. “The Elves are about ready to move. Where shall we head towards?”

“We move to Aredhel,” Eridan declared. “The Queen needs to know of this attack immediately.”

“Understood.”

“Finwer, tell the Elves to gather the Gnoll prisoners. They may provide useful information to us of any future attacks.”

“Yes, Sir Eridan,” Finwer complied, turning to the other Elves to issue orders. The Druid turned to Eridan.

“Eridan, if I may earnestly ask,” the Druid began. “I would like to travel with you to Aredhel.”

“Is that so?” Eridan asked, surprised that a Druid wished to accompany Elves on a very long trek to the capital. “You do not wish to stay in your village and take care of the people?”

“I can only do so little when Gnolls are constantly on the move. My services would be better with you, and helping to neutralize this threat permanently. Besides, some extra muscle would not hurt for Elves.”

“You make an interesting point, Druid.”

“Call me Galle.”

“All right, Galle. And what about your people’s safety when you are gone?”

“Many of my Druid friends live in the forest. I can find them along the way and ask them to protect the village during my absence.”

“That is fitting. Very well. If you want to accompany us, gather what you need and meet with my men in five minutes.”

Galle nodded, and walked towards his home to gather his belongings. Eridan then saw Finwer and the Elves bring the chained Gnolls to him.

“Sir Eridan, all the Gnolls have been accounted for,” Finwer declared. “We are ready to move out.”

“Very good, Finwer,” Eridan said politely. “The Druid will be returning shortly to come with us to Aredhel.”

“The Druid is coming?” Finwer asked, shocked.

“Indeed he is. We shall wait for him.”

As Finwer acknowledged his understanding and told the Elves of this news, Eridan glanced at the Gnoll prisoners. He was surprised to see that none of them expressed any hatred or resentment. Many of them had a sad, forlorn on their faces, as if their lives were not worth living anymore. Upon further scrutinization, Eridan also noticed that some Gnolls had a fearful look, their bodies mildly shaking.

“Do they think we are going to kill them?” Eridan wondered.

Eridan suddenly frowned, as he spotted something odd about one of the green Gnolls. People who are not as keen as Elves would not notice this, but around the Gnoll’s body, light purple mist emanated and circulated around him, instead of floating up in the air. It seemed to affect the Gnoll, as he shook uncomfortably. Whatever it was, it was not body odor.

Eridan then noticed Galle approaching him and the Elves with a pack slung on his back. He quickly forgot about the weird Gnoll, but the thought buried itself in the depths of his mind.

“I have retrieved everything I need for the journey,” Galle declared gruffly. “Shall we go with haste?”

“Certainly, good Galle,” Eridan replied politely. “We shall proceed to the High Cross by the day. You have informed the local Elves of your excursion with us, correct?”

“Yes, and they are all right with it. I told them that along the way, I’ll spread word of the attack to my fellow Druids and send some here for protection.”

“Excellent. Now, we must move on.”

With a brief wave, Eridan’s men and Galle moved into a line behind him, with the Gnoll prisoners by the side. As they proceeded to march towards the forest, brilliant darkness suddenly enveloped the town. The Elves and Galle stopped moving and stared around in confusion as a low howling noise rang out.

Then, the darkness and howl disappeared, and in the middle of the town, a figure in a black cloak and pointy hat appeared, everyone turning towards him. His clothes and face were covered with black ash, but everyone seemed to recognize who the person was.

“Selur Edihnori!” one of the Elves cried out in Elvish.

Frodo stared at the individual in awe, amazed at what had just occurred.

“G… Gan… Gandalf the White? Is that really you?” Frodo stammered.

Gandalf chuckled in response, briefly coughing dust out of his mouth.

“I don’t suppose I am wearing anything of white, am I, dear Frodo?” Gandalf asked.

“Well, um… I guess you’re not.”

“It seems that heavenly intervention has struck once again. Reincarnation seems to be my strong suit instead of my usual spells. Hmmmm… I suppose I should now be known as Gandalf… the Black. It has a weird ring to it, but I shall get used to it. Anyways, shall we depart, Frodo?”

As Gandalf and Frodo left towards the ship by the shores, the people of the Grey Ravens continued about their business, one Elven artist keeping a mental image of Gandalf’s new look to make a painting later.

“Wizards continue to astound me as the years pass,” Galle commented. “What more do I not know of their capabilities?”

“Galle my friend, there is much you don’t know about them,” Eridan replied. “In fact, I know too much.”

“What do you mean by that?” Galle asked quizzically.

“Never mind. That is a story I will most likely tell soon. Men, let’s move onwards. Our Queen awaits our news!”

With that, the Elves and Galle resumed their trek into the forest, unaware of what surprises would rush out towards them.

The High Cross

The High Cross is an Elven spectacle, a well-known landmark with strong historic roots. When the first Elves left Linirea’s Southport in a voyage and discovered this newfound land, they sought to colonize it and make it a beautiful and habitable home. They built lavish houses from the finest of Linirean lumber and paved smooth roads using their shoveling finesse. Elven society had formed in the land peacefully at first, that is, until they attracted the attention of the Gnoll natives.

The Gnolls are a primitive race that have hyena-like body structures (ironically, they are also good allies of the local hyenas), and do little but hunt, eat, and sleep. A few tried to dabble into the occult, with little success, so they just stuck with clubs and firewood. Needless to say, they did not care much about the Elven newcomers at first, so long as they respected their peace and privacy. It was no surprise that it did not last long.

When the Gnolls realized that the Elves were starting to pave new roads through their territory, they became savagely infuriated. They started attacking some of the Elven road builders, who until then had no idea they infringed upon the Gnolls’ home. Despite the Elves’ best efforts to diplomacy, the Gnolls refused to listen to reason. As such, the Elves, despite their reluctance, went into war with the Gnoll tribe, effortlessly cutting them down one by one with their blades and bows. Despite their mass casualties, the Gnolls did not yield.

Finally, an Elven warrior by the name of Eltharion finally solved the dilemma. He gathered all the magic powder he had and formed a small white staff. During one of the small skirmishes, to his fellow Elves’ surprise, he took out the staff and blasted one of the Gnolls. The staff’s magic entered the Gnoll’s mind, amplifying his brain and providing him with knowledge and the capability to read and speak Elvish. Amidst the fray, Eltharion implored the Gnoll to stop fighting, that the Elves did not want this bloody conflict to happen. Understanding his words, the Gnoll spoke to his comrades in Gnollish, finally convincing them to lay down their weapons. The Elves and Gnolls understood one another.

To make amends for the trouble, the Elves rebuilt the Gnolls’ destroyed houses and property, and helped bury the dead, putting kingsfoil on top of each tomb. Eltharion decided to pass his staff to the knowledged Gnoll, explaining how to gather magic and create more staffs. The Gnoll also learned, to his delight, that the staff has the power to bring withered plants back to life. To repay Eltharion and the Elves for such a beautiful gift, the Gnolls built an elaborate bridge that passed through the Moonlight River. The knowledged Gnoll himself constructed a statue of Eltharion near the bridge, as a sign of camaraderie and friendship between the Elves and Gnolls. Nothing could bring them to war again… or so they thought.

A creaking sound could be heard by the High Cross as three green Gnolls lugged a large wooden wagon across the bridge by thick chains. The chains were tied around the wagon, connecting the lock at the very middle, and spikes were adorned on top of the wagon. As they slowly passed by the statue of Eltharion, one of the Gnolls glanced at it with a wistful look on his face.

“How long until we reach the camp?” one of the Gnolls wondered in Gnollish, huffing as he exerted force with his stubby little hands.

“Not long enough,” another Gnoll grumbled back. “We still have a day’s journey until we enter the Elderwilds.”

“And the camp is in the center of the woods,” the third Gnoll pointed out. “We might not arrive until the next dawn.”

The Gnolls reached the end of the bridge, a long winding path still ahead of them. In the distance, a magnificent waterfall could be seen, the descending water pounding and roaring.

“Skyfall Peaks,” the second Gnoll clarified. “What I would give to take a rest there on a floating barrel.”

“Tell that to all the stupid dwarves who died from barrelling off the waterfall,” the first Gnoll said snarkily.

“Dranaeris better give us time off for lugging this prison all the way,” the second Gnoll said, wheezing every other second. “The Perythons are lucky they were not assigned to this task.”

“Dranaeris, giving us respite?” barked the third Gnoll. “He is the opposite of mercy. If anything, he’ll flog us for being too slow.”

“This whole thing we all are doing is hardly merciful,” the first Gnoll retorted. “But orders are orders.”

“Do they even know if the wagon can contain the chieftain?” the second Gnoll asked.

“Who is to say? He’s losing sanity by the day, and is becoming more vicious.”

“All the better to them. It’ll make attacking the capital much easier. Not even she can escape such a mad dog. At this rate, she-.”

The Gnoll was interrupted by commotion from way on the other side of the bridge. He sniffed the air, and his yellow eyes suddenly grew wide with panic.

“Elves!” the first Gnoll yelled. “They are not far behind! And I smell some of our brethren as well.”

“The Elves must have taken some of the attack group hostage from the Grey Ravens!”

“But what are they doing by the High Cross with prisoners?”

“We cannot worry about our comrades,” the third Gnoll declared. “We need to take this wagon to Dranaeris’s camp first!”

He pointed to the first Gnoll.

“You, run to the woods and call the gnawers. We need to hold off the Elves until our job is done. The two of us can drag the wagon ourselves. Hurry!”

The first Gnoll quickly nodded and ran off from the wagon towards the waterfall trail ahead.

“More work… yay,” the second Gnoll groaned.
Last edited by Manijure on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

Re: Kingdom Rush Origins: The Novelization

by Juice Box » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:02 pm

"GANDAAAAAAAAAALLFF!!"
User

by AerisDraco » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:03 pm

GANDAAAAAALFFFF!!!!!!
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ninja » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Manijure wrote:... a female teenage elf asked his father.

Other than that, though, it seems pretty cool. I like how you immediately toss us right into the action of the story, just like how the game immediately throws you into a battle. ;)
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:21 pm

I like to read details that weeren't conveyed in the actual game. This is a chance to fill in gaps about many things in Origins (the history of the Gnomes and why they're so fickle with their alignment, what the Grootslang is, etc.) while also providing a new perspective of what we already know. Therefore, I'm really excited to see the updates from the book master of the forums. ;)
BBB

by Manijure » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Ninja wrote:
Manijure wrote:... a female teenage elf asked his father.

Other than that, though, it seems pretty cool. I like how you immediately toss us right into the action of the story, just like how the game immediately throws you into a battle. ;)

Good eye. It has been edited. And thanks for the compliment!
User

by FastAndBlast » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:23 am

was fun to read :)
I hope you'll make more!
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by Mushmellow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:55 am

Epic... I liked it :D
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:23 am

Nice work :) cant wait to see the continuation.
Every soul is sacred, no one has to die
I just change the pace of inevitability
User

by RZRider » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Nice work. I would of made the first chapter longer, but hey, what do I know.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:57 pm

RZRider wrote:Nice work. I would of made the first chapter longer, but hey, what do I know.

I don't think he's done with chapter 1 yet.
BBB

by RZRider » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Okay. Thank goodness
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by GeminiSparkSP » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 am

Manijure wrote:But I have no one else… Hmmmm…..

Correction there.

This looks promising. I'll definitely keep an eye. A little advice though, you might want to use altered names for characters taken from other media. Frodo already has it in KR1 (Fredo).
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by RZRider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:52 pm

When will the next update be?
User

by Manijure » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:53 pm

RZRider wrote:When will the next update be?

Hopefully by tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know in Discord.
User

by RZRider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:14 pm

Okay
User

by Ninja » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:49 pm

GeminiSparkSP wrote:

Correction there.

In modern speech, what Manijure wrote is a strange occurrence, but it is technically correct.
User

by Manijure » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Ninja wrote:
GeminiSparkSP wrote:

Correction there.

In modern speech, what Manijure wrote is a strange occurrence, but it is technically correct.

I actually intended to say "no one else." Gotta love typos. :P
User

by Ninja » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Manijure wrote:I actually intended to say "no one else." Gotta love typos. :P

OK.
User

by Manijure » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Story has been updated with the entirety of the battle of the Grey Ravens. Hope you enjoy the action! :)
User

Next