CONTEST: Lore

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

CONTEST: Lore

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:55 pm

In 2015, we tried to host a Fanfic contest, where writing a story about the origins of a hero was the subject. It didn't go very well, nobody had the time to write it, despite us pretty much extending the entry time to six months. It's bothered me that we've not tried anything since then, so I'm giving it another stab. This time however, it'll be a lot shorter in length.

Lore. Everyone here seems to be a fan of it, some more so than others, but everyone has their own ideas on the origins of or background behind characters, places or events. So this contest will be a chance to let your imagination run wild.

You are required to write a short explanation on the origins and/or background of three different things. I'm giving you a choice of six different subjects to choose from:

• A Character. This can be any character that has a unique name, or occurs only once within the game. This includes heroes such as Alleria; Bosses such as Nazeru; or one time occurring creatures like Beresad (I am taking the single game as a unique appearance).
  • A Species. Any species (or tribe) that is found in the games. Humans, Dwarves, Goblins, Deep Devils, Fairies, Spiders, etc. Tribes would include groups like Bandits or Savages that are otherwise human.
  • A Tower. Any tower that is found in the games, including special towers that don't operate under the usual four tower means such as the Shrine of Regnos or the Faery Dragon Aerie, factions like the Imperial Knights, and Spells such as Rain of Fire or Call Reinforcements.
  • An Artefact. Any item in the game, such as Gnome Shop purchases, an object that triggers an achivement (like Crystal Skulls) or the main McGuffins like the Tear or Hammer.
  • A Place. Any location in the game that can be visited such as Stormcloud Temple, the Temple of Evil or the Ancient Elven City
  • An Event. Any event that has taken place, either directly (Malagar steals the Hammer of Ages) or indirectly (Vez'nan takes the tear to the Pit of Fire).

You can do any three you wish, but you must choose three different ones. You cannot choose to do, for instance, three Characters.

Final Requirements
  • You must enter three different Tales of Lore, choosing from the six available subjects.
  • Each choice must be a minimum of 200 words but a maximum of 500. Use a Word Counter if you are unsure.
  • You can give your lore a title, but it will not count towards your word count.
  • Spelling and Grammar are important.
  • All entries must be submitted to me via a Private Message.
  • I will accept edits and updates on your entries up until the closing date. Please resend the entire entry and I will use your most recent submission.
  • I need your entire entry in one PM. Sections sent separately will not be counted.
  • Please make your entries original. If you have written Lore in the past, do not resubmit it for the contest.
  • The closing date for entries is February 11th, giving you two weeks to submit entries.
Yes it's me

Re: CONTEST: Lore

by Ruby_Hex » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Lore writing?!?! THIS IS MY DOJO!! (Or not, but I'm excited.)
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by The Kingmaker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:38 pm

*cracks knuckles*
Awwww yeah.

Also I assume all three have to be in different categories.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:45 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:*cracks knuckles*
Awwww yeah.

Also I assume all three have to be in different categories.

It does state that you pick three different categories.
Yes it's me

by Zonoro13 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Oh boi I have a fantastic idea, no one else come up with the same one pls

Also, note that we can't write about the Dragon Throne because it hasn't been visited.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Minuet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:48 am

Zonoro13 wrote:Also, note that we can't write about the Dragon Throne because it hasn't been visited.

We're not worthy enough for Dragon Throne.
Back To The Shadows of Hell ~ Be Quick Or Be Dead ~ Let's Get Shooting ~ Natha Daged Dhaer ~ Clear Your Mind ~ Crimson Skies
User

by AerisDraco » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:08 am

Just in advance, I say we should separate the voting by category.

But this does sound pretty cool.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Zonoro13 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:37 am

We should have best submission voting overall, but we should also have best in each category voting.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:39 am

I can split all the entries so you have to vote for the best of each category and have a second vote for the best overall. We'll just do inpost voting as before, because a Poll won't allow for enough options.
Yes it's me

by GeminiSparkSP » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:33 pm

*rubs hands together*

This gon be gud...

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't read the part about resubmitting your fanfic. That gives me some questions:

I guess Prelude to Shadowmoon and Blood Red Sandstorm can't be submitted?

Is expanding a past lore allowed? Like, the lore in my Hero Joining Point is, well, just that: a simple explanation as to why the heroes join you at whatever point in the games. They were just like 2 or 3 sentences. Are they allowed?

If my lore involves entities from other categories, such as characters, towers, events, etc, does that count?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:39 pm

GeminiSparkSP wrote:
Edit: Oh wait, I didn't read the part about resubmitting your fanfic. That gives me some questions:

I guess Prelude to Shadowmoon and Blood Red Sandstorm can't be submitted?

I added the clause so everyone has the same amount of time to work on their entries. The lore you've written you've done over a long period, so it would be unfair for you to enter something that's been thought up and tweaked over an e tended amount of time.

Is expanding a past lore allowed? Like, the lore in my Hero Joining Point is, well, just that: a simple explanation as to why the heroes join you at whatever point in the games. They were just like 2 or 3 sentences. Are they allowed?

If it's been posted on the forum before then it can't be used. And I'll be able to see if you delete threads just in case you think you can sneak around it.

If my lore involves entities from other categories, such as characters, towers, events, etc, does that count?

Yes, as long as you don't get carried away with the extra subject. Say for example using Faustus to write exclusively about Dragon Throne
Yes it's me

by Ninja » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:40 pm

This sounds fun. I'll try to join. :)
:hero:
User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:20 am

Actually, the writing seems different than I thought. Razor or Chimto wrote those three entries.
-Terry Pratchett

User