MORE HEROES BUT THIS TIME THEY'RE BASED ON STARCRAFT

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

MORE HEROES BUT THIS TIME THEY'RE BASED ON STARCRAFT

by AerisDraco » Fri May 05, 2017 8:07 pm

^^ read the title

I've had these for a while now, just haven't posted them. One for each race, one each week. Simple as that.

Cygn, the Weaponsmith

Appearance:

A burly man dressed in an orange coat. The coat is coated with tools such as bolts, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.

Stats:
HP: 400 (+20) {580}
Melee: 7-15 (+1,+1) {16-24} [Smacks an enemy with a wrench]
Armor: High {70%}
Movement Rate: Slow
Respawn: 30 seconds

Skills:

Inventiveness (Innate)
Gains upgrades for his structures at certain points in the battle. (L1 = 5 mins, L2 = 10 mins, L3 = 15 mins)

Turret (1/2/2) (Passive)
Places up to 3/5/7 turrets around himself, one every 7 seconds.
Turret stats:
HP: Immune
Damage: 1-4 physical (Fires 3 bullets over 1 second, then recharges for 1.75 seconds)
Lasts 50 seconds.

Innate upgrades:
-Larger placement range
-Boosts bullets fired in each cycle to 5
-Places 2 turrets at once

Defense Drone (1/1/1) (Cooldown: 20/17/14 seconds)
Launches a Defense Drone, which shoots down projectiles.
Shoots down one physical projectile every second, and lasts for 8 seconds.
-Lasts for 2 add. seconds
-Can counter magic
-Shoots down 2 projectiles every second

Seeker Cannon (1/2/2) (Cooldown: 30 seconds)
Places a turret which fires missiles at enemies. It fires every 5 seconds, and each missile with track enemies before exploding for 30-60 AoE damage.
-Increased AoE
-Lasts for 5 add. seconds
-Doubles damage

Cleansing Bot (1/2/2) (Cooldown: 35 seconds)
Places a cleansing bot. This structure sprays foam which suppresses special abilities for 10/20/infinite seconds. Fires every 3 seconds, lasts for 9 seconds.
-Lasts for 3 add. seconds
-Doubles fire rate
-Slows affected enemies by 50% for 4.5 seconds

Laser Turret (6/6/6) (Cooldown: 65 seconds)
Places a massive laser turret. Stats as follows:
HP: 1000
Damage: 40-50 true damage every 0.75 seconds (Takes 4/3.5/3/2.5 seconds to acquire new targets)
Armor: 40%
Lasts: Infinite {Automatically destroyed if another is spawned}
Can be upgraded by Cygn, when Innate tiers are reached. Each take up his time (20/17/14/11 seconds), and neither he nor the turret are able to do anything during the period.
-Improved Systems: +10 damage, +10% armor, +100 hp.
-Enhanced AI: The player can use a rally point to select an area for the turret to prioritize.
-Swath Blast: Blasts in an arc, dealing AoE damage.

Cannot heal normally. Can be healed for 1 gold/2 hp. So 500 gold to full heal it.

Playstyle and Tips:
Cygn is focused around staying back and supporting your lines with a variety of defensive structures.
The Turret, the most basic of all, is a simple damager, dealing a bit of damage to soften up enemies. Its Innate upgrades are decent.
The Defense Drone, while a little niche, can be very useful when fighting certain enemies, especially Harassers, and later, Evokers. The Innate upgrades are very important to increase its usefulness.
The Missile Launcher is annoying at first, given that it can't target ground, but it is enough to shred any and all air units, especially considering its splash and damage boost later. It also makes a decent ground counter later.
The Cleansing Bot is also somewhat niche, but can improve effectiveness by stopping abilities. However, given its slow rate of fire, it is necessary to upgrade it to max (in the skill tree) to really get it to become effectiveness. The slow and other upgrades are also nice.
The main piece of Cygn's arsenal, the Laser Turret, can be very powerful when played correctly. In most instances, it becomes a one-time use HS. Given its infinite range, it can shred many small enemies and heavily damage most larger ones. The buffs are also quite powerful, allowing target priorities and AoE damage. The only downside is a lack of regen and the slow firing speed. In many cases, it is better to just replace the turret rather than heal it.

Quotes
-"Good luck with that."
-"Boom baby!"
-"Defense is the best offense."
-"Look at 'er go!"
-"We've been breached!" (on death)

Nezin, the Purifier

Appearance:
A small spherical robot. No visible "face". Glows with orange light, and has silver panels of metal moving around it.
Honestly, just a Disruptor.

Stats:
HP: 290 (+10) {380}
Melee: 42-52 true AoE (+2,+2) {60-70} [Charges for 3 seconds, becoming invulnerable, before exploding. Takes 3 seconds to start recharging.]
Ranged: 10-14 true (+1,+2) {19-32} [Fires a ball of orange light every 1.5 seconds]
Armor: Medium {50%}
Movement Rate: Medium (Can phase up/down cliffs)
Respawn: 30 seconds

Skills:

Note: While not really an innate, every skill of Nezin has a secondary power after waiting or otherwise charging. On active skills, the hero will begin a charging animation and only fire when enemies come in range. Multiple skills may charge at once.

Solar Mines (2/2/2) (Passive)
Plants up to 4/6/8 mines every 8 seconds. When tripped, each mine deals 40/50/60 true AoE damage.
Charge effect: After 20 seconds underground, the mine will trigger above ground, stunning surviving enemies for 2.5 seconds.
Mines, normally white and gold while underground, glow orange when charged.

Solar Flare (2/1/1) (Cooldown: 30/27/24 seconds)
Fires constant pulses of solar energy down a lane for 5 seconds, slowing enemies by 50% while in the AoE. Solar Blast can be active at the same time.
Charge effect: After 10 seconds charging, the Flare destroys 10% of resistances per second spent in the AoE.
Nezin extends semi-circular radio dishes to its sides, which glow yellow when fully charged.

Solar Shield (1/1/2) (Cooldown: 40 seconds)
Creates rotating shields of energy around itself, boosting magic resistance to 50% and adding 100/150/200 shield HP. Shield HP regenerates at 20 hp/s after 4 seconds out of combat.
Charge effect: After the shield is active for 25 seconds, shattering it will heal nearby allies by 33%/66%/100%.
CD doesn't begin until the shield is shattered. Shields are normally orange and glow blue when fully charged.

Solar Blast (3/2/2) (Cooldown: 42 seconds)
Changes into the form of a turret, 'growing' 4 legs and a barrel, and begins to absorb energy.
After absorbing energy from orbit for 2 seconds, fires 1/2/3 concentrated bursts of solar energy, dealing 100 true damage to any enemies struck, and piercing through them.
After charging for 10 seconds, fires a single large wave blast for 2 seconds across a lane, dealing 120/150/180 true damage per second to any enemies caught in the blast radius.
When charged, an orb of energy appears in front of the cannon.

Solar Storm (4/5/6) (Cooldown: 65 seconds)
Hold down on the selected location to charge the Storm.
Fires 15 shots, each dealing 30/40/50/60 AoE true damage.
For every 2 seconds spent charging, adds 1 shot.

Playstyle and Tips:
Nezin is a mixed offensive hero, bulky enough to take a few hits, but also decently powerful in combat.
Nezin's main attacks are decently powerful, but the melee especially is on a very long cooldown, making prolonged melee combat a bad idea.
Solar Mines are an easy source of damage, dealing up to 480 damage from all of them. Decent enough, but it takes a while to set them up fully. However, the charge effect makes it much more powerful, with a good stun from each mine severely impacting enemies.
Solar Flare is a good area denial tool, pushing enemies back in time for other skills to charge. Destroying resistances is also useful, though not for Nezin due to true damage.
Solar Shield dramatically improves bulkiness with a fast-healing shield. Likewise, the charge benefits allies with a full heal, which is always nice.
Solar Blast is the main damage ability, dealing a lot of damage, though not very quickly. The Solar 'wave' is also strong, as it hits many enemies.
Finally, Solar Storm is very nice especially when charged. Even w/o charging, it can deal up to 900 damage in one barrage, and with the quick addition of shots, it gets even more powerful, especially if you can time it both on a chokepoint and start charging before enemies arrive.

Quotes
No quotes. Only beeps and boops.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

Re: MORE HEROES BUT THIS TIME THEY'RE BASED ON STARCRAFT

by Big Bad Bug » Sun May 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Ooh, how exciting! Despite not knowing anything about Starcraft, these are interesting ideas to me. Plus I think that without any bias for the franchise, I can see the hero on its own instead of as an adaptation of something else.

To begin, this hero is extremely tanky. He is virtually as durable as King Denas without needing a skill slot for Sybarite because of his higher health. At least he is slow and has weak damage, but then makes him like Dierdre, especially considering he has an appearance that would suggest low durability.

Inventiveness is quite inventive imaginative. I really like the idea of a hero progressing in power over time, kind of like the classic KR1 hero system while maintaining all the normal upgrade paths for skills in the hero room so that nobody gets disappointed. ;) I have a question about this factors into Turret (nice name) though: If they last for 50 seconds, one spawns every 7 seconds, and up to 7 can exist on the map, then does the maximum increase to 14 after 15 minutes, when 2 turrets are placed at once, or does it stay at 7? If so, then how does that work with the odd number of turrets? By the way, I like the way you timed the skills with 7 x 7 - 49 and the duration for turrets being 50 seconds. :)

Wow, Defense Drone reminds me of a hero skill I made a loooong time ago for the hero nemesis contest. Don't take that the wrong way; I'm no trying to say "I did it first!" or anything like that. I wouldn't care even if you did remember this, which I doubt because most people only remember their own hero ideas. I digress. Cool skill; I wish I knew what the drone looked like and how it decides which projectiles to shoot down, but the idea itself is interesting to read already.

Missile Launcher is both a good and bad idea, but for this hero's overall playstyle, I think it's more of a bad one. The reason why is because he already has invulnerable turrets to place all over the map that will shoot down flying enemies with their pure ranged attack, so Missile Launcher becomes redundant. However, unlike the turrets, the missiles can only strike flying enemies, so it only has a use when the turrets aren't enough. It's too niche to be useful often enough to be valid. I understand that it gains the ability to target the ground after 15 minutes, but 15 minutes of a skill being only useful against flying enemies when another skill is not only more effective but also serves both purposes immediately just isn't balanced. You should just make the skill target ground and airborne enemies immediately and make the 3rd upgrade something else, which would make it stronger and thus less underpowered.

I really like Cleansing Bot because unlike a lot of the other silence skills in the game, this one is an AOE. Magical enemies almost always come in groups that require an AOE silence to stop them all. I get that the point is to choose to silence the most dangerous enemy, but hero targeting is too stupid in KRO for that to be a possibility. So, this AOE spray that occurs multiple times is the perfect solution to any possible AI flaws. Plus, it works great for the hordes of Twilight Scourgers that the game loves to spam. All of the Inventiveness upgrades are great too.

Finally, Laser Turret is an awesome hero spell. It's epic, powerful, functions in a way that encourages using it intelligently (targeting higher-health enemies makes it waste less time choosing new targets because they run out of HP), and has a repair and upgrade mechanic that I both like. I don't see myself ever repairing it - I hate spending extra gold - but the upgrades are something I'll get immediately when possible.

I see this hero as a map-wide support hero, generating turrets all over the map to attack enemies, protecting soldiers from attacks with his drone as well as his own tanky stats, and nullifying enemy powers through Cleansing. Beyond the suggestions that I already gave to improve his Missile Launcher skill, I can't say much that's bad about him. Support heroes are typically pretty lame so this is refreshing. On top of that, the progression of his power over the course of a level is a really nice addition and you essentially used your strength, tower ideas, to make an awesome hero. :D
BBB

by AerisDraco » Sun May 14, 2017 5:55 pm

The turret cap is always 7. However, since I guess I'm thinking of it in the context of Bloon's Engineer, if the cap is reached and Cygn is ready to make a turret, the oldest turret disappears. Easier to manage, I guess.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Point_defense_drone

Curses. Guess I'll have to think up something new.

Good, glad you like it.

Yay, I did good.

Also, since I forgot to post this on Friday, here's the next hero, Nezin.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by PitNata » Sun May 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Have the same thoughts as the BBB does. They are very pretty tools of war ;)

Uh... can I borrow your Cygn idea? Just wanted to try making this hero in Starcraft himself, if you won't mind.
I'm modding Kingdom Rush. :geek:
User

by AerisDraco » Sun May 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Like make it in the actual game? You have the ability to do that? *whistles*
I mean this guy is almost literally Swann with some tweaks, so....
I'm totally fine with it.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by PitNata » Mon May 15, 2017 4:14 am

AerisDraco wrote:Like make it in the actual game? You have the ability to do that? *whistles*

More or less, I do. It isn't hard at all really, if you get used to it, in time. :)
I'm modding Kingdom Rush. :geek:
User

by The Kingmaker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:27 pm

I apologise for not getting to this sooner, now let's get to work:

First up: Cygn, the weaponsmith
Wow! What a different and interesting hero. I can really visualise him being and working on the battlefield (despite his somewhat basic appearance description - I'm dying for more on that front).
The powers themselves are really cool. I'm not certain in any way how Iventiveness works and how it upgrades throughout the level. Is it him being close to a creation and upgrading it? I don't really get it I'm afraid, and as lots of the powers hinge on it...
I'll try my best:

The turrets seem simple and very intuitive in how a player can manage their placement and mould their defence around them, the infinite health (are they just not attacked I assume) and 50 seconds could be a bit but the low damage and strategic options benefit from the long lasting nature of the turrets.
The defence drone is an excellent idea that I'm stealing the core concept of for something in the future. Thanks. It seems to only shoot down 8 projectiles (but is greatly enhanced by the mysterious improvements) and again I can really imagine it being and working in the game.
I'm a little sparse on information on the cannon so I'm not sure why I can say. It seems like a cool idea but I don't know how long it lasts (5 seconds?) or what it looks like, or what type of damage it deals. But it is cool.
Cleansing bot. What a cool name. I like the concept, but it's basically an infinite area silence? Cool, although not what I'd expected. I think lowering damage (and thus increasing the survivablilty of the laser bot) would be awesome, with an infinite silence as a cool add-on. Whatever? I won't complain (although aren't the ranged attacks of harassers an ability, it kinda contradicts the defence not)

Finally Big Laser Gun: love it. Love all of it. Apart from capitalism - im not sold on the idea of spending gold on repairing a "tower". Just another suggestion, but perhaps the upgrades could heal it, and despite it being max-upgraded it could be "repaired" for a shorter period to heal it some more.

Regardless, this is cool. I'm itching for more tbh. Lore, appearance, power descriptions, anything you can give me.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by AerisDraco » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Ingenuity or whatever I named the innate passively upgrades all existing and future structures, bar the laser gun, at the times listed.

The hero is mostly based on Rory Swann from, you guessed it, Starcraft, so you can look him up for "art".

Seems I didn't put a time for the seeker cannon. Perhaps 10 or 15 seconds. Look up a firing gif of the Terran Raven.

Hmm. The capitalism is meant to give the tough choice of sacrificing the upgrades or dealing with a low HP turret.

As for lore, etc. I'm not sure.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic