Dwarven City ideas

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Dwarven City ideas

by kilele » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:18 am

After reading this post of mastermoo123 about a dwarven city in the elven city thread, I've decided to post here my unfinished hero for the last fanmade hero contest. I didn't manage to put some cool skills, anyway there you have my entry. It has a great description that Redbull made for me! Thanks Redbull!

Please post your crazy ideas to create a dwarven city.

Name:
Ferendin Robotteer, champion of the dwarven machinical tournaments.

Class:
Female Dwarven Defender.

Profession:
Pilot of transformer mecha robots.

Game mechanics:
- The pilot transforms her robot into different types of mecha.
- There are two hero buttons, one for each mecha transformation.
- After every transformation there is a cooldown of 10 seconds during which the robot form is locked.
(corresponding button disabled)

Robots:
The pilot is always visible within the transformer structure of reinforced cables.
- Desert Saurer (godzilla)
Slow, two times faster than an earth elemental;blocks many enemies due to its big size;Behold! it has to fight many at once and be ready for multiple impacts!
- Blader Rex (tyranosaurus rex)
Fast like a wulf;stops one enemy at a time but attacks many at once with its multiple blades, charges up at a distance delivering fast and heavy hits;warning: bladed attack is divided between all enemies in range.

Description :
by Redbull
The Barbaric Dwarven Tribes of Linirea fear this masterful warrior of Arena. The mechanical Tournaments have been an Ancient Dwarven tradition since the beginning of Time and Ferendin embodies all the cruelty and savage power that it stands for. May this unforgiving husk of destruction find mercy to kill you quickly for escaping alive is out of the question.

Stats :
stats link
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
At the end of the experiment, you will be baked and then there will be cake.
User

Re: Dwarven City ideas

by SilasLock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:14 pm

I guess heroes are okay, but I'd rather see stuff like stage specific towers and positive/negative stage additions. I'm imagining a stage in the same color scheme as a Skyrim Dwarven ruin, lots of fallen columns, and a couple of dwarven stage specific towers. Definitely I'd want to see Dwarf Halls and Dwarf Bastions make a return, but now I have a better idea.

You know how stage specific towers never seem to upgrade? They always let you train mercenaries or have special abilities, but they always function like a level 4 tower, never upgrading to something new. I think a Dwarven stage could change that. Lets say you have a Dwarf Hovel, which is a much weaker tower than the Dwarf Hall that we saw in the Dark Descent stage, as a VERY common recurring stage-specific tower. Its colored deep bronze, like the metal of Dwarves in Skyrim. It can be directly upgraded then to a Dwarf Hall, which is the tower we saw in the Dark Descent and would change from a deep bronze color to the silvery color of the Dwarf Hall.

Dwarf Bastions would have the same thing happen to them. You could have a tower by a different name, lets say Dwarf Turret for the sake of example, be weaker than a Dwarf Bastion and be colored deep bronze, but then upgrade to the silvery colored Dwarf Bastion just as a Level 3 tower could upgrade to a Level 4. This would be the case for every single stage specific tower, in order to indicate that you were turning the old, rusty city into something new. This means very few normal tower spots, too. This could be almost entirely focused on stage specific towers and rebuilding the city, and that you might only have two normal tower slots in the entire stage. In Iron mode, this would restrict the player to only using Dwarves further, and make it so you could only build Dwarven Towers, such as bombards and howitzers.

Some more ideas to fit in with this ''change of color scheme'' theme: You could have a stage specific tower that is a long pipeline trailing along the wall of this underground cavern, initially a deep bronze color. The pipe starts off screen or inside of a wall and ends at the edge of the track that the enemies follow. You can upgrade it to shoot fire out the end into the track in a straight line constantly, dealing damage to enemies that pass through the flames in order to continue along the track. When upgraded it will also change color, and it is long and goes all over the wall of the stage because that makes more of the stage change color. Make sense?

The track could change over time. Perhaps some executioner chops down some rusty pipes leading past your flame shooting pipe towers, which would turn them into a more short term investment, but yeah. Those are my current ideas on a Dwarven level. Color change from deep bronze to silver, LOTS of stage specific towers, even if they all are the same kind, and very few spots to put your usual assortment of wizards and sharpshooters.

Thoughts?
I have mad skills, but more mad than skills.
ImageImage
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 pm

I think there are two types of dwarves, perhaps between the ones that live in the Ice Mountains in KR and those that live in the caverns in KRF. Let's assume the dwarf towers you get are the same dwarves from KR.

In KR, the Dwarves are builders and tinkerers. Look at their towers, they have massive bomb cannons, missile launchers, explosives, electrical disruptors, ground thumpers, drills, and mechanised robot units. The dwarves in KRF are more like the dwarves we see in things like Lord of the RIngs. They wear heavy armour and have fortress like towers. These are clearly two different cultures. I'd like to see the KR dwarf city (which I plan to write into my fic spoilersspoilersspoilersspoilers womg!) but as things are so far talking about the KRF dwarves, I'll go on that.

But I just got in from work, so this is my 2 cents, I'l reply again when I've had a sit down and chillax.
Yes it's me

by SilasLock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:I think there are two types of dwarves, perhaps between the ones that live in the Ice Mountains in KR and those that live in the caverns in KRF. Let's assume the dwarf towers you get are the same dwarves from KR.

In KR, the Dwarves are builders and tinkerers. Look at their towers, they have massive bomb cannons, missile launchers, explosives, electrical disruptors, ground thumpers, drills, and mechanised robot units. The dwarves in KRF are more like the dwarves we see in things like Lord of the RIngs. They wear heavy armour and have fortress like towers. These are clearly two different cultures. I'd like to see the KR dwarf city (which I plan to write into my fic spoilersspoilersspoilersspoilers womg!) but as things are so far talking about the KRF dwarves, I'll go on that.

But I just got in from work, so this is my 2 cents, I'l reply again when I've had a sit down and chillax.

I agree with your interpretation of the dwarves; the KRF ones are VERY different than the KR ones. I'd prefer to see this Dwarf level be in KRF, and expand on what we saw in the Dark Descent. Why? Because there is so much exploration to be done there. We could see a proud race struggling to cling to an old way of life, who are beset by monsters in their homeland but refuse to leave even though it may be their undoing. A great chance to see so much culture, some great architecture, and of course lots and lots of mithril.

This might turn into a tangent, but I've gotta go deeper on the mithril. I think that dwarves and their metalworking is the coolest thing about them. Much as I love to see the machines they build in KR, I love even more how you could coat the Dwarf Bastion's bullets in mithril, or give the Dwarves in the Dwarf Hall mithril armor and hammers. What I'd really like to see is Elves using Dwarven metalwork, but that might be too much to ask for, so I'll just say that the Dwarves have so much potential and like the Elven city idea, this is the next big thing that Ironhide should work on after they clean up all the projects currently on the table. This topic here as an update for KRF, and the Elven city as an update for KR.

Just my 2 cents. So now we have, you know, 4 cents in total in this topic. Yay. :lol:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P :D :D :D :D
ImageImage
User

by mastermoo123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Cool we pretty much have the setting down now on to the enemies we have to have Saurians the dwarves age old enemy the second family of enemies they fight should either be Elven Scum ( Because elves never helped us in KRF and since this is after the events of KR due to the limited connection they could have rebelled ) or Wulfmen ( Do you remember a bit back with the enemy competition and the Raikan they were wolfmen so why can't we have these ) .

As for the heroes Rurin Longbeard has to make a reappearance that hero you made was for KR not KRF and we've decided that this is for KRF so you might need to remake it as dwarfs are one of my favourite races in games and I have elves since I joined fantasy games I strongly approve of these ideas .

Talking of hating elves way back in the day when I played WoW me and some people had a guild of people who despised elves our group meeting consisted of talking elf hate and discussing elves in other games and why we hated them yeah I've had some pretty weird times in WoW .

Just my 2 penny's
Last edited by mastermoo123 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ʊքօռ ȶɦɛ ʍօֆȶ ǟռƈɨɛռȶ օʄ քօաɛʀ
ɨ ɦօʟɖ ȶɦɛ ɨʍʍօʀȶǟʟ ɛռɛʀɢʏ
ɨ ֆʊʍʍօռ ȶɦɛ ɢօɖ օʄ ƈօաֆ
ǟռɖ ɮɛƈօʍɛ ɦɨʍ ʍʏֆɛʟʄ!
User

by Cheesecake » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:27 pm

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR MY TWO CENTS

So here's what I'm thinking for this so far. For enemies it would definitely be good to bring the Saurians back, with maybe one or two new ones. But another type of enemy, which would go along with KRF's endless amounts of LOTR references, is to have enemies similar to those in the Mines of Moria. Not the goblins and orcs, but the whole dug-too-deep-and-awoke-an-ancient-evil thing. So a new kind of infernal, hellish enemy would be interesting. The levels should definitely expand the Dark Descent, and in my opinion head towards the Rift of Cinders, where the boss will be faced. I think the best way is to make this similar to the Rising Tides campaign: On the first level, the Dwarves are attacked by Saurians, as well as small groups of evil hellish enemies, as mentioned before. The second and third levels will all the about stopping the demons and their evil overlord. So first level: Basically right next to the Dark Descent, where Dwarves mining from a vein rich in Mithril have disturbed a Saurian nest. At some point in the level a new entrance appears where the demon guys come out of.
Second level: You venture further into the Unending Range to fight off the demon forces that attack you. No more Saurians, only demons.
Third level: The Rift of Cinders. Here you have to fight the full force of the demon army, including their commander. Most of this level will be lava, with very limited places for towers. Here's a nice idea for a level addition: One of the paths will be a pool of lava, which will spawn demons made of rock, fire and lava(not magma elementals).

:idea: Also, the Rift of Cinders would be a nice place to have maybe one KR Dwarf tower. Maybe a Big Bertha or a Tesla? What do you think? :D :yey:
If you need something done if the Fan Fiction section, please bother me with it so I feel important.
If you don't know who that is, I'll kill you.
Indiana Jones hero made by RazorLeaf :D :D :D

by kilele » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 pm

in krf the dwarven world is invaded by saurians right ? both dwarfs and demons are neighbours and norse legends, right ? so another alternative would be make them allies as in epicazeroth's hellraiser tower where you have a pact with norse mythology demons (ice and fire), also dwarfs are known by their immense fortune so there could be new game mechanics based on using gold. At last we could have a good excuse to play as a baddie, oh well apart from the necromacer tower.
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by Cheesecake » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 pm

kilele wrote:in krf the dwarven world is invaded by saurians right ? both dwarfs and demons are neighbours and norse legends, right ? so another alternative would be make them allies as in epicazeroth's hellraiser tower where you have a pact with norse mythology demons (ice and fire), also dwarfs are known by their immense fortune so there could be new game mechanics based on using gold. At last we could have a good excuse to play as a baddie, oh well apart from the necromacer tower.

Maybe there could be a level-specific Dwarf/Demon tower then?
If you need something done if the Fan Fiction section, please bother me with it so I feel important.

by SilasLock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 am

Cheesecake wrote:AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR MY TWO CENTS

So here's what I'm thinking for this so far. For enemies it would definitely be good to bring the Saurians back, with maybe one or two new ones. But another type of enemy, which would go along with KRF's endless amounts of LOTR references, is to have enemies similar to those in the Mines of Moria. Not the goblins and orcs, but the whole dug-too-deep-and-awoke-an-ancient-evil thing. So a new kind of infernal, hellish enemy would be interesting. The levels should definitely expand the Dark Descent, and in my opinion head towards the Rift of Cinders, where the boss will be faced. I think the best way is to make this similar to the Rising Tides campaign: On the first level, the Dwarves are attacked by Saurians, as well as small groups of evil hellish enemies, as mentioned before. The second and third levels will all the about stopping the demons and their evil overlord. So first level: Basically right next to the Dark Descent, where Dwarves mining from a vein rich in Mithril have disturbed a Saurian nest. At some point in the level a new entrance appears where the demon guys come out of.
Second level: You venture further into the Unending Range to fight off the demon forces that attack you. No more Saurians, only demons.
Third level: The Rift of Cinders. Here you have to fight the full force of the demon army, including their commander. Most of this level will be lava, with very limited places for towers. Here's a nice idea for a level addition: One of the paths will be a pool of lava, which will spawn demons made of rock, fire and lava(not magma elementals).

:idea: Also, the Rift of Cinders would be a nice place to have maybe one KR Dwarf tower. Maybe a Big Bertha or a Tesla? What do you think? :D :yey:

Absolute yes to all of this EXCEPT the KR dwarf tower at the end. If the devs are going to mix KR and KRF towers, they need to do so in the most epic way possible, and doing this will make them unable to include them in any other format. I just don't like it. However, everything else is epic. I want to see that balrog type dude, or guys that they dug too deep and have to fight underground. Totally down with that. :)
ImageImage
User

by mastermoo123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:44 pm

6 Cents and 2 Pennies we could make a living of this
ɨ ֆʊʍʍօռ ȶɦɛ ɢօɖ օʄ ƈօաֆ
ǟռɖ ɮɛƈօʍɛ ɦɨʍ ʍʏֆɛʟʄ!
User

by mastermoo123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:50 pm

Look in the background it's a a dwarven city like construction possibly suggesting themed levels
ɨ ֆʊʍʍօռ ȶɦɛ ɢօɖ օʄ ƈօաֆ
ǟռɖ ɮɛƈօʍɛ ɦɨʍ ʍʏֆɛʟʄ!
User

by Cheesecake » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:17 pm

SilasLock wrote:
Cheesecake wrote:AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR MY TWO CENTS

Absolute yes to all of this EXCEPT the KR dwarf tower at the end. If the devs are going to mix KR and KRF towers, they need to do so in the most epic way possible, and doing this will make them unable to include them in any other format. I just don't like it. However, everything else is epic. I want to see that balrog type dude, or guys that they dug too deep and have to fight underground. Totally down with that. :)

Then what if they either
-Changed the skills and damage but kept the towers
-Kept all the skills but changed the appearance

by mastermoo123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 pm

I JUST WANT TO BIG BERTHA SAURIAN IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK
ɨ ֆʊʍʍօռ ȶɦɛ ɢօɖ օʄ ƈօաֆ
ǟռɖ ɮɛƈօʍɛ ɦɨʍ ʍʏֆɛʟʄ!
User

by SilasLock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Cheesecake wrote:The what if they either

Those are both good workarounds. As long as they are fundamentally different enough from KR towers so that they could be implemented later on in a more epic way. :)

And no, Mastermoo. Big Bertha-ing a saurian is not too much too ask. ;)
ImageImage
User

by Cheesecake » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:11 pm

SilasLock wrote:
Cheesecake wrote:The what if they either

Those are both good workarounds. As long as they are fundamentally different enough from KR towers so that they could be implemented later on in a more epic way. :)

And no, Mastermoo. Big Bertha-ing a saurian is not too much too ask. ;)

I only think with the things I suggest people will say "YOU GUYS SUCK! YOU AREN'T CREATIVE! I TOTALLY DIDN'T WANT KR'S TOWERS IN KRF I JUST WANT TO SHOUT AT YOU!"

by kilele » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Cheesecake wrote:Third level: The Rift of Cinders. Here you have to fight the full force of the demon army, including their commander. Most of this level will be lava, with very limited places for towers. Here's a nice idea for a level addition: One of the paths will be a pool of lava, which will spawn demons made of rock, fire and lava(not magma elementals).

I should update my thread for a demon stage with some of these ideas. ^^
I've just remembered some of my suggestions about magma :
manta over a magma sea

magma manta as an invisible trap plus mobile towers with rally-point floating over a magma sea

more about mobile towers over floating platforms

BTW on the last link's thread you can find a suggestion by dimumurray about 'fog of war' that, I think, inspired the bluegale's storm ability.

I think the magma manta trap could be fun, a sort of puzzle visible only at certain moments to be memorized. Now it remembers me of this movie scene where Murphy has to guess which platforms are safe :
The Golden Child - There's No Ground Here
More ideas for special underground towers to discover or change the enemies' motion could be a lighthouse tower in a dark stage, and a tower to create silence and destroy visible sound waves emitted by howling catpeople enemies (see my demon bat (cave terrain) suggestion)
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User