Elven expansion ideas

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Elven expansion ideas

by Sanzuwu13 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:13 am

At risk of offending the dwarven anti-elf league, I have some ideas for an elven-themed expansion for KRF. It would be forest-themed and would have both high/light/Seelie and dark/Unseelie elves (coming perhaps more off of Celtic and Celtic-influenced than Norse ideas of light and dark elves, as I do not envision the dark elves as being remotely like dwarves); it would have heavy nostalgia to the first game but also new material. The enemies would be folks trying to overthrow the elves and destroy their forest and may include demons as well as mortals. I envision the elves as wielding primarily bows and blades also having magical capabilities. Heroes would probably be a further developed Alleria (skills maybe her original two, plus a poison passive, improved health regen (from magic and/or herbs), and chance to dodge ranged attacks?) and a Dark Fey hero (maybe with an armor-piercing skill and a curse to lower armor; possibly a magic damage-over-time skill?). Special towers could include Sylvan Elf Hall, Half-elven Rangers (Rangers Hideout, I think half-elven is likely accurate because of the Ranger's superhuman attack speed and their magical forest powers), and a barracks type tower training Shadow Archers (which I think are definitely Fey, with their glowing eyes and magic resistance. The Necromancers came over to our side, why not Shadow Archers too?). I'm thinking that there would actually be two boss stages, which would be at the Summer and Winter Courts. The Seelie and Unseelie queens (Titania and Mab perhaps?) could be stage specific heroes for their respective courts.
Last edited by Sanzuwu13 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Location: Ha'Kraj Plateau, recruiting trolls and half-trolls for the forces of good

Re: Elven expansion ideas

by Zonoro13 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 am

This is a great idea, and you should put your ideas here.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3976
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Finwer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:This is a great idea, and you should put your ideas here.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3976

thanks zonoro ;)
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Sanzuwu13 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 am

Zonoro13 wrote:This is a great idea, and you should put your ideas here.
http://www.ironhidegames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=3976

There are three reasons why I didn't.
1) I am new to the forums here and hadn't seen that topic until you posted the link. :)
2) I do have somewhat different ideas: bringing elves to KRF rather than expanding on them in the first game, and both light and dark elves fight on our side.
3) With all due respect to those illustrious users that have been on the forum much longer than I have, that topic has degenerated into a state where most likely nothing in that thread will ever be taken seriously ever again.
User

Location: Ha'Kraj Plateau, recruiting trolls and half-trolls for the forces of good

by Sanzuwu13 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 am

That said, I think I'll explain why I think my idea would be better put in KRF than KR and elaborate some on my ideas for the enemies. (This would not preclude a different elven expansion in KR, much like Shadowmoon and Blackburn, when they've completed Blackburn, that is.) I'm thinking of human enemies-rather than orcish. I think the world would be a better place if the orcs and others tried to get along (that brings up a possibility. Maybe some orcish/goblinoid stage-specific stuff as well as elven? It would kinda make sense, orcs like wolves and worgs, and wolves and worgs like forest, and might ally with elves if the forest was under outside threat.) But in any case, I'm not thinking about orcish _enemies_. Rather I'm thinking about KRF type human enemies trying to destroy the forest and spread their desert territory. Maybe some demons, definitely some spiders. Demons wouldn't necessarily make it a KR1 theme, as Nazeru and the Lesser Effreeti are demons, right? And spiders were in both games.

This sound good, guys?
User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:09 am

I suppose.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by truteal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 pm

I'd like to see Elves riding on giant Stag Beetles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle
User

by Chimto » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 am

truteal wrote:I'd like to see Elves riding on giant Stag Beetles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle

They don't have rib cages, the weight of the elf would crush them.

Why bother? A wizard did it.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Sanzuwu13 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:59 pm

truteal wrote:I'd like to see Elves riding on giant Stag Beetles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle

:lol: :lol: :lol:
As Chimto pointed out, that wouldn't work. Hilarious idea though! :)
User

by SilasLock » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 am

Sanzuwu13 wrote:3) With all due respect to those illustrious users that have been on the forum much longer than I have, that topic has degenerated into a state where most likely nothing in that thread will ever be taken seriously ever again.

WHOA! I just checked that thread, its literally in flames! :o

I agree with you, a fresh start is a better idea. And...

Welcome to the forums! :mrgreen:
I have mad skills, but more mad than skills.
ImageImage
User

by Zonoro13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:45 am

Wow. That topic should be in a forum with rubber walls.
Lets leave the ruins alone and start fresh here.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by truteal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:59 am

Chimto wrote:

They don't have rib cages, the weight of the elf would crush them.

Why bother? A wizard did it.

They could ride on the wing case
User

by Sanzuwu13 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:43 am

As my thoughts evolve slightly, here's what I'm thinking. I've numbered my point because this will be a long post.

1: Location and climate. Temperate, comparable to Silveroak Forest with some conifers added, but further east, just north of the Footless Desert.

2: No demons and no spiders. Demons would be more relevant for expansion of dark wastes; I'm thinking the enemies are trying to expand the desert. Spiders LIKE forest and wouldn't be seeking its destruction.

3: No orcish troops. While I still like the idea, I think that would best be something for a different expansion, as this one would already have a number of other major elements to focus on.

4: Alleria Swiftwind. Call of the Wild, active, same as first game. Multishot, active, similar to the first game, possibly dealing true damage. Poison ability (need cooler name for this one), passive, much lower damage than Rangers Hideout Poison Arrows, but longer duration and can stack; this would be more of a single-target ability than a way of spreading out the damage. Fey Agility, passive, increasing chance to dodge ranged attacks. Healing, passive, communion with nature and knowledge of herbs providing massive regeneration. Alleria would still not have the highest DPS of all the heroes, but with the last two abilities she would gain decent survivability, especially against ranged enemies. More on balance later.

5: As yet unnamed Dark Elf hero. Would have bow attack with lackluster DPS, but compensated for by abilities; run speed similar to Alleria's. Curse of Weakness, active, AOE, low magic damage, temporarily reduce enemy armor and magical resist by 1/2/2 levels; higher levels increase AOE. Curse of Slowness, active, AOE, low magic damage, temporarily reduce enemy move speed by increasing amount. Headshot, active, deals high physical damage to a single target with a chance of instakill; upgrades increase both damage and instakill chance. Dark Vitality, passive, increasing health boost, first level with armor boost. Insidious Shadow, passive, dark magic-based abilities also apply a curse that deals magical damage over time; damage increases with level.

6: Stages and stage specific content. Four levels, the last two, set at the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, both being boss stages. Sylvan Elf Hall, same as in Silveroak Forest in the first game. Halfelven Rangers, Ranger's Hideouts from the first game. Shadow Elf Hall, trains Shadow Archers, basically Sylvan Elf Hall with nerfed DPS but with passive reduction of one armor or magic resist level, depending on the enemy hit. Stage specific hero for Seelie Court stage, high elf queen, possibly named Titania; essentially an elven paladin with high health and armor but not the best damage; abilities would be a heal and a damage boost affecting nearby towers. Stage specific hero for Unseelie Court stage, dark elf queen, possibly named Mab; more damage oriented than Titania with lower health and armor but high damage from wielding twin blades; abilities would be a whirlwind attack dealing decent damage in melee AOE and a short (but not melee) range attack stunning a single target and dealing magical damage.

7: Enemies present. Desert Thugs, Dune Raiders, Desert Archers, Dune Terrors, Immortals, and Sand Wraiths (and resultingly Fallen) from the previous desert levels. Desert Bandits, essentially Dune Raiders with medium magic resist instead of low physical armor, would probably be the most common enemy in this campaign. Desert Shamans, healing aura, ranged magic attack, high magical resist; while they will appear more like Sand Wraiths, they will in terms of gameplay be more like a more powerful version of a cross between a Shaman from the first game and a Witch Doctor from Frontiers. Desert Warmages, ranged magic attack, medium magic resist; they wouldn't have extra abilities like Sand Wraiths or Desert Shamans do, but their attack would be considerably higher. Desert Marauders, a little like Marauders from the first game, but with much more health and physical armor and with AOE attack; they would effectively be the half-way point between a Yeti/Gorillon/Saurian Brute and a Dark Slayer/Bloodshell. I am not sure what the bosses would be yet, but probably at least one of them would be a powerful mage of some sort.

8: Gameplay balance. Most enemies resist magic, but the Desert Marauders have high physical armor, preventing the player from winning by simply spamming . The bulk of the enemies favor physical damage, the marauders true and magical damage; all would favor armor debuffs. Alleria with Healing and Fey Agility would be ideal to go up against the ranged magic users, but her Wildcat would perish quickly; also, even with her poison ability, she wouldn't deal super awesome damage against the marauders. The Dark Elf archer hero would have poor regular and curse DPS, and her armor wouldn't protect her from spellcasters; however, Headshot would be very effective, especially against mages, and her Curses of Slowness and Weakness would be very useful to soften up all the enemies for towers to deal with.
User

by Finwer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 pm

i really like your idea guys i think the expansion definetly should be in KR,not in KRF
i the first game we allready have the forest theme,the Silveroak Outpost and Alleria.....why move them in another game?
beside that...desert enemies figting with elves??? this would be total wrong...totally new forest-typed enemies+spiders+wulves and other things
User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 pm

I think this is a great idea for KRF. It brings back the nostalgia of Silveroak Forest Outpost and Alleria, but it would have completely different enemies and a different background. I think you have too many bonus heroes, there is one per update maximum so far.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Sanzuwu13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:42 am

Zonoro13 wrote:I think this is a great idea for KRF. It brings back the nostalgia of Silveroak Forest Outpost and Alleria, but it would have completely different enemies and a different background. I think you have too many bonus heroes, there is one per update maximum so far.

In addition to the nostalgia, I think this would be good for KRF because it would mean an expanded version of Alleria with persistent stats—one of the very few things that could be cooler than Alleria is already. As for the stage-specific heroes, that's because I was thinking that two of the stages would be the Seelie and Unseelie courts, which each have their own queen; both would also be boss stages, though inspiration has not yet struck for what the bosses would be like.

A further thought—we might find out in this campaign a little more about Alleria's back story, how she fits into elven society. Is she a regular elf commoner? The bastard child of an elven noble with a half-elven ranger? A rebellious princess?
User

by Finwer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:22 pm

NO ELVES ARE IN KR NOT IN KRF,I SUGGEST THEM TO BE IN THE FIRST GAME!
User

by Zonoro13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Finwer wrote:NO ELVES ARE IN KR NOT IN KRF,I SUGGEST THEM TO BE IN THE FIRST GAME!

But nostalgia!
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Finwer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:
Finwer wrote:NO ELVES ARE IN KR NOT IN KRF,I SUGGEST THEM TO BE IN THE FIRST GAME!

But nostalgia!

NO NOSTALGIA FOR YOU KID!!!
User

by Sanzuwu13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Finwer wrote:
Zonoro13 wrote:

But nostalgia!

NO NOSTALGIA FOR YOU KID!!!

Wow, I thought the thread for my idea would disintegrate into an argument over elves vs. dwarves. I wasn't expecting a fight between elf lovers...
User

Next