Hero Towers

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Hero Towers

by kevin32 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:18 am

Hero towers are advanced towers that are custom-made for each hero. There are several ways they can be used in the game to expand player options while maintaining some level of balance. Here are a few:

Option 1: The hero gets the buff. Here, the hero can build one hero tower that he then occupies (ranged heroes stand in their tower, while melee heroes have a rally point radius to keep them near their tower). That hero then gets a buff like greater attack range, higher attack damage, or activate skills more frequently. If the tower is sold, then the hero goes back to the road and uses their normal skills. Alternatively, the hero can be given unique skills that can only be used if they are in/near their tower. Warbot has some interesting ideas for how this can work in his Path of a hero thread.

Option 2: The tower gets the buff. Here, rather than focusing on the hero, it is the tower that is given skills that can be upgraded like other advanced towers. So the hero is attacking using the tower, and not necessarily their own skills. A good example of this would be say, Bolin riding in a Battle Mecha. Again, if the tower is sold, the hero goes back to using their normal skills on the road.

Option 3: Hero and tower hybrid: Here, both hero and tower use their unique skills in a synergistic way. So Alleria might use her normal attack skills, while her tree tower traps nearby enemies. Or combos can be used, so when Alleria's tower traps an enemy, she uses a special attack that deals higher damage on that foe.

And since these are hero towers, I would like to suggest that they have some distinguishing attributes that make them stand out from other advanced towers. Here are some ideas:

• When a hero tower is first built, it already starts as a level 4 advanced tower.

• Hero towers can have a persistent effect instead of at intervals. So Alleria's tree tower continuously sprouts roots to trap nearby enemies. The ground near Elora's ice tower is always frozen to slow nearby enemies. And Alric's sand tower cause dust clouds that blind nearby enemies.

How would you like to see hero towers used in-game?

Last edited by kevin32 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 am, edited 26 times in total.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

Re: Hero Towers

by wailwail » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 am

Hi guys this is my first post in the forum !

Ok , there is only one thing i can say about this idea . awesome :!: i support this :!:
--------------------------------------------

Here are some examples :
Alric : With a tower like this , and being supported by 5 ( upgrade able ) sand warriors ( see upgrade list below ) and of course can be controlled with rally points
Upgrades :
1 -When a sand warrior dies , he spread sand over the enemy that killed him stunning him for 2 / 3 / 4 s and slowing enemies near him for 1 / 2 / 3 s ( just like Elora Wintersong Ability - but with sand , not ice )
2 - Increase sand warriors armor to Low / Medium / high

Mirage : With a tower like assassin's , standing on top of it and throwing her blades at the enemies while 3 ( upgrade able ) Assassins block the enemies
Upgrades : Just like the assassin's Tower upgrades

Cronan : This time , he has a tower like the spear wielding women in the savages forest stage . and just like he was upgraded by hero coins , if he upgraded his bird , he will have one , if he didn't he won't .
Upgrades :
1 - Summon 1 / 2 / 2 tigers with 140 / 180 / 220 health and 3-7 / 7-11 / 11-15 damage ( they are tigers , they have high damage ) and with no armor that act exactly like Boars
2 - Summon 2 / 3 / 4 random animals all over the battlefield in random locations that fight and block the enemies

Grawl : In a tower made of crystal and rock , he can be controlled with rally points
Upgrades :
1 - 1 / 2 Rock Creatures spawn on top of the tower that does the same damage as the tribal axethrowers and with the same firing speed
2 - Randomly ( i mean no cooldown time ) , Crystal comes out of the ground that does the same damage as the DWAARP " Core Drill " ability

Bruxa : A tower like the tribal axethrowers , she stands on top of it
1 - After an enemy die , a Kill-able by enemies skull with 1 / 1 health stays there and after 7 / 5 seconds it disappears and a Voodoo Warrior will be placed in the skull place , he has the same health and damage as the savage warrior , can automatically heal like barracks and won't eat dead corpses
2 - Place 1 / 2 Voodoo spell-casters near Bruxa , that does the same damage as a level 2 mage tower and can use a fully upgraded Totem of Spirits and Totem of Weakness

Hope you like these ideas
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by SairiRM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 am

IMO the option three is the best. I like it more than the other two. But I have another idea. Heroes have a special tower with a very large range. You can upgrade the hero abilities with 3 different upgrades (like barracks).
User

by Finwer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:22 pm

+10000 coolsih points kevin!
P.S.
i like that ogre :lol:
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Sanzuwu13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 pm

SairiRM wrote:IMO the option three is the best. I like it more than the other two. But I have another idea. Heroes have a special tower with a very large range. You can upgrade the hero abilities with 3 different upgrades (like barracks).

Isn't your other idea kinda option three anyway? I do think option three sounds good.
User

Location: Ha'Kraj Plateau, recruiting trolls and half-trolls for the forces of good

by Sanzuwu13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Finwer wrote:+10000 coolsih points kevin!
P.S.
i like that ogre :lol:

The ogre is hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:
User

Location: Ha'Kraj Plateau, recruiting trolls and half-trolls for the forces of good

by Sanzuwu13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:31 pm

wailwail wrote:Hi guys this is my first post in the forum !

Ok , there is only one thing i can say about this idea . awesome :!: i support this :!:

Here are some examples :
Alric : With a tower like this , and being supported by 5 ( upgrade able ) sand warriors ( see upgrade list below ) and of course can be controlled with rally points
Upgrades :
1 -When a sand warrior dies , he spread sand over the enemy that killed him stunning him for 2 / 3 / 4 s and slowing enemies near him for 1 / 2 / 3 s ( just like Elora Wintersong Ability - but with sand , not ice )
2 - Increase sand warriors armor to Low / Medium / high

Mirage : With a tower like assassin's , standing on top of it and throwing her blades at the enemies while 3 ( upgrade able ) Assassins block the enemies
Upgrades : Just like the assassin's Tower upgrades

Cronan : This time , he has a tower like the spear wielding women in the savages forest stage . and just like he was upgraded by hero coins , if he upgraded his bird , he will have one , if he didn't he won't .
Upgrades :
1 - Summon 1 / 2 / 2 tigers with 140 / 180 / 220 health and 3-7 / 7-11 / 11-15 damage ( they are tigers , they have high damage ) and with no armor that act exactly like Boars
2 - Summon 2 / 3 / 4 random animals all over the battlefield in random locations that fight and block the enemies

Grawl : In a tower made of crystal and rock , he can be controlled with rally points
Upgrades :
1 - 1 / 2 Rock Creatures spawn on top of the tower that does the same damage as the tribal axethrowers and with the same firing speed
2 - Randomly ( i mean no cooldown time ) , Crystal comes out of the ground that does the same damage as the DWAARP " Core Drill " ability

Bruxa : A tower like the tribal axethrowers , she stands on top of it
1 - After an enemy die , a Kill-able by enemies skull with 1 / 1 health stays there and after 7 / 5 seconds it disappears and a Voodoo Warrior will be placed in the skull place , he has the same health and damage as the savage warrior , can automatically heal like barracks and won't eat dead corpses
2 - Place 1 / 2 Voodoo spell-casters near Bruxa , that does the same damage as a level 2 mage tower and can use a fully upgraded Totem of Spirits and Totem of Weakness

Hope you like these ideas

I do think these should have three upgrades, but these are some great towers. Alric's tower is nice, because the sand warriors finally have some power. Mirage's is just plain cool, and makes sense with her being a high-ranking assassin. I don't have as much to say about your ideas for Cronan and Grawl, but they're fabulous.

I do think that Bruxa being associated with Windwalkers Totem is just weird. But I really like having an upgrade to add more Voodoo spellcasters.
User

by SairiRM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Sanzuwu13 wrote:
SairiRM wrote:IMO the option three is the best. I like it more than the other two. But I have another idea. Heroes have a special tower with a very large range. You can upgrade the hero abilities with 3 different upgrades (like barracks).

Isn't your other idea kinda option three anyway? I do think option three sounds good.

He's saying that every hero can have his specific tower, for example Alleria the Ranger's Hideout, Gerald the Holy Order ect. I was saying that the hero has his own special tower nor a Hideout, barracks or something. The hero's abilities would be upgraded like the other 4-level towers, three upgrades in total. It would have it's own upgrade tree too.
User

by deoxsis12 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Dante and Karkinos (I don't even know what the big lug is!) Is where I'm stumped...

Nevertheless, a great idea!
Grawl for president! Get your free pet rock today!

Mission Report December 16 1991...
User

by Finwer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:44 pm

deoxsis12 wrote:Dante and Karkinos (I don't even know what the big lug is!) Is where I'm stumped...

Nevertheless, a great idea!

Dante could have that tower with dwarf that wield guns in Dark Descent :)
and Captain Blackthorne can have the SCUMM bar ;)
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Zonoro13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Well, that fanart is just awesome.
Gerald: Paladins.
Alleria: Rangers' Hideout, as shown.
Malik: His own tower or DWAARP (earthquakes, much?)
Bolin: Bertha/Mecha/combo of both
Ignus: His own tower (scorched earth all around?)
Magnus: Arcane
Denas: His own tower (spawns imperial guards?)
Elora: Her own tower, as shown by the fanart.
Ingvar: Barbarians
Hacksaw: A tower based on gnome shop items?
Oni: His own tower
Thor: A tower based on the lightning spell
Alric: His own tower (as shown and suggested)
Mirage: Assassin's Guild
Cronan: Spear Maidens was a great suggestion :)
Bruxa: Either axethrowers, necromancers, or a combo tower with one of each (double fire rate for both attacks)
Blackthorne: SCUMM Bar (with all three types of pirates available :D )
Nivus: Archmage, as shown.
Dierdre: Something similar to Shrine of Regnos or Sunray tower? (Nerfed, of course)
Grawl: The suggested tower
Sha'tra: His own tower
Karkinos: ???
Kutsao: Maybe a monk barracks?
Dante: Either his own tower or an adapted bastion
Kahz: ???
Ashbite: His own tower
Bonehart: An adapted necromancer?
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Sanzuwu13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:47 pm

SairiRM wrote:
Sanzuwu13 wrote:

He's saying that every hero can have his specific tower, for example Alleria the Ranger's Hideout, Gerald the Holy Order ect. I was saying that the hero has his own special tower nor a Hideout, barracks or something. The hero's abilities would be upgraded like the other 4-level towers, three upgrades in total. It would have it's own upgrade tree too.

Ah. Not quite enough towers to go around that way, I don't think...But I think some should be versions of advanced towers with the hero added when there is a clear thematic association (for ex, Alleria with Rangers, Gerald and Dierdre with Paladins, Mirage with Assassins, Ingvar with Barbarians), but others clearly shouldn't (such as Bruxa, Dante, Elora, Grawl, who aren't).
User

by benni369 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Great Idea!
Juice Box wrote:I HAVE NO FRIENDS BECAUSE YOU ALL SUCK.

Image Awesome stone golem made by FastAndBlast. (Thank you! :D )
User

by Zonoro13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:58 pm

There should, of course, bre graphical changes to those towers that are matched to heroes. The purple Archmage is a prime example.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Sanzuwu13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Since we agree on a lot of things, I'm going to add my comments to Zonoro's in blue.

Well, that fanart is just awesome. Aye, that it is.
Gerald: Paladins. Absolutely.
Alleria: Rangers' Hideout, as shown. Yes. Should still have Wildcat spawn, though.
Malik: His own tower or DWAARP (earthquakes, much?) I agree. Malik sure ain't a dwarf, but earthquake is a very specific thematic association that would make it work very well.
Bolin: Bertha/Mecha/combo of both Bolin is a gunner. I think he should be added onto a Dwarven Bastion.
Ignus: His own tower (scorched earth all around?) Yeah!
Magnus: Arcane Definitely.
Denas: His own tower (spawns imperial guards?) Perhaps a permanent catapult with an imperial guard or two?
Elora: Her own tower, as shown by the fanart. Definitely.
Ingvar: Barbarians What else?
Hacksaw: A tower based on gnome shop items? Yes.
Oni: His own tower Mhmm.
Thor: A tower based on the lightning spell Yes.
Alric: His own tower (as shown and suggested) Absolutely.
Mirage: Assassin's Guild Absolutely. And I think Mirage should be on the ground with her assassin squad rather than firing from the top like other ranged heroes, because of Lethal Strike. And from her teachings, the three lesser assassins should have Shadow Dodge like hers (since the tower has limited range, they should dodge to a random location within a small radius.
Cronan: Spear Maidens was a great suggestion :) Yeah!
Bruxa: Either axethrowers, necromancers, or a combo tower with one of each (double fire rate for both attacks) Her own tower. Why does everyone seem to think Bruxa goes with axethrowers? She is very different. I also think that her Voodoo is distinct from standard Necromancy, as it is unassociated with disease and is purple rather than green.
Blackthorne: SCUMM Bar (with all three types of pirates available :D ) Yes. Definitely should come of of SCUMM Bar.
Nivus: Archmage, as shown. Yes.
Dierdre: Something similar to Shrine of Regnos or Sunray tower? (Nerfed, of course) Absolutely not. Dierdre is a tank/healer, not a DPS hero, and she has "blue holy" thematicity (I define blue holy as holiness used mainly to heal and buff self and allies; conveniently, almost all of the associated skills are blue). I think she, like Gerald, should be with Paladins, and should be on the ground rather than safely away from the action.
Grawl: The suggested tower Absolutely.
Sha'tra: His own tower Yes. He's just too different from everything else.
Karkinos: ??? His own tower.
Kutsao: Maybe a monk barracks? Definitely monk barracks.
Dante: Either his own tower or an adapted bastion His own tower. Thematicity is wrong for Dwarven Bastion, Dante having his holy theme. Thematicity also wrong for Paladins, Dante being more "red holy" (I define red holy as focused on damaging and debuffing enemies. Dante is really the only example of red holy in KR).
Kahz: ??? His own tower.
Bonehart: An adapted necromancer? Yes. The necromancer's benefit from the association would be to deal true damage on base attack. Bonehart would would hover over a spot defined by a rally point somewhere within the range of the tower.
Ashbite: His own tower I put Ashbite after Bonehart because Bonehart's necromancer seems like a better jumping off point, as I envision the two as having the same mechanic. Ashbite's associate mage would be a pyromancer who deals fire (as in true) damage.
User

by SJBlood » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:10 am

I'll just add what I have to say too ... IN RED (also just for a few heroes, 'cause the others were covered

Alleria: Rangers' Hideout, as shown. Yes. Should still have Wildcat spawn, though.
Malik: His own tower or DWAARP (earthquakes, much?) I agree. Malik sure ain't a dwarf, but earthquake is a very specific thematic association that would make it work very well.
Bolin: Bertha/Mecha/combo of both Bolin is a gunner. I think he should be added onto a Dwarven Bastion. *cough* Musketeers *cough* Though the colour should be changed to a brownish reddish thing
Ignus: His own tower (scorched earth all around?) Yeah! What about Sorcerer Mage-ish tower ... thingy?
Denas: His own tower (spawns imperial guards?) Perhaps a permanent catapult with an imperial guard or two?
Thor: A tower based on the lightning spell Yes. Or Tesla ...
Mirage: Assassin's Guild Absolutely. And I think Mirage should be on the ground with her assassin squad rather than firing from the top like other ranged heroes, because of Lethal Strike. And from her teachings, the three lesser assassins should have Shadow Dodge like hers (since the tower has limited range, they should dodge to a random location within a small radius.
Bruxa: Either axethrowers, necromancers, or a combo tower with one of each (double fire rate for both attacks) Her own tower. Why does everyone seem to think Bruxa goes with axethrowers? She is very different. I also think that her Voodoo is distinct from standard Necromancy, as it is unassociated with disease and is purple rather than green.
Blackthorne: SCUMM Bar (with all three types of pirates available :D ) Yes. Definitely should come of of SCUMM Bar.
Dierdre: Something similar to Shrine of Regnos or Sunray tower? (Nerfed, of course) Absolutely not. Dierdre is a tank/healer, not a DPS hero, and she has "blue holy" thematicity (I define blue holy as holiness used mainly to heal and buff self and allies; conveniently, almost all of the associated skills are blue). I think she, like Gerald, should be with Paladins, and should be on the ground rather than safely away from the action. How about Templars? Ey?
Dante: Either his own tower or an adapted bastion His own tower. Thematicity is wrong for Dwarven Bastion, Dante having his holy theme. Thematicity also wrong for Paladins, Dante being more "red holy" (I define red holy as focused on damaging and debuffing enemies. Dante is really the only example of red holy in KR). Out of topic, but I ship him with Lucrezia ...
Bonehart: An adapted necromancer? Yes. The necromancer's benefit from the association would be to deal true damage on base attack. Bonehart would would hover over a spot defined by a rally point somewhere within the range of the tower.
Ashbite: His own tower I put Ashbite after Bonehart because Bonehart's necromancer seems like a better jumping off point, as I envision the two as having the same mechanic. Ashbite's associate mage would be a pyromancer who deals fire (as in true) damage.
Too bad you can't quote the look on my face.
User

by taotao » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:44 pm

good
User

by Zonoro13 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Your comment about musketeers and Bolin: no. The dwarven Bastion has dwarves, which Bolin is. He would be out of place in a musketeer garrison. Also, the bastion fits perfectly, with an area explosive attack.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Sanzuwu13 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:Your comment about musketeers and Bolin: no. The dwarven Bastion has dwarves, which Bolin is. He would be out of place in a musketeer garrison. Also, the bastion fits perfectly, with an area explosive attack.

Technically the Musketeers have an explosive attack too, but thematicity is better with Dwarven Bastion.
User

by Sanzuwu13 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:18 pm

New comments in green.

Bolin: Bertha/Mecha/combo of both Bolin is a gunner. I think he should be added onto a Dwarven Bastion. *cough* Musketeers *cough* Though the colour should be changed to a brownish reddish thing I think putting Malik and Thor with dwarves is good because of specific thematic associations. Bolin does have some association with Musketeers, as a gunner, and that combo would work. But other gun-wielding dwarves do already exist, and would be a better association for Bolin.
Ignus: His own tower (scorched earth all around?) Yeah! What about Sorcerer Mage-ish tower ... thingy? Nah. Ignus is _fire_ based, not orange-colored cursing magic.
Thor: A tower based on the lightning spell Yes. Or Tesla ... Why didn't I think of that? Like Malik, Thor ain't a dwarf, but he has very specific thematic associations (lightning) that would work well with the Tesla. (Also note that they both do have some thematicity with dwarves because of their chosen weapons.
Dierdre: Something similar to Shrine of Regnos or Sunray tower? (Nerfed, of course) Absolutely not. Dierdre is a tank/healer, not a DPS hero, and she has "blue holy" thematicity (I define blue holy as holiness used mainly to heal and buff self and allies; conveniently, almost all of the associated skills are blue). I think she, like Gerald, should be with Paladins, and should be on the ground rather than safely away from the action. How about Templars? Ey? Aside from the issue that Templars aren't good for anything (I wasn't even thinking about them when I first commented on this list), the thematicity is wrong. Templars are red holy (see below, I've given some redefinition). Dierdre is blue holy.
Dante: Either his own tower or an adapted bastion His own tower. Thematicity is wrong for Dwarven Bastion, Dante having his holy theme. Thematicity also wrong for Paladins, Dante being more "red holy" (I define red holy as focused on damaging and debuffing enemies. Dante is really the only example of red holy in KR). Out of topic, but I ship him with Lucrezia ...Actually, I realize that Templars' abilities are red holy. This means that there are red holy defensive stuff, but there is the blue holy Holy Strike, too. Red holy still mainly focuses on damage and debuff. Anyway, Templars being red holy does mean that Dante could camp out on top of a Templar outpost and fire from there. The Templars would be weak, but Dante is very strong, I hear, so I suppose they'd balance out.
Ashbite: His own tower I put Ashbite after Bonehart because Bonehart's necromancer seems like a better jumping off point, as I envision the two as having the same mechanic. Ashbite's associate mage would be a pyromancer who deals fire (as in true) damage.[/quote]
User

Next