Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by The_TaTs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:13 pm

wailwail wrote:You didn't answer my question, you only made 1 paladin hero. WHY?

Sorry, missed it because someone put a very distracting Liam Neeson (going full Zeus) and destroyed my attention span.

We try as hard as we can NOT to repeat Heroes. We can go for similar concepts, but ultimately, if we can choose between another Paladin or something entirely different, we rather risk it and try to see what we can come up with rather that repeat something. That's all there's to it.
User

by razieltnt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:14 pm

The_TaTs wrote: the exhaustion of that first year probably hurt their sanity quite a bit.

So this is why the games are that good. Understood.
This is the most boozesome, alcohol-soaked dwarven moradinian warrior cleric that I have ever drank with.
Thank You RaZoR LeAf for Your time and commitment.
User

by wailwail » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:19 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
wailwail wrote:You didn't answer my question, you only made 1 paladin hero. WHY?

Sorry, missed it because someone put a very distracting Liam Neeson (going full Zeus) and destroyed my attention span.

We try as hard as we can NOT to repeat Heroes. We can go for similar concepts, but ultimately, if we can choose between another Paladin or something entirely different, we rather risk it and try to see what we can come up with rather that repeat something. That's all there's to it.

Yep. Because we have 3 dragons, 2 twilight elves, 2 archers, 3 far-eastern themed heroes, 2 sharp-shooters, 2 pirates, and 7 MAGES wtf.
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by SairiRM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Do you plan on making a Turn-Based japanese-like retro RPG (similar to Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy series, Dragon Quest series) with KR graphics and lore? (I know, I've brought up this RPG thingy a few times, but I really want to know the devs' response.)
User

by SairiRM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:22 pm

wailwail wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:

Yep. Because we have 3 dragons, 2 twilight elves, 2 archers, 3 far-eastern themed heroes, 2 sharp-shooters, 2 pirates, and 7 MAGES wtf.

3 dragons, 3 far-eastern themed heroes, 7 mages with completely different classes and abilities; 1 pirate is a secondary hero, and also who's the other sharpshooter hero besides Bolin?

Also Eridan is almost completely different in playstyle from Alleria because of his melee prowess and bigger number of abilities.

The only one in which I agree are Lynn and Reg'son who have very similar classes, concepts and abilities.
Last edited by SairiRM on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:25 pm

wailwail wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:

Most of what you are naming are similar by being from the same race or using the same weapons. The Hero concept is something entirely different. You can have two human knights with good alignment and different concepts... one can be a Paladin (Gerald) the other can be a charismatic commander (Prince Denas).
Even the dragons are very different from one another in terms of concept.
Mages can be very different from one another. Vez'Nan as a Hero has different powers than Arivan.

I'll say that the biggest repetition is between Alleria and Eridan... those two are pretty much the same in terms of concept. In this particular case, it was justified because we felt we couldn't make a game about elves and not have a Legolas based hero.

Ultimately, if two Heroes are similar, is more of an unfortunate coincidence than anything else.
User

by Simmonds91 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:27 pm

True true, race/theme doesnt matter, its the playstyle that counts.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by wailwail » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Alrighty then, if the race was a problem, there some dwarf paladins in fantasy too. You can even have a high elf like the mage towers one and have it fight it melee and call it a paladin!
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Everybody's posting before I can but I'm not letting this block of text go to waste:

wailwail wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:

As if Bonehart has anything in common with Ashbite or Faustus. Lynn and Reg'son are pretty similar, but Lynn has the advantage of being one of the few cool female heroes. ;) Alleria has a very different playstyle from Eridan. Kutsao and Oni have nothing in common, and I don't know who the third Asian hero is. :? Sharpshooters, as in Dante and Bolin? Again, they are very different. Blackthorne is a very different pirate from the level-specific hero who rides a boat, which is completely original. As for the mages, they also have pretty drastically different playstyles and themes. The only similar heroes were Reg'son and Lynn, but they're both some of my favourite heroes, so I'm ok with that. :mrgreen:

Ironhide, you guys are assuredly original designers. :D
BBB

by Oof_Shunt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Why are Rising Tides and Shadowmoon the only expansions with their own music??
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:54 pm

kingdom_rush wrote:Why are Rising Tides and Shadowmoon the only expansions with their own music??

Because the most effort went into those ones. We better get a Dragon Throne mini-campaign of equal or better quality; the Hype Gods mandate it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
BBB

by blu3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:56 pm

how often are you guys on the forums?
breadsticks
User

Location: Across the street from that place, you know, that place, the one with the sign?

by The_TaTs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:15 pm

blu3 wrote:how often are you guys on the forums?

I try to log in everyday.

Colo appears from time to time, unexpectedly and often uninvited, as he should, being a half-leprechaun.

Pencil is the newest addition to the team and he also shows up sporadically.

The rest of the team often lurks from time to time.
User

by blu3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 pm

have you ever planned to make a hero or have drawn out sketches of one but decided to scrap them later on?
breadsticks
User

Location: Across the street from that place, you know, that place, the one with the sign?

by wailwail » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:I don't know who the third Asian hero is. :? It's Xin, pretty obvious :geek:
Ironhide, you guys are assuredly original designers. :D

Exactly, they CAN find a way to implement a paladin in the game. Maybe someone more magic focused, a paladin supportive hero. Specializes in buffing towers while still maintaining steady dps and maybe even healing.
User

by blu3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:27 pm

uhh you saw how that went with deirdre...not good
breadsticks
User

by wailwail » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:29 pm

People learn from mistakes, that's why they are people.
User

by Oof_Shunt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
kingdom_rush wrote:Why are Rising Tides and Shadowmoon the only expansions with their own music??

Because the most effort went into those ones. We better get a Dragon Throne mini-campaign of equal or better quality; the Hype Gods mandate it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hulking Rage was good, and the original Rotten Forest/Sarelgaz/Acaroth were good. I don't like any of the 2-stage updates!!!!!
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:47 pm

blu3 wrote:have you ever planned to make a hero or have drawn out sketches of one but decided to scrap them later on?

Yes. Luckily it only happened a few times and we were able to use those concepts in the newer games. But we still have a few scraped ideas that will probably never see the light of day.
User

by bolin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 pm

razieltnt wrote:Is the general writing style like

void func()
{
//do stuff
}

or

void func(){ //do stuff
}

?