Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by AerisDraco » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Wait.
Was that spoilers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by The_TaTs » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:43 pm

SairiRM wrote:Do you plan on making a Turn-Based japanese-like retro RPG (similar to Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy series, Dragon Quest series) with KR graphics and lore? (I know, I've brought up this RPG thingy a few times, but I really want to know the devs' response.)

We can't really tell you what we are planning next. It would spoil the surprise.
But RPG is a genre we like a lot and are seriously considering... I very much doubt it will include a hero that rides yellow birds and uses a massive sword, though.

kingdom_rush wrote:Why are Rising Tides and Shadowmoon the only expansions with their own music??

We were still getting the hang of making expansions and eventually settled for more reasonable production costs and more importantly, a more reasonable schedule.

Big Bad Bug wrote:I've got one: Which game is Ironhide's personal favourite that they've made? Mine is still the original KR. :D

I think the opinions are somewhat divided on the studio, but probably everyone will agree that Origins was the most polished one... the engine works better, the graphics have an insane level of detail and the theme is more focused (the first KR was super generic and the second was a weird mix of things). In terms of which one if the most fun to play... it's a 50/50 between Frontiers and Origins.
In terms of soundtrack, Frontiers is the favourite of 2/3 of the guys here... I'm on the remaining 1/3. :shock:

AerisDraco wrote:I must repeat:
Will the prophecy of the great balance update ever come to pass?

More questions:
-Will this thread be the most posted ever?
-What is the favorite tower of the devs? (Individually if possible)
-Are explosions cool?
-What is your opinion of the world?

Let's see.

-Not sure. It's something we know it would be great to do, but can't figure out how to do it without affecting all the other stuff we have in our schedule.

More answers:
-Hope Not
- Can't reply for the other 20 guys on the studio. The Big Bertha from KR1 and the Battle Mecha from KRF and all the mages towers in KRO are liked by all of us.
- Explosions are always awesome, unless you are a cool guy... Cool guys don't look at explosions, they turn around and they walk away.
- As far as worlds goes, this one seems to be doing a fantastic job in not being nearly as deadly as all the other ones we've found so far... so that's good.

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Please Dont Ban Me wrote:Which Endless mode do you think is the hardest?

Ruins of Nas'de for how powerful the spells are. Rage Valley is also pretty hardcore.

I'm not a dev but I like answering the questions with my own thoughts. :D

Thank you Big Bad Bug for sharing that with the whole class.

It's kinda hard to say, since each game has it's own mechanics.

KR: Rage Valley
KRF: Temple of Ethereal Evil (it's an end game endless and if you go without everything upgraded you are going to have a bad time)
KRO: Twilight Invasion (the Brutes are a force of nature).

delebru wrote:Can I ask questions too? :oops:

Delebru knows everything. Why would you need to ask questions. Is this a test?

Suna wrote:I have sent an email a while ago and received no reply.

Let me try here again.

Are you currently looking for investors willing to chip in some (not so big) amount of money? I am personally interested.
From past experience, I do feel you are walking in the right path.

Sorry if we didn't reply your question by email! We mainly focus on providing tech support and sometimes these kind of questions slip trough.

We are not looking for investors at this point. We take a bit of pride on finally being an independent studio that can publish our own games. But, if we ever do something like a Kickstarter, then your financial support will be most welcome. ;)

Juice Box wrote:Ooohoohoo, been wanting a thread like this for a while now!

Don't really want to burden Tats with questions, though, so I'll just say one for now:

Do you guys ever plan on releasing concept art for scrapped enemy ideas? Like what you guys did for the towers? 'Cause, you know, some of us here really like enemy units... hehehe :b .

Thank you for being considerate with me, Volcano Girl, you are awesome.

We do in fact talk often about releasing concept art, both discarded and otherwise. Can't tell for sure when or how we would do it. Sometimes we share stuff on our Facebook page.
User

by The Kingmaker » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Dark Spitter.......

I guess I shouldn't know this yet?
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by bolin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:50 pm

xstargaming wrote:Was Origins made with a custom engine or a third-party one? (This may have been answered in the past, but if it was I forgot the answer or missed the topic where it was answered.)

All KR ios games use cocos2d as a base framework for handling sprites, sounds and other stuff and there's an engine for tower defense games built by us on top of it. The original version was ported by lito from flash and it kept evolving during Frontiers and Origins development.
Ironhide Developer

by Manijure » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:51 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Wait.
Was that spoilers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Kingmaker wrote:Dark Spitter.......

I guess I shouldn't know this yet?

Uh.... yep. Only us beta testers know of this.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by The Kingmaker » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:58 pm

:S

My treasured creations:
User

by The_TaTs » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:02 pm

xstargaming wrote:What a wondrous thread! I shall begin with the following questions:

1. Was Origins made with a custom engine or a third-party one? (This may have been answered in the past, but if it was I forgot the answer or missed the topic where it was answered.)
2. What led to the decision to create a tower defense game in the first place?
3. How long did conceptualizing Origins take? That really leads into: how long, approximately, did the studio spend on each section of game development?
4. Do you have a favorite bot that constantly browses the forum? Google Bot seems the most charismatic to me.
5. If we were to storm the studio, what nearby item would you use to defend yourself?
6. And most importantly: does Ironhide have a favorite type of pizza?

Also:

bolin wrote:Origins lines of code count is 158129 right now, including updates.
This doesn't include code which is shared between all three versions of KR.

That's mildly terrifying, since the highest I've ever gone in line count is about 30,000 - 50,000. :shock:

1. Bolin just answered this.
2. Alvaro, Gonzalo and Pablo (Lito) loved the genre and decided that it was a great place to start.
3. Roughly 3 months for concept and early development. Another 5 months for production. 1 Month to polish. Almost 9 months in total.
4. Google Bot may seem nice, but he is clearly plotting something. Be careful.
5. We would valiantly hold the line by throwing action figures and other assorted toys at you.
6. Magic pizza. Is the pizza that lives in your heart but can never be tasted. A goal to push you forward.
User

by Finwer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Favorite hero of each of the members?
This "Pencil" guy is a new addition to the IH team or he just made his forum account?
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by AerisDraco » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:23 pm

Wait, now that spoilers have been found:
When is the next update?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Pencil » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:29 pm

You've found me out, I'm a fake, I cannot live with the shame anymore!

Oh, wait. No, yep, just checked, I'm working at the office.

Clearly questioning my Iron-ity will become a recurring theme. I expect no less of you guys.

And my favourite hero is Alric! have a thing for "starter" dudes in every game. I also think his concept is quite original, he doesn´t really fit in any box.
Ironhide Developer

by Finwer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Pencil wrote:You've found me out, I'm a fake, I cannot live with the shame anymore!

Clearly questioning my Iron-ity will become a recurring theme. I expect no less of you guys.

And my favourite hero is Alric! have a thing for "starter" dudes in every game. I also think his concept is quite original, he doesn´t really fit in any box.

I said "he just made his forum account" as in he already was a dev, but he just now made his account.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Ooh, this thread is getting messy, but, it's worthwhile to see your answers. You think a lot like me based on your opinions about the games. ;)

1. Are there any design decisions you regret/messed up and learned from in any if the games, besides the obvious hero balancing issues?
  2. How often does anyone at Ironhide check the Fanfiction forum?
  3. Which hero do you all find the most fun to use?

I don't expect a quick answer because of the broadness of those questions, so I will not rush you or remind you to answer my questions constantly. :mrgreen:
BBB

by wailwail » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Pencil wrote:And my favourite hero is Alric!
my favourite hero is Alric!
favourite hero
favourite

Oh my :cry:
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Pencil » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Finwer wrote:
Pencil wrote:You've found me out, I'm a fake, I cannot live with the shame anymore!

I said "he just made his forum account" as in he already was a dev, but he just now made his account.

Oh, no , I've actually been lurking since before I got into the studio. Liked KR since it came out back in 2011 :)
Ironhide Developer

by Finwer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Pencil wrote:Oh, no , I've actually been lurking since before I got into the studio. Liked KR since it came out back in 2011 :)

So you used to play the original one before and now you actually work for them? That's so awesome!
User

by xstargaming » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:44 pm

bolin wrote:All KR ios games use cocos2d as a base framework for handling sprites, sounds and other stuff and there's an engine for tower defense games built by us on top of it. The original version was ported by lito from flash and it kept evolving during Frontiers and Origins development.

Ah, cocos. I've made use of it in the past! Quite useful, though a tad tricky at first. :)

The_TaTs wrote:1. Bolin just answered this.
2. Alvaro, Gonzalo and Pablo (Lito) loved the genre and decided that it was a great place to start.
3. Roughly 3 months for concept and early development. Another 5 months for production. 1 Month to polish. Almost 9 months in total.
4. Google Bot may seem nice, but he is clearly plotting something. Be careful.
5. We would valiantly hold the line by throwing action figures and other assorted toys at you.
6. Magic pizza. Is the pizza that lives in your heart but can never be tasted. A goal to push you forward.

Awesome. Thank you for answering all of my questions! :D
User

by Pencil » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:59 pm

wailwail wrote:
Pencil wrote:And my favourite hero is Alric!
my favourite hero is Alric!
favourite hero
favourite

Oh my :cry:

Went to an Irish school, so I write "Favourite" "colour" and "doughnut". I'm a weird mix of language-ey stuff.
Ironhide Developer

by razieltnt » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:01 pm

Have You got any counter, how many and what franchises did You use in Kingdom Rushes?
Is it over 20 or less?
This is the most boozesome, alcohol-soaked dwarven moradinian warrior cleric that I have ever drank with.
Thank You RaZoR LeAf for Your time and commitment.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:07 pm

razieltnt wrote:Have You got any counter, how many and what franchises did You use in Kingdom Rushes?
Is it over 20 or less?

It is way over 20, I can tell you that. ;)
BBB

by The Kingmaker » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Whats wrong with Anglicised words? You've never picked me up on it.

I like Pencil. He seems cool

My treasured creations:
User

PreviousNext