Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by Pencil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Well, they objectively have some good shit. You might not like their more opinionated videos, which is fine. But their game design is pretty much on point.
Ironhide Developer

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:10 pm

They are sometimes wrong, like about Dark Souls 2's handling of difficulty or how to balance MMOs for constantly engaging gameplay, unless they just explained it wrong. Either way, when they are right, it's pretty obvious and general logic. Take for example their video on making good villains in games. "They have to have motivation, so they can be sympathetic."

All characters with actual character to them should have motivation. It's what drives the story. So, of course, if the villain is capable of decision-making, they should have motivation. Their information doesn't help me, not because it's ALWAYS wrong, but because it's too basic. I'm out of their league, you could say. I still watch their videos to see what they have to say out of curiosity, but it never actually teaches me anything new. Even the series analyzing Dark Souls is done better by another YouTuber, Epicnamebro, whose series is still progressing and already leagues ahead of theirs. I've played Dark Souls more than any other game, but his videos taught me some new stuff while Side Quest pointed out the obvious.
BBB

by Pencil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Well, I wouldn't brush them off that easily. Basic information is actually the easiest to lose track of when you begin developing complicated systems. Also, understanding the meta-side of game design is almost as important as designing. Maybe you already know about skinner boxes and conditioning, among other psychological concepts which are central to game design, but understanding how the use or abuse of these mark the line between responsible and irresponsible game design is so freaking important.

Besides, I've learned the hard way that, while theory can seem extremely basic in some cases, actually going and making a game following those principles is a whole 'nother rodeo. In the end, the best advice is always gonna be get yo' game jams on and just make games :)
Ironhide Developer

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:17 pm

So far, when I write down my ideas, I make sure they all integrate the principles of gaming logic and the lone game's logic, and personally, it's balancing that becomes the biggest focus.
BBB

by The_TaTs » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:24 pm

MisterX wrote:I have some questions about bug fixing:

1. What is your main source? Do you get posts via mail, facebook or do you browse often the forum? How often do you browse the bug related topics? I know that you have beta testers now but often bugs are noticed after testing and you didn't always have beta testers in the past.

2. Do you have a "timeline" for bug fixes? For example: If they aren't critical, we will only fix bugs if we also release new content.

3. Do you have a list with bugs that still have to be fixed (Bravebark - Rootspiked not spreading correctly on iPhone)? Which bug was the hardest to fix (are there any bugs you couldn't solve)?

1. Use everything we can. The Forums, Support Tickets, Twitter, Facebook and even black magic.

2. We do have a timeline and we have made updates with only bug fixes for both the first KR and for Frontiers.

3. We do, there is a ton of stuff to fix. There are several things that were hard to fix, but the one bug that comes to mind and that we still haven't been able to fix is the force shutdown of music apps... we dropped the ball with that one.

Big Bad Bug wrote:As someone who is going to soon delve into learning code, I'm very unlearned in contemporary game design and really don't even quite know what to ask for other than advice.

I want to make original games, of course, with unique concepts that will make them stand out in the market. I know that game design, like all art, is more about the execution than the inspiration, and that doing things alone is nigh impossible. Communication is key, understanding long term finances will have a big impact when making decisions. The limitations of time, money, and technology are things that I have to figure out how to make the most of constantly. Experimentation is key, and mistakes will be made. No game can ever be perfect for everyone, but the goal is try to get as much done, and hopefully done right, as possible.

I feel as though there's a lot I don't get, because of the answers you guys have to certain things introduce a lot of new concepts to me, but I can't put it into any words other than: What am I missing, and how can I learn more about it?

Pencil sort of answered this but I'll give my two cents...

The best way to learn anything is by doing it. Make games... not just writing down your ideas but actually go and make a game. Start with a very small project, something that you can finish in less than a month. Then move up the ladder.

Try to get in touch with other young game developers like yourself. Find out if there are game studios in your city, or your State and ask them if you can visit.

Finally, you should totally try to participate on the Global Game Jam... it's on January. It's a very cool event where people all over the world have to create video games in 48hrs. Last year I think there were participants from over 40 countries, including Uruguay.

A Jam is great because it really puts you to the test but also lets you meet new people and who knows... you might even come up with an actually successful idea like the dudes from "Surgeon Simulator" (yes, that game was created in a Global Game Jam).
User

by wailwail » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:33 pm

QUESTION TIME AGAIN! Why is Pencil's forum name black colored even if he has the dev tag?
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Pencil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Tats hasnt found the "orange" button yet. It's somewhere in the office but we can't find it.
Ironhide Developer

by Kowaghuz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:11 pm

wailwail wrote:QUESTION TIME AGAIN! Why is Pencil's forum name black colored even if he has the dev tag?

The mods are evil bullies, as simple as that.
User

by Finwer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Do any of the IH members play Dota 2? Because I see a lot of heroes and units named or referencing some of the heroes in that game. (Ex: Hacksaw, the Ogre Magi, the new Gyrocopter guy etc.)
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Pencil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Me,Esti and Colo still play, but I understand more veteran members of IH played dota all stars back in the day :)
Ironhide Developer

by Finwer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:40 pm

Pencil wrote:Me,Esti and Colo still play, but I understand more veteran members of IH played dota all stars back in the day :)

Awesome! Can you guys give me your Steam usernames and maybe say what your avatar pics are? I would love to play with you guys! :D
User

by Pencil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Can't answer for Colo or Esti, but my user is Crowscry. I don't play much, like at all lately (work and uni drain me to hell), but if you see me on Dota, feel free to invite me :)
Ironhide Developer

by Finwer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Pencil wrote:Can't answer for Colo or Esti, but my user is Crowscry. I don't play much, like at all lately (work and uni drain me to hell), but if you see me on Dota, feel free to invite me :)

That's what I'll do for sure! :star:
EDIT: You are the guy with the avatar in black and white, with a guy with a hat on and a crow on his head right?
User

by RZRider » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Hello
I am a very young proggramer. Like 11-13( I will not tell exact age). I do not know what to do. I am have a couple books for it. I am working on python although have not worked on it for about 2 months. I really suck. I can probably make a triangle.I am really busy with school right now. Weekends are still busy because of cousins from Florida. Any way do you have any recommendations. Programming languages that I should probably focus on
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Favourite songs and movies amongst the studio?

What about least favourites?
BBB

by xstargaming » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:47 pm

If, suddenly, the team had the power to make any dessert appear before them at will, what dessert would it be?
User

by AerisDraco » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:12 pm

What number pencil is Pencil?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by The_TaTs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:06 pm

RZRider wrote:Hello
I am a very young proggramer. Like 11-13( I will not tell exact age). I do not know what to do. I am have a couple books for it. I am working on python although have not worked on it for about 2 months. I really suck. I can probably make a triangle.I am really busy with school right now. Weekends are still busy because of cousins from Florida. Any way do you have any recommendations. Programming languages that I should probably focus on

Maybe you should try something like Stencil. It's a very cool and user-friendly software that will let you learn how to make games.

Also, Unity is the big thing right now, but by the time you are old enough to have a job in the video game industry, maybe it will be obsolete. That's why you should first learn how to "think like a video game programmer" and then learn different programming languages.

You know how to reach us if you have more questions. ;)

Big Bad Bug wrote:Favourite songs and movies amongst the studio?

You are making me ask another 20 dudes about their favourite songs and movies. I hate you so much right now. :cry:

Favourite movies: Star Wars (The old trilogy), Mad Max 1 and 2 and the latest one (Road Warrior), Die Hard 1 and 2, Robocop, and pretty much anything from Studio Ghibli, Martin Scorsese and David Lynch.

Favourite songs: .... There is zero consensus for this. But many of us loved the original soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy and it was played on the office speakers for several weeks.

Least favourite movies: Submerged (a Steven Seagal movie that happens in Uruguay.... yes! Really!), "El Noctambulo" (the one and only superhero movie made in Uruguay... it's so bad I have no words for it...) and any and all chick flicks.

Least favourite songs: Pretty much all of us don't like latin rhythms like Kumbia, Reggeton or Bachata... but then again, that's what's played on the clubs, so we're kinda used to it.

xstargaming wrote:If, suddenly, the team had the power to make any dessert appear before them at will, what dessert would it be?

That one is super easy....

ICE CREAM. Preferably with chocolate and our country's specialty "Dulce de leche"... mmmh.

AerisDraco wrote:What number pencil is Pencil?

Pencil is Number One, obviously.
User

by johnP » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Not sure about the favourite movie of the whole team but is certainly not Oblivion, some people here had a large and heated discussion once to define if it was an horrible movie or just a bad one...
Ironhide Developer

by The_TaTs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 pm

johnP wrote:

Not sure about the favourite movie of the whole team but is certainly not Oblivion, some people here had a large and heated discussion once to define if it was an horrible movie or just a bad one...

I actually liked that movie. So definitely there's no consensus. :P
User

PreviousNext