Ask the Studio

Forum rules, Introducing yourself, News about Ironhide and more!

Re: Ask the Studio

by dimumurray » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:59 am

Got a few more questions for you guys.

Entity-Component-Systems(ECS) are pretty much the standard these days when it comes to game architecture. How deeply have your devs explored this form of data-oriented design? What do you identify as its strengths and weaknesses?

Unity does a half-way decent job of implementing the pattern; it has entities(aka game objects) and components. However, Unity does not separate logic out into discrete systems/processes as some other ECS frameworks do (example Richard Lord's Ash Framework). I feel that Unity's ECS implementation falls short as a result. Coupling logic with data is a hallmark of OOP but data-oriented design offers much more in terms of flexibility when the two are kept separate. What are your thoughts on the issue?
Last edited by dimumurray on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

by Juice Box » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:26 am

The_TaTs wrote:Least favourite movies: Submerged (a Steven Seagal movie that happens in Uruguay.... yes! Really!), "El Noctambulo" (the one and only superhero movie made in Uruguay... it's so bad I have no words for it...) and any and all chick flicks.

Mm, yeah, okay, I hate Ironhide now.
User

by Finwer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:19 pm

Are we going to hear more about King Banesti and the Kingdom of Niroma in future installments?
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Manijure » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Finwer wrote:Are we going to hear more about King Banesti and the Kingdom of Niroma in future installments?

I am a bit curious about that; the Curse of Castle Blackburn is a very fun and interesting mini-campaign, and I'd love to see Banesti's connection to Lord Blackburn or how Blackburn got corrupted by evil.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by AerisDraco » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Will the Orange dwarf/button that grants dev status ever be found?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Finwer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Manijure wrote:
Finwer wrote:Are we going to hear more about King Banesti and the Kingdom of Niroma in future installments?

I am a bit curious about that; the Curse of Castle Blackburn is a very fun and interesting mini-campaign, and I'd love to see Banesti's connection to Lord Blackburn or how Blackburn got corrupted by evil.

I would like to see more interaction with them in the actual mini-campaign. Like his actual troops coming to rescue him in one of the levels or him being actually freed and then you can maybe use him as a level specific hero in the heroic and iron challenges. Maybe keeping this for The Great Fixing that we will get in the future. ;)
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by brandonjack » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Is the update coming out on the 19th the one that was scheduled for September? Or are they two separate updates?

Which hero was the most difficult to design/draw/program in Origins? Which has the longest line of code?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:57 pm

A more personal question: I live in California right now, but could move somewhere else within the country of the USA. What colleges would you recommend for becoming a game developer? I prefer being an idea guy; in charge of things during development.

A less personal question: How long would the original 3-man team behind KR reckon that it took them to learn how to code?
BBB

by phillipriv9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Can u delete the Chinese bot spam posts.
1 there I put something here
User

by phillipriv9 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Question
Do any of u ever look In the fan fiction area to get Hero ideas?
1 there I put something here
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:37 pm

phillipriv9 wrote:Question
Do any of u ever look In the fan fiction area to get Hero ideas?

The_TaTs wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:2. How often does anyone at Ironhide check the Fanfiction forum?[/list]

The Fanfiction section of the Forums is a bit like Mordor. We enter at our own peril and never without a short, chubby guy willing to carry us if we falter. Jokes asides, Colo and I usually lurk in that section from time to time.
BBB

by Lord of all evil » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:35 am

Tats, is it possible to add a hero skins update to KR or KRF and KRO
User

by flamemaster368 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Do you people, as in Ironhide, plan to make a mini-campaign for Dragon Throne or are you just going to leave it there on the map? Because I see a lot of people hoping/expecting a mini-campaign, but can't find any actual confirmation from the devs.

Thanks to shadownight for the awesome avatar!
User

by The Kingmaker » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Slightly connected to the previous question, when conceptualising a new (let's say KR for now) game, do you envision all future updates then and there or leave yourselves some wriggle room? When creating a map for this new world, do you add things to tease for what is already determined to come in future or just for depth and to create hype about future, but not yet started, updates?

For instance when making the Saurians did you think of Xyzzy and the Deathcoils at the same time as the rest (not fully, but concepts) and a level such as Darklight Depths, or did you make what was needed for the base game and after you decided to make a Saurian Update you made them. A possible third thig was you made concepts that you discarded and then reused them for updates.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Oof_Shunt » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Have any of you guys at the studio played N64 games like Ocarina of Time/DK 64/Banjo-Kazooie ?
User

by razieltnt » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:37 am

How many dwarves will be in future installments of Your games?

Just a little?
Some?
A lot?
By me beard, dis many dwarven lads ?
This is the most boozesome, alcohol-soaked dwarven moradinian warrior cleric that I have ever drank with.
Thank You RaZoR LeAf for Your time and commitment.
User

by SealDarklight » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Im a huge fan of a game and i make allot of my made ideas but i have a question. What is the most powerfull race that exist in kingdom rush?
User

by wailwail » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Powerful lore-wise or gameplay-wise..?
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Lord of all evil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:52 pm

I expected Ironhide to be done with Kingdom Rush, but one final epic level with all the enemies fighting together or at least one more endless mode would be nice.
However, is there any hope for more Frontiers levels, I feel kingdom rush frontiers is quite unfinished.
And I hope there are at least more levels with more content for origins, if updating frontiers is impossible.
If Frontiers is completely finished, make larger campaigns like Shadowmoon and Rising Tides for Origins as well.
If that cannot be accomplished or if the studio does not want to do that, then I hope there will be more of the Kingdom Rush series and newer, and more interesting applications to the universe.
If you guys plan to stop at KR4, then please make an RPG or a minecraft style version of kingdom rush which can be modded by fans with the knowledge to code, so there is a much larger gameplay possibility.

You guys are doing a great job, I am waiting for your first franchise to become one of the most successful games around.
User

by FrankieGlen98 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Not sure if this was asked but will we ever get to see or use the Queen of Aredhel in Kingdom Rush Origins? Also will there be anymore Kingdom Rush: Comic episodes?
User

PreviousNext